Students rally around tux-wearing teen left out of yearbook

• Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m saying a few things,
1, a woman wearing a tux is not “cross dressing”
2, the rule isn’t based on scripture, there’s no prohibition on wearing tuxes in the bible
3, the intent of the rule is unimportant… The result is that it harms a young lady who chooses to express herself by wearing a tux.
  1. Generally speaking, cross-dressing is based upon intent. I don’t claim she was cross-dressing. However, wearing a tux is neither necessarily cross-dressing nor necessarily not cross-dressing. Hosts of events (especially schools) often choose to develop bright line rules to avoid having to make judgment calls.
  2. This institution is owned by the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church doesn’t interpret the Scripture in the way which you are suggesting.
  3. How is she being harmed? It’s not suggested in any article that she suffers from gender dysphoria. She isn’t being treated any differently from any other student… none of them get a choice. And like her, I’m sure plenty of her classmates weren’t too keen on the prescribed dress.
I am glad though, that you are taking back the comment that there’s hatred involved. 🙂

This woman was publicly affirming her homosexuality. She wore the same Tux to the prom where she took her **girlfriend. **If you the news article and the School statement you will see that her open homosexuality was the cause of this problem-nor merely wearing the Tux. the School was walking a fine line between showing love and compassion for a student and affirming her sin. I think in the the School, the Girl her parents came to an agreement that was good for all involved.
She could have also worn the tux to a political dinner, but that wouldn’t mean we should get the FEC involved in this school’s decision. Where else she wore the tux is completely irrelevant to this story.

Wearing a tux is no more an expression of one’s homosexuality than wearing a dress is an expression of one’s heterosexuality. Believe me, I’ve met plenty of femmes. The entire issue here is the tux, period. This is not an issue of sexuality or any other hodge podge random issue. The fact that she’s gay is irrelevant to the story.

However, I do agree with two people at the same time:

First, I agree with vz71. There is nothing unjust about the school rules, so they should either be followed, either by compliance or abstention, or petitioned for change or exemption.

Secondly, I share the same sentiments with DaddyGirl in response to people asking why she couldn’t just wear a dress. As I have previously stated, there are many girls (including myself) who HATE dresses. I love skirts personally (though I know women who hate both), but I hate dresses. I am glad that, with all my siblings married and being the youngest sibling, the only occasions in my entire life I will ever have to wear a dress again are my wedding day [if I do decide to get married] and my best friends’ wedding days. Wearing a dress is awful. Dresses feel like designer garbage bags to me, like wearing a loose bodysuit. I’d much rather wear jeans and T-shirts to EVERYTHING, though obviously that isn’t possible. I’m very, very chapstick. Feminine women should be more sensitive to the concerns of women who hate wearing dresses. Imagine if you were forced to leave the house every day with messed-up hair, smeared makeup, and torn clothes. You’d have no self-confidence throughout the day. That’s how many girls feel with dresses.

So no, it does not cause harm in and of itself as a rule, and it is certainly not an immoral rule. However, there should be an exemption for women who are not comfortable wearing dresses.

This woman was publicly affirming her homosexuality. She wore the same Tux to the prom where she took her **girlfriend. **If you the news article and the School statement you will see that her open homosexuality was the cause of this problem-nor merely wearing the Tux. the School was walking a fine line between showing love and compassion for a student and affirming her sin. I think in the the School, the Girl her parents came to an agreement that was good for all involved.
I haven’t been able to find a single source that said she took her girlfriend to the prom or wearing the same tux. I doubt it could be the same tux as one source said the shirt and off-the-shoulder drapes were provided for the students at the time the pictures were taken and Jessica opted for the shirt and tie.

Also, if the photo Havard attached is what the girls had to wear I don’t blame her for opting for the shirt and tie. The shoulders are showing; shouldn’t a Catholic school be promoting modesty. :eek:
/sarc

She could have also worn the tux to a political dinner, but that wouldn’t mean we should get the FEC involved in this school’s decision. Where else she wore the tux is completely irrelevant to this story.

