Thomas Jefferson Statue Torn Down at Portland High School

  • Thread starter Thread starter gam197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I presented part of his argument and rationale for why he condemned the likes of people who in their moral arrogance want statues to be removed. That you don’t agree with this argument/criticism or rather you don’t find it compelling is not in itself an explanation.

You can disagree and disregard, but then don’t grill me when I offered both the author’s rationale and the article in question for you to read.

As I said I doubt you even read the article I linked.
 
Gee, I would have thought your being here in the forum and engaging in this dialogue would have been reason enough to read it … or ignore the post - article and poster - altogether and move on …
 
I’m just going to say I’m not sure I can envision a scenario where she could say “no.” So it wasn’t a relationship of equals.
 
Yep, there was an understanding that raping your underaged slave wasn’t that big of a deal back in those days in the South.
Indeed. If slaves were property, why would raping them be a problem? You could split their belly out in the streets because you were in a bad mood and it would be well within your “rights.” That’s how it is with property. I could dash my phone against the wall or do something perverse with it; it’s my property and nobody can say anything about it if it’s the only thing I’m destroying. I agree with you that owning a slave and having sex with them is rape. Property cannot say “No.”
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top