Students rally around tux-wearing teen left out of yearbook

• Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently nobody believes in following dress codes any more. Everything has to be a cause.

Both the school and the baker were declining to affirm sinful behavior.
They were declining to affirm what they believed to be sinful behavior… but the student in question was also declining to obey a rule that she felt was based on unacceptable animus… Dr Taffy is pointing out that if you are going to use that argument to defend the baker’s disobedience of a rule by saying in essence that it’s justified because the baker has strong views against the rule… then you cannot use the argument “rules are rules” to condemn the tux-sporting student in the school because she then is entitled to the same defense.

He was also pointing out the irony that the “rules are rules” argument is often used by the anti-gay side when it suits them, but that they feel free to break the rules when doing so is in line with their thinking. In short, you can’t have it both ways.

Personally, I think the school is within its rights to deny her the photo because that’s their rule… But I also believe that that rule is abhorrent, outdated and based on hatred of those who don’t fit the ideal gender norm. It also gives the majority of the public a bad opinion of the Catholic school system.

Apparently nobody believes in following dress codes any more. Everything has to be a cause.
When the students/parents/public view the dress code to be discriminatory, they have a right to protest it.

If a public school imposed a rule against religious apparel being worn as part of their dress code (which I would be against), then I’m sure your “nobody believes in following dress codes” argument would not be showing up here.

Would there be the same indignance if someone was excluded from the yearbook for wearing a swimsuit or even a nuns habit to express themselves? Not likely. People still value dress codes. This just happened to be an expression of homosexuality and the Catholic teaching on homosexuality must be discredited by any means possible.

When my daughter was in Senior, one of their religion projects was to design a brochure that gave the Catholic teaching on a social issue. My daughter chose IVF but there was abortion, euthanasia, refugees etc. They were forbidden to do homosexuality or gay marriage. That would have got the school firebombed!

When the students/parents/public view the dress code to be discriminatory, they have a right to protest it.

If a public school imposed a rule against religious apparel being worn as part of their dress code (which I would be against), then I’m sure your “nobody believes in following dress codes” argument would not be showing up here.
That’s because he is a practicing Catholic, who supports the tenets of the Church. In case you have forgotten, this is a Catholic website, and God expects the Catholics here to post and act like they are Catholic. Hence, he is correct.

The girl in the picture looks like a boy. She is not a boy. Why does she want to try to confuse people into thinking she’s a boy? The father of lies is guiding her in this.

People who dress up to try to look like the opposite sex generally end up looking kinda ugly, or at least off-putting.

My personal opinion is that public schools as well as private schools would do well to have school uniforms. That solves a lot of problems. And no, if everyone is wearing the school uniform, I wouldn’t expect to see a variety of religious garb or any other personal preference types of clothing. And if there is a dress code for yearbook photos, it ought to be followed.

But I also believe that that rule is abhorrent, outdated and based on hatred of those who don’t fit the ideal gender norm.
The prohibition on cross dressing is is a typical Catholic stance, based on our interpretation of Scripture.

So are you saying that the Catholic stance is generally just based on hatred, or are you saying something specifically about the administrators at Sacred Heart Cathedral that supports that they based this rule on hatred? If so, what is it you know about them that supports this?

Both the school and the baker were declining to affirm sinful behavior.
No, the school was refusing to print a picture of a perfectly decently dressed girl, the baker was refusing to bake a cake. 🤷

Including Christians who refuse to follow a dress code that precludes wearing a crucifix?

There seems to be a double standard here. Others just have to ‘follow the rules’, Christians howl that their freedom of religion and/or speech is being infringed. Then they bully a religion of which they disapprove into not being able to practice that religion. :rolleyes:

But of course, if “the rule was clear” but it was a Christian baker who broke it, that is different!😛
No one is required to follow unjust rules. Just saying.

Would you bake a cake for a “death to gays” group?

The prohibition on cross dressing is is a typical Catholic stance, based on our interpretation of Scripture.

So are you saying that the Catholic stance is generally just based on hatred, or are you saying something specifically about the administrators at Sacred Heart Cathedral that supports that they based this rule on hatred? If so, what is it you know about them that supports this?
Havard, while I agree that crossdressing is a sin, I don’t think tuxes are crossdressing. I’ve seen quite a few women, especially children and teenage women, go to weddings and/or other nice events in tuxedos. Dresses massively outweigh them, yes, but I think enough women wear tuxes, ties, etc. that it no longer can be considered “crossdressing.” I don’t think it has the same societal impact as, say, seeing a man in a frilly dress would. In fact, I’d be hard-pressed to find a single article of clothing that could be considered crossdressing for women anymore, since women’s clothing choices span such a large degree of choices.

Havard, while I agree that crossdressing is a sin, I don’t think tuxes are crossdressing. I’ve seen quite a few women, especially children and teenage women, go to weddings and/or other nice events in tuxedos. Dresses massively outweigh them, yes, but I think enough women wear tuxes, ties, etc. that it no longer can be considered “crossdressing.” I don’t think it has the same societal impact as, say, seeing a man in a frilly dress would. In fact, I’d be hard-pressed to find a single article of clothing that could be considered crossdressing for women anymore, since women’s clothing choices span such a large degree of choices.
Yes there are gray areas. Ralph Lauren has many feminine tuxedo styles.

I think this looks very cute:

pinterest.com/pin/550354016935429332/

But that advanced level of fashion is rare for a teen to be embracing, and schools adopt bright line rules so they don’t have to make judgment calls about this kind of thing.

Including Christians who refuse to follow a dress code that precludes wearing a crucifix?
Yes, if the dress code prohibits the wearing of jewelry, don’t wear jewelry, religious or secular. What’s so hard about following a dress code?

If you ask me, this student was cross dressing and she should not have been doing that. The school has a dress code which must be respected and if the student can’t respect the dress code then the school has every right to forbid her picture from being in the year book.

It seems to me like this girl was just trying to cause trouble.

My personal opinion is that public schools as well as private schools would do well to have school uniforms. That solves a lot of problems. And no, if everyone is wearing the school uniform, I wouldn’t expect to see a variety of religious garb or any other personal preference types of clothing. And if there is a dress code for yearbook photos, it ought to be followed.
👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back