The 'Jesus Never Mentioned Homosexuality' Argument

• Thread starter Thread starter Dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of us of faith accept fully that the entire cannon of scripture is inspired of God, however those looking for reasons to attack Christians over their views of homosexuality always cite this arguement:

How do you answer this question to people that ‘discount’ the validaty of anything written outside of the Gospels?
Homosexuality was not an accepted practice in the Jewish society which Christ spoke in. Jewish people knew Old Testament Law on homosexuality. The problems for the Jewish society were more like OVER-adherence to Old Testament Law, so that’s what Christ spoke of. Jewish society didn’t need to be told the evils of homosexuality.

In the societies that Paul wrote his letters to, homosexuality was much more accepted and prevalent. That’s why Paul addresses it and Christ doesn’t.

Homosexuality was not an accepted practice in the Jewish society which Christ spoke in. Jewish people knew Old Testament Law on homosexuality. The problems for the Jewish society were more like OVER-adherence to Old Testament Law, so that’s what Christ spoke of. Jewish society didn’t need to be told the evils of homosexuality.

In the societies that Paul wrote his letters to, homosexuality was much more accepted and prevalent. That’s why Paul addresses it and Christ doesn’t.
This is correct.

In any case, St John did and said more than could be recorded, so He could have spoke against it.

I have a question… Do some Catholic diocese/parishes condone homosexuality? The only reason that I ask is because I stumbled upon a parish in Chicago a while back that had its own mass for gays and lesbians. I just wanted to know if this was an “fake” catholic (old catholic), or a Roman Catholic church. I believe the name was Our Lady of Mount Carmel? I cnt rememebr though cause its been a while since ive been to Chi-town. Its one thing if you are trying to help those people but if they are condoning it, that could be a real issue.

He could have spoke against it.
This could certainly be called an argument from silence.

It could be called an argument from silence, if Jesus hadn’t specifically mentioned two same-sex couples immediately following his fairly detailed discussion of Lot and the destruction of Sodom with fire and brimstone. (Luke 17:28-35).

The discussion of Sodom would have been the perfect place for Jesus to warn against homosexuality, if that had been his attitude.

But Jesus is not silent on homosexuality in this passage. Since there was no Greek word for homosexuality, he concretely refers to two non-celibate gay and lesbian couples, and says that some are active gays and lesbians are acceptable to God.

This could certainly be called an argument from silence.

It could be called an argument from silence, if Jesus hadn’t specifically mentioned two same-sex couples immediately following his fairly detailed discussion of Lot and the destruction of Sodom with fire and brimstone. (Luke 17:28-35).

The discussion of Sodom would have been the perfect place for Jesus to warn against homosexuality, if that had been his attitude.

But Jesus is not silent on homosexuality in this passage. Since there was no Greek word for homosexuality, he concretely refers to two non-celibate gay and lesbian couples, and says that some are active gays and lesbians are acceptable to God.
Again, Jesus could have spoke out against it heavily and it was not recorded.

What is important is the tradition did not change.

Where is our true focus? Soften your hardened hearts. Live your own life according to Gods Will for you. God is the only Judge.

Look at yourself. You who have not sinned, may throw the first stone.

Above all else, Love one another as I have Loved you!

ABOVE ALL ELSE, LOVE ONE ANOTHER AS I HAVE LOVED YOU!

Where is our true focus? Soften your hardened hearts. Live your own life according to Gods Will for you. God is the only Judge.

Look at yourself. You who have not sinned, may throw the first stone.

Above all else, Love one another as I have Loved you!

ABOVE ALL ELSE, LOVE ONE ANOTHER AS I HAVE LOVED YOU!
Oh good… because Jesus’ love is rather harsh. He loves but He required that people give up their sinful lives. He loved but He was quick to reprimand and correct. He loved but He spoke truth always.

How to get cured/healed of being addicted to same sex . . . through prayer, also. . . . also healed of things like alcoholism, drug addiction, etc.
Flying - Do you really believe that homosexuality is a curable addiction, a choice?

Look into your own heart. If its a choice, do you have the ability to choose to be with someone of the same sex? Try it. If you did, would that feel natural to you? Or would you feel like you were living a lie? Would you be disgusted by the experience?

Same goes for homosexuals. Being attracted to the same sex is what is normal for them. Choosing to pretend to be in a heterosexual relationship feels like they are living a lie, fake, unnatural. To the point where some people even commit suicide for how much their hearts are torn.

Homosexuals are Gods children just as Heterosexuals. We are all made in Gods image. They live in long term, committed, monogamous relationships with their true love. The sex is not the focus. The relationship is the focus. God is the focus.

Some relationships work and some don’t, some people are committed and some people are not. Its the same rather you are Homosexual or Heterosexual.

Too many gays look poorly on the Church and the people in the church because of some preacher preaching hatred from the pulpit.

Too many of our children are becoming bullies because of the bigotry they are being taught. Too many of our children are being bullied. Too many of our children are feel so scared and so hurt because of what they feel in their hearts. And every day they have to face that bigotry. Too many of our children take their own lives because they don’t see a way out. ITS NOT A CHOICE!

FYI… I was raised Protestant and converted to Catholicism in my 20’s. I’ve read the Bible. I’ve sat in many different Christian denominational services and I’ve heard hatred as well as Love being preached first hand. And I’m also Gay and have been in a loving, committed, healthy marriage (I live in MA) for the past 10 years.

It is unfortunate that usually only the most extreme people are the ones who are heard, on both sides.