Wearing a tux is no more an expression of one’s homosexuality than wearing a dress is an expression of one’s heterosexuality. Believe me, I’ve met plenty of femmes. The entire issue here is the tux, period. This is not an issue of sexuality or any other hodge podge random issue. The fact that she’s gay is irrelevant to the story.

However, I do agree with two people at the same time:

First, I agree with vz71. There is nothing unjust about the school rules, so they should either be followed, either by compliance or abstention, or petitioned for change or exemption.

Secondly, I share the same sentiments with DaddyGirl in response to people asking why she couldn’t just wear a dress. As I have previously stated, there are many girls (including myself) who HATE dresses. I love skirts personally (though I know women who hate both), but I hate dresses. I am glad that, with all my siblings married and being the youngest sibling, the only occasions in my entire life I will ever have to wear a dress again are my wedding day [if I do decide to get married] and my best friends’ wedding days. Wearing a dress is awful. Dresses feel like designer garbage bags to me, like wearing a loose bodysuit. I’d much rather wear jeans and T-shirts to EVERYTHING, though obviously that isn’t possible. I’m very, very chapstick. Feminine women should be more sensitive to the concerns of women who hate wearing dresses. Imagine if you were forced to leave the house every day with messed-up hair, smeared makeup, and torn clothes. You’d have no self-confidence throughout the day. That’s how many girls feel with dresses.

So no, it does not cause harm in and of itself as a rule, and it is certainly not an immoral rule. However, there should be an exemption for women who are not comfortable wearing dresses.
All one has to do is read the article and the Schools statement tto see hat the core of this dispute was her open homosexuality. Her girlfriend references it it, her brother references it , the school comments on it., the ACLU got involved because of it. I wont know why people want to dent what those involved don’t.

I haven’t been able to find a single source that said she took her girlfriend to the prom or wearing the same tux. I doubt it could be the same tux as one source said the shirt and off-the-shoulder drapes were provided for the students at the time the pictures were taken and Jessica opted for the shirt and tie.

Also, if the photo Havard attached is what the girls had to wear I don’t blame her for opting for the shirt and tie. The shoulders are showing; shouldn’t a Catholic school be promoting modesty. :eek:
/sarc
Lol.

I would laugh my derriere off if I ever heard a guy say “Dude, check out the shoulders on her!” Even at a crossfit competition. 😛

CROSS DRESSING??!!

So…are the females in this school allowed to wear pants and “cross dress” on other days during the year, just not for the school yearbook photo?

Do you consider every woman who wears pants as “cross-dressing”?

Sister Helen Prejean, 75, a very famous and well-respected Roman Catholic nun who has been the Religious Education Director at St. Frances Cabrini Parish in New Orleans and has been given many awards for her work, including the Catholic “World Pacem in Terris Peace and Freedom Award” and the “Pax Christi USA Pope Paul VI Teacher of Peace Award”…has worn pantsuits the majority of her adult life.

Would you consider her a major cross-dresser?

View attachment 20001

View attachment 20002
Women wearing pants is not cross dressing. However, in my own personal opinion, a woman wearing a tuxedo is either cross dressing or uncomfortably close to it.

Women wearing pants is not cross dressing. However, in my own personal opinion, a woman wearing a tuxedo is either cross dressing or uncomfortably close to it.
I understand your concern Holly, but as a woman who’s worn nice vests/vestments to things, I don’t really see the difference between that and a tuxedo. Maybe women’s vests are built better for the female body than designer tuxedos? But I’ve definitely seen women in tuxedos at gallery events, weddings, all sorts of places. Again, they’re badly outnumbered by dresses, but it happens.

A child should be able to wear whatever she chooses let it be a tux, polo shirt, pants, or any other garment that makes her feel comfortable.

The rule was clear.

The baker broke it.

That, apparently, was ‘different’.

What is ambiguous here? 🤷
She was not threatened with imprisonment if she decided to not partake in complying with the dress code. The bakers were. Your comparison is flawed,

If it wasn’t a Catholic school, it probably wouldn’t be an issue, because she probably would’ve been allowed to wear the tux.
If it was a public school, all the other females would have been banned from wearing dresses, in case it made her feel “excluded”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back