T
Todd_Easton
Guest
What do you have in mind?Is there anyone here who is taught by Jesus?
Is there anyone here who gets their Answers from Jesus?
Are you asking if I have had any special, private revelations of Jesus Christ, like St. Paul on the road to Damascus or like St. Stephen when he was being stoned to death? No, I haven’t had any of those yet, though there have been quite a few Catholic saints who have had such experiences.
For my part, Jesus teaches me in other ways, especially through his Catholic Church. I have heard the teachings of Jesus Christ in the Gospels read and commented upon (homily) at every Catholic Mass and I have also read his teachings for myself many times at home in my Catholic Bible so that I have a pretty good idea what Jesus’ teachings are for many circumstances. For those circumstances not dealt with explicitly in the Gospels or in the other New Testament books, I have recourse to what his “pastors and teachers,” the bishops of the Catholic Church, have taught over the past 2000 years and recently summarized in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. (Ephesians 4:11) I am especially glad to observe the bishops’ conciliar decisions as they are also the decisions of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 15:28)
As a baptized Christian, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, also dwells within me and guides me. Unfortunately, like many individual Christians (see Acts 15), I often find it difficult to discern his holy promptings from my own human thoughts and desires and from the deceptions of the Devil. Therefore, I am glad to obey and submit to my leaders in the Catholic Church, who keep watch over my soul and over the whole flock the Holy Spirit has given them to guard as men who must render an account. (Acts 20:28 and Hebrews 13:17)