Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern

  • Thread starter Thread starter Skeptic92
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear in mind, this “discovery” may go the same route as the supposed breakthrough in cold fusion a few years ago. We’ll need to watch this space. Somebody check the news feeds from last month to see of the retraction is there 😛
 
So, I’m curious about how you guys feel about this…

You’d never see a headline like from the Catholic Church. I mean, physicists and the Catholic Church make claims about what they believe to be true about the universe. However, these two groups take fundamentally different approaches to how their claims are validated and investigated. The field of physics as a whole will revise fundamental assumptions when the evidence calls for it, but Catholicism will never.

And realm of religion seems to be unique in this, isn’t it? They make very huge claims about the world we live in, but their validation of those claims is nothing compared to physics (or economics or psychology). And where physics will happily overturn a long-held belief like relativity if the evidence leads them there, Catholicism by definition will not…
 
So, I’m curious about how you guys feel about this…

You’d never see a headline like from the Catholic Church. I mean, physicists and the Catholic Church make claims about what they believe to be true about the universe. However, these two groups take fundamentally different approaches to how their claims are validated and investigated. The field of physics as a whole will revise fundamental assumptions when the evidence calls for it, but Catholicism will never.

And realm of religion seems to be unique in this, isn’t it? They make very huge claims about the world we live in, but their validation of those claims is nothing compared to physics (or economics or psychology). And where physics will happily overturn a long-held belief like relativity if the evidence leads them there, Catholicism by definition will not…
The Catholic Church will clarify the truth in greater detail when Divine Light is shed upon it, science plays around with the toys God has left it, (nature) The difference between the Catholic Church and Science, is science doesn’t deal with spirituality, the Catholic Church deals with both the spiritual and physical.
 
Bear in mind, this “discovery” may go the same route as the supposed breakthrough in cold fusion a few years ago. We’ll need to watch this space. Somebody check the news feeds from last month to see of the retraction is there 😛
Actually, if the discovery holds up, then it won’t be long before we will be able to check news feeds from next month.
 
The Catholic Church will clarify the truth in greater detail when Divine Light is shed upon it, science plays around with the toys God has left it, (nature) The difference between the Catholic Church and Science, is science doesn’t deal with spirituality, the Catholic Church deals with both the spiritual and physical.
So what does the Pope think about these neutrinos breaking god’s natural laws?
 
So what does the Pope think about these neutrinos breaking god’s natural laws?
Who’s to say that God doesn’t make an exception for neutrinos, or that the Neutrino Exception isn’t part of God’s natural laws? Just sayin’. . .
 
So what does the Pope think about these neutrinos breaking god’s natural laws?
I don’t know what the Pope thinks about this, he probably hasn’t even heard of it, he’s still used to those old ancient light years 😃 In the Bible, natural laws were broken, the raising of Lazarus, the blind seeing, the dumb speak, the lame walk… I’m sure the Pope won’t be shocked by what God can do. I mean if God can cause the sun to crash to earth and go back to it’s place, then he’s hardly likely to get in a twist about this so called great revelation…
 
This is probably overblown as they have done in the past. I remember reading about a similar finding some years ago. The trick was that the particle traveling at the speed of light was bouncing, and thus the surface of the particle was oscillatiing between just below to just above the absolute. We’re talking semantics. This finding is probably as significant as the cold fusion broohaha in 1989. Einstein is still the man as far as I’m concerned.

The speed of light cannot be surpassed anymore than there can be a lesser value than 0. The speed of light is actually a misnomer, because it is a state when the value of the passage of time is 0 and there can be nothing less than that. You wanna go fast? Stand still and you’re going exactly as fast as everything else in the universe. And don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. Since they’re all doing the same thing, they’re hardly an objective observer. 🙂
 
I haven’t heard of any of them raising someone from the dead yet…
 
So, I’m curious about how you guys feel about this…

You’d never see a headline like from the Catholic Church. I mean, physicists and the Catholic Church make claims about what they believe to be true about the universe. However, these two groups take fundamentally different approaches to how their claims are validated and investigated. The field of physics as a whole will revise fundamental assumptions when the evidence calls for it, but Catholicism will never.

And realm of religion seems to be unique in this, isn’t it? They make very huge claims about the world we live in, but their validation of those claims is nothing compared to physics (or economics or psychology). And where physics will happily overturn a long-held belief like relativity if the evidence leads them there, Catholicism by definition will not…
Good evening, exalt,

This post sure wanders from the OP.

Science observes, tests and theorizes about the material world. Religion reports on the spirit world. Need to allow different standards for different worlds.

And, that’s as far down your path as I will go with you.

God loves you,
Don
 
Good evening, exalt,

This post sure wanders from the OP.

Science observes, tests and theorizes about the material world. Religion reports on the spirit world. Need to allow different standards for different worlds.

And, that’s as far down your path as I will go with you.

God loves you,
Don
Okay. Thanks for the answers. I wasn’t sure if this was within the purview of the discussion, but I saw folks talking about global warming and such and figured it wasn’t too off course by comparison. When I saw the article, I immediately thought of Catholic Answers and how the community here would look at it.

I will say, though, that I find your response interesting: For all statements about the world that don’t come from the Catholic Church, we need to be skeptical and accept where the evidence leads us. But if it comes from the Church? Well, then we shouldn’t apply our standards of evidence and skepticism.

That doesn’t strike me as reasonable.
 
I wonder about Quasars and Galaxies, in the context of this OP.

You see, I’ve been informed that if an object exceeded the speed of light, it would assume the mass of the universe.

We don’t know what Quasars are, except that they are accelerating as they recede from our universe, if I have that right, and they emit more energy than our universe.

I’ve come across the information that our galaxies are accelerating as they fly away from each other.

I can’t help but wonder, if there’s no slowing of the galaxies acceleration, when they leave our universe (and the effect of our universe’s laws), if the galaxies accelerate to a velocity faster than light and become quasars.

Just my wondering.

Back to the OP.
The thing is, if this effect can be reproduced by other physicist, it will impact Cosmology. If and only if neutrinos can go faster than light, that might change the calculations regarding the size and age of our universe.

God loves all of you and all of yours,
Don
 
So what does the Pope think about these neutrinos breaking god’s natural laws?
Is your claim that the speed of light is a natural law? Maybe it isn’t. They have been questioning whether local laws are the same everywhere for a while now.
 
Okay. Thanks for the answers. I wasn’t sure if this was within the purview of the discussion, but I saw folks talking about global warming and such and figured it wasn’t too off course by comparison. When I saw the article, I immediately thought of Catholic Answers and how the community here would look at it.

I will say, though, that I find your response interesting: For all statements about the world that don’t come from the Catholic Church, we need to be skeptical and accept where the evidence leads us. But if it comes from the Church? Well, then we shouldn’t apply our standards of evidence and skepticism.

That doesn’t strike me as reasonable.
The source is important. If God shares it with us it has to be the truth. Science is human’s reasoning observations.
 
The source is important. If God shares it with us it has to be the truth. Science is human’s reasoning observations.
Oh, and how do humans come to know what God shares if not through some sort of observation?
 
You see, I’ve been informed that if an object exceeded the speed of light, it would assume the mass of the universe.
Space can expand faster than the speed of light. This is what is happening to distant objects. The stretching of the universe between us and them makes them appear to be receding faster than the speed of light (if we define ourselves to be stationary.)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space

Some people have proposed that we might be able to travel faster than light if we invent a way to control the stretching of space.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top