T
Tsuwano
Guest
I’m sorry . . . what makes people uncomfortable? Reflecting on the death penalty or not reflecting on the death penalty?Of course, it makes people uncomfortable.
I’m sorry . . . what makes people uncomfortable? Reflecting on the death penalty or not reflecting on the death penalty?Of course, it makes people uncomfortable.
Discussing it, of course.I’m sorry . . . what makes people uncomfortable? Reflecting on the death penalty or not reflecting on the death penalty?
And the case is made for why we cannot ban the death sentence altogether.Curious headline.
nypost.com/p/news/local/jail_pen_attack_qIwDsitQ7sELD2esrAtQCP
Then read the story … the guy is in for second degree murder and now for attempted murder.
[Some people are just plain dangerous.]
Is this guy dangerous? Yeah, of course he is! Should he be locked away and kept in solitary? Sounds like it. But should he be annihilated? Exterminated? Wiped off the the face of the Earth? Executed? Sorry, I still have my doubts about that. It’s that darned humanity thing! I can’t get around it.Curious headline.
nypost.com/p/news/local/jail_pen_attack_qIwDsitQ7sELD2esrAtQCP
Then read the story … the guy is in for second degree murder and now for attempted murder.
[Some people are just plain dangerous.]
It would be great if we COULD lock someone up and throw away the key. BUT, the courts do not allow that option.Is this guy dangerous? Yeah, of course he is! Should he be locked away and kept in solitary? Sounds like it. But should he be annihilated? Exterminated? Wiped off the the face of the Earth? Executed? Sorry, I still have my doubts about that. It’s that darned humanity thing! I can’t get around it.
It wouldn’t be great at all. It would be inhumane and most certainly contrary to the life and message of Jesus Christ.It would be great if we COULD lock someone up and throw away the key. BUT, the courts do not allow that option.
So, I guess you are stuck with dealing with psychopaths in the SuperMax who persist in killing innocent people from prison.It wouldn’t be great at all. It would be inhumane and most certainly contrary to the life and message of Jesus Christ.
But, but, we totally have the means to render them incapable of doing further harm!So, I guess you are stuck with dealing with psychopaths in the SuperMax who persist in killing innocent people from prison.
As a follower of Christ, I suppose I am stuck with that to some degree, but I am also assured that Christ is with his people and that his love is stronger than hate or fear or the desire to exterminate.So, I guess you are stuck with dealing with psychopaths in the SuperMax who persist in killing innocent people from prison.
Yeah, because nobody has ever lost their faith because of crimes committed against them.As a follower of Christ, I suppose I am stuck with that to some degree, but I am also assured that Christ is with his people and that his love is stronger than hate or fear or the desire to exterminate.
I’m not imposing a policy on anyone. And I never said anything about living “totally nonviolently.” Those are your words, not mine. I do believe however, that the message of Christ does impose a certain behavior upon those who call themselves followers of Christ. It’s not my message. It’s the Lords. Take it up in prayer, but spare me the false indignancy.Yeah, because nobody has ever lost their faith because of crimes committed against them.
You want to live totally nonviolently, fine, you go right ahead, but you have no right to impose that policy on others, since they have an inalienable right to defend themselves.
I’m not imposing a policy on anyone. And I never said anything about living “totally nonviolently.” Those are your words, not mine. I do believe however, that the message of Christ does impose a certain behavior upon those who call themselves followers of Christ. It’s not my message. It’s the Lords. Take it up in prayer, but spare me the false indignancy.
You should be careful about what you consider the Lord’s message to be; it’s not what you think it is.I do believe however, that the message of Christ does impose a certain behavior upon those who call themselves followers of Christ. It’s not my message. It’s the Lords.
- Indignation.
- The second you advocate a policy for adoption by the state, you are attempting to impose it upon the community at large. It is useless to pretend otherwise.
- Spare me the wholly unwarranted self-righteousness, and you’ve got yourself a deal.
I have not told you what my perception of divine law is, so how do you know it is inaccurate? All I said is that I believe the message and ministry of Jesus compels those who claim to be his followers to behave in certain ways towards their fellow human beings. I believe even Thomas Aquinas would agree with that. The Church, through the catechism , teaches that it is only under very rare circumstances that the death penalty can be imposed on a human being morally, and that such circumstances are almost non existent in modern societies with sophisticated justice and penal systems. Is the death penalty, as imposed by human beings, fixed according to divine law as St. Thomas seems to say? I believe the question is highly debatable, but even so, it doesn’t follow that human beings absolutely must impose such punishment on “sinners.” There is room for mercy and lesser forms of punishment in law.You should be careful about what you consider the Lord’s message to be; it’s not what you think it is.
In his Summa Theologica, Aquinas wrote about vengeance and analyzed this specific question: *Whether vengeance should be wrought by means of punishments customary among men? *(II-II, 108,3) The objections he theorized were:
*(obj 1) … Therefore sinners should not be put to death.
(obj 3) … Therefore it seems that the punishment of death should not be inflicted for a sin.
This is his rebuttal to those objections:
On the contrary, **These punishments are fixed by the divine law ***as appears from what we have said above …
As I said, your perception of the divine law is inaccurate.
Ender
Yes there is, just not as much room as you appear to believe.There is room for mercy and lesser forms of punishment in law.
In addition Aquinas is a Doctor of the Faith yes, but his thoughts are not doctrine.I have not told you what my perception of divine law is, so how do you know it is inaccurate? All I said is that I believe the message and ministry of Jesus compels those who claim to be his followers to behave in certain ways towards their fellow human beings. I believe even Thomas Aquinas would agree with that. The Church, through the catechism , teaches that it is only under very rare circumstances that the death penalty can be imposed on a human being morally, and that such circumstances are almost non existent in modern societies with sophisticated justice and penal systems. Is the death penalty, as imposed by human beings, fixed according to divine law as St. Thomas seems to say? I believe the question is highly debatable, but even so, it doesn’t follow that human beings absolutely must impose such punishment on “sinners.” There is room for mercy and lesser forms of punishment in law.
Either the doctrine on capital punishment changed after nearly 2000 years of constant teaching or 2267 is not doctrine.In addition Aquinas is a Doctor of the Faith yes, but his thoughts are not doctrine.
THe Catechism is.
Ender, I have seen you post many times, that #2267 contains an opinion. I have not stepped in to defend you in the past because you do an excellent job of defending yourself. Frankly, when you say that #2267 contains an opionion, you are so obviously correct I do not understand why you get so much grief for saying it.Either the doctrine on capital punishment changed after nearly 2000 years of constant teaching or 2267 is not doctrine.
None of the five previous catechisms (including the 1992 version of the current catechism) agree with 2267. No statement (that I have seen) from any pope prior to 1995 agrees with 2267. I believe there are no statements to be found in any ecumenical council that support it. Cardinal Ratzinger has stated that there may be a legitimate diversity of opinion on the application of capital punishment, the USCCB said they “offer neither judgment nor condemnation” to those who disagree, and Cardinal Dulles said flat out that it represents “prudential opinion.”
I’m going with the belief that 2267 is not doctrine.
Ender