Televangelist tells worshippers to keep giving to the church, even if they have lost their jobs during this time

• Thread starter Thread starter Polak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not what I said and a careful reading of my post will tell you that.

My bishop ask all of us to continue our contributions to the parish. We haven’t started our annual campaign yet so it seems it may be on hold until this is all over. But does your bishop or pastor know your income or anyone else’s income so he can be sure you are giving you full 10%?

Last edited:
Cannot stand this prosperity gospel stuff. Another option which they fail to mention is just give directly to charity - funny that isn’t it? Grrr. Must think charitable thoughts and prayers for them

Grrr… charlatans like him give me the creeps, like that guy who asked his followers to raise enough to buy a private jet. The characters in The Righteous Gemstones on Sky Comedy are an unnervingly good portrayal of these types of “religious” leaders.

i know the guy you’re talking about. he usually airs about 3:00am. lol

Kenneth Copeland doesn’t believe in God…he believes in mammon. And mammon has been very good to Ken.

40.png
JonNC:
Nor should “Protestant “ churches.
Specifically regarding televangelists, my Lutheran pastor dad used to say don’t give to a televangelist because he isn’t the one who will visit a sick family member, bring you the sacrament if you can’t make it to church.
Agreed, Jon, I didn’t mean to leave the impression that the average mainline or non-megachurch Protestant pastor or minister pushes for these type donations either, especially from people in financial straits.
I didn’t get the impression you did. My intention was to back you up.
I think it’s good, though, that you clarified.
Thanks.

For years when I was younger I was stuck through fear in a church that preached exactly the same thing. No matter the hardship, giving to the church was always to be the first priority.

I don’t think that’s for any of us to judge. We can criticize his practice and theology, but not his faith.
I agree that a Christian can not judge but, I’m not Christian. From my point of view when someone’s philosophy and stated beliefs go against what he actually does, the priorities he shows, my judgment, for what little it’s worth, is that he really doesn’t place a priority on God, doesn’t behave as God asks and doesn’t show the love he’s supposed to show…it’s evidence of his true beliefs. Those that talk the talk should also walk the walk. He could change my mind but hasn’t yet. To me, he shows a great love of money and gives lip service to God. YMMV.

With tough times ahead and many of his ‘parishioners’ likely to be struggling financially, some perhaps out of a job, I wonder if rather than asking for them to keep donating to him, this might be an opportunity for goold old Kenneth to give something back and help some of them out financially? They are largely responsible for his great well. They’ve been very generous to him. Perhaps it is time for him to return their generosity?

Fat chance.

I agree that a Christian can not judge but, I’m not Christian.

He could change my mind but hasn’t yet.
Why should he try. You seem to want to hold him to a standard (Christian) that you don’t apply to yourself.

Don’t get me wrong. I find prosperity theology opposed to the Gospel, but that is theology, not a criticism of his faith.

Sure, aimed at those of us who have income. Many people are working, being paid. For those who can, helping their parish is important. We have more work than usual right now and need to keep the lights on.

To be fair, my parish and my bishop have asked Catholics to continue giving online even if we don’t attend Mass.

That being said, a Protestant televangelist asking for money isn’t anything new. After all, they too have to upkeep their private jets. 🙂

This the same guy who dipped his hands in some liquid and was “curing” everyone of the coronavirus that was watching?

I agree with @JonNC we shouldn’t judge his faith, but I find his way of preaching despicable.

This the same guy who dipped his hands in some liquid and was “curing” everyone of the coronavirus that was watching?

I agree with @JonNC we shouldn’t judge his faith, but I find his way of preaching despicable.
The theology opposes the Gospel.

Supporting ones parish is a responsibility of the parishioners.
Televangelism isn’t the same thing.

Even Dave Ramsey the Christian financial guy has stopped telling people that they must tithe as they are trying to get out of debt. People need to make sure their own families are taken care of before the church get’s anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back