I agree with coolcola, “Above all else, love one another as I have loved you”.

I pray that all of you who hold such hatred in your hearts for homosexuals will one day soften your hearts. I pray for love, I pray for forgiveness, I pray for peace all in the name of Christ.

Oh good… because Jesus’ love is rather harsh. He loves but He required that people give up their sinful lives. He loved but He was quick to reprimand and correct. He loved but He spoke truth always.
I have to correct you. Jesus loves AND always spoke the truth. These are one in the same. His love is the ultimate love. And He continues to speak to all of us, every day. He speaks to us through His love, through judgement, through forgiveness.

We all need to look at ourselves and into our own hearts and ask the question, Am I living my life according to Gods Will for me.

Peace be with you

I have to correct you. Jesus loves AND always spoke the truth. These are one in the same. His love is the ultimate love. And He continues to speak to all of us, every day. He speaks to us through His love, through judgement, through forgiveness.

We all need to look at ourselves and into our own hearts and ask the question, Am I living my life according to Gods Will for me.

Peace be with you
We agree. 🙂 God demands much of those He loves.

Those of us of faith accept fully that the entire cannon of scripture is inspired of God, however those looking for reasons to attack Christians over their views of homosexuality always cite this arguement:

How do you answer this question to people that ‘discount’ the validaty of anything written outside of the Gospels?
I’ll put another possibility out to you on this thread. In Genesis 19 we see the struggle of Lot to resist the Sodomites end with his rescue by the two angels, one of them tells him to take his family and anyone he has in the city out of the place because “the Lord has ordered us to destroy it”. Jesus is the Lord.

Luke 10:12 “I tell you, on the judgment day it will be worse for the people of that town than for the people of Sodom.”

Jesus didn’t change the Mosaic laws concerning homosexual sex.

Which are:

jewfaq.org/613.htm#Sex
Forbidden Sexual Relations
82.Not to indulge in familiarities with relatives, such as kissing, embracing, winking, skipping, which may lead to incest (Lev. 18:6) (CCN110).
83.Not to commit incest with one’s mother (Lev. 18:7) (CCN112). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
**84.**Not to commit sodomy with one’s father (Lev. 18:7) (CCN111).
85.Not to commit incest with one’s father’s wife (Lev. 18:8) (CCN113). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
86.Not to commit incest with one’s sister (Lev. 18:9) (CCN127). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
87.Not to commit incest with one’s father’s wife’s daughter (Lev. 18:11) (CCN128). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
88.Not to commit incest with one’s son’s daughter (Lev. 18:10) (CCN119) (Note: CC treats this and the next as one commandment; however, Rambam treats them as two). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
89.Not to commit incest with one’s daughter’s daughter (Lev. 18:10) (CCN119) (Note: CC treats this and the previous as one commandment; however, Rambam treats them as two). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
90.Not to commit incest with one’s daughter (this is not explicitly in the Torah but is inferred from other explicit commands that would include it) (CCN120). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
91.Not to commit incest with one’s fathers sister (Lev. 18:12) (CCN129). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
92.Not to commit incest with one’s mother’s sister (Lev. 18:13) (CCN130). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
93.Not to commit incest with one’s father’s brothers wife (Lev. 18:14) (CCN125). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
**94.**Not to commit sodomy with one’s father’s brother (Lev. 18:14) (CCN114).
95.Not to commit incest with one’s son’s wife (Lev. 18:15) (CCN115). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
96.Not to commit incest with one’s brother’s wife (Lev. 18:16) (CCN126). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
97.Not to commit incest with one’s wife’s daughter (Lev. 18:17) (CCN121). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
98.Not to commit incest with the daughter of one’s wife’s son (Lev. 18:17) (CCN122). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
99.Not to commit incest with the daughter of one’s wife’s daughter (Lev. 18:17) (CCN123). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
100.Not to commit incest with one’s wife’s sister (Lev. 18:18) (CCN131). See Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children.
101.Not to have intercourse with a woman, in her menstrual period (Lev. 18:19) (CCN132).
102.Not to have intercourse with another man’s wife (Lev. 18:20) (CCN124).
**103.**Not to commit sodomy with a male (Lev. 18:22) (CCN116).
104.Not to have intercourse with a beast (Lev. 18:23) (CCN117).
105.That a woman shall not have intercourse with a beast (Lev. 18:23) (CCN118).
106.Not to castrate the male of any species; neither a man, nor a domestic or wild beast, nor a fowl (Lev. 22:24) (CCN143).

Homosexuals are Gods children just as Heterosexuals. We are all made in Gods image. They live in long term, committed, monogamous relationships with their true love. The sex is not the focus. The relationship is the focus. God is the focus.

**Sex is the focus for God, if you are participating in it with your partner. **

FYI… I was raised Protestant and converted to Catholicism in my 20’s. I’ve read the Bible. I’ve sat in many different Christian denominational services and I’ve heard hatred as well as Love being preached first hand. And I’m also Gay and have been in a loving, committed, healthy marriage (I live in MA) for the past 10 years.

I pray that all of you who hold such hatred in your hearts for homosexuals will one day soften your hearts. I pray for love, I pray for forgiveness, I pray for peace all in the name of Christ.
We have no hatred for same sex attracted people.

As many of us are called to do, you also are called to chastity in your relationship with other men.

There is a dividing line. You should not be calling yourself homosexual unless you have accepted the homosexual lifestyle and are unchaste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back