Students rally around tux-wearing teen left out of yearbook

• Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for them.

From the article:
The senior portrait in question showed Urbina, 18, wearing a black tux, a black bow tie and a broad, dimpled smile. Her tuxedo went against an Archdiocese of San Francisco policy requiring female students to wear dresses in yearbook photos
, school officials said.

Why dresses? If she was wearing a skirt would it have made a difference? Once on picture day at school a friend asked incredulously why I wasn’t wearing a dress. I reminded her that no one was going to see what we were wearing from the chest down. What’s funny is I don’t think my school had a dress code and I probably could have gotten away with wearing a tux.

What a silly policy.

She looks cute in her tux.

I wore a tux to my sister’s wedding and since I was not a bridesmaid I thought it would be original, it was well before Princess Diana appeared wearing a tux, I even wore a red dickie bow and with my blonde hair I looked great.

The school has a policy. Its not that difficult to follow. If a student doesn’t like it then tough --dont be in the yearbook.

Very sad that many many other students took the side of the rebel girl. Just shows the moral permissiveness in our culture, sadly even amongst young Catholics.

Rules are rules…this was obviously an attempt to stand out…she and her girlfriend…please…this is what the world has come to…not so disturbing in and of itself…more disturbing is the moral apathy demonstrated by classmates…everything is permissable…lets just celebrate those who can’t abide by the rules…

I know when I was in high school, 20+ years ago, the photographer provided the “dress” choices for the girls. It was just a wrap around that resembled a dress really. We had our choice of dark colors (red, green, blue, etc). The boys had a faux tux to wear. Not sure what their options were or if it even closed in the back. For the personal pics, one we would buy, we could wear and change outfits. What would go in the year book, and also on the walls of the school were standard rule for everyone although we, girls, had choice of color.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. I am not sure why the photographer let her have the option of a boy outfit or, if what was taken was her own personal shot.
There comes a point where if you don’t like some of the rules in a private school, and it means a lot to you, then you need to weigh if that is the time to leave or stay.
I didn’t like that my shoulders were showing in my formal pic, but the photographer did fix it to where it wasn’t so far down on my arms that it bordered revealing.
Many things we are not going to like. But we need to respect, or learn to respect, the rules.
:twocents:

The school has a policy.
The student has a choice.

The student chose not to be in the yearbook.

The rule was clear.She broke it Bringing in her"girlfriend" and having the ACLU back you by Criticizing the Catholic the School of for enforcing “gender norms” does not help much,IMO

If this wasn’t a Catholic school, it wouldn’t be news. But of course…its a Catholic school.

I don’t remember having a dress code for my yearbook picture, but I am pretty sure we didn’t have any girls that wore tuxedos. I didn’t wear a dress - we didn’t have that kind of policy, but I think I did wear a nice shirt or blouse. Senior year was professional pictures so…

Rules are rules…this was obviously an attempt to stand out…she and her girlfriend…please…this is what the world has come to…not so disturbing in and of itself…more disturbing is the moral apathy demonstrated by classmates…everything is permissable…lets just celebrate those who can’t abide by the rules…
Yep, also because being bi sexual or gay is popular right now. that is the only reason other kids stand up for things like this, if it werent as popular, you would not see anyone speaking out about it.

If this wasn’t a Catholic school, it wouldn’t be news. But of course…its a Catholic school.

I don’t remember having a dress code for my yearbook picture, but I am pretty sure we didn’t have any girls that wore tuxedos. I didn’t wear a dress - we didn’t have that kind of policy, but I think I did wear a nice shirt or blouse. Senior year was professional pictures so…
If it wasn’t a Catholic school, it probably wouldn’t be an issue, because she probably would’ve been allowed to wear the tux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back