Troy Davis makes final appeal before execution

  • Thread starter Thread starter _Abyssinia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be pro death penalty . Being a pro life activist praying outside the clinic I was posed a question :" How can you people be pro life in this way if you are not in putting people to death by death penalty ? I though to myself this is a good question . How can I be pro life and anti abortion if I support the death penalty ? I changed my view and am against the death penalty. PRO LIFE ALL THE WAY .** I believe that many of us are hippocrites if they support the death penalty but at the same time hold anti abortion signs** .
Purty harsh words there Defender1, especially because the unborn are innocent and those on death row aren’t. Those on death row have been tried and convicted, and it’s not like the criminal didn’t know the consequences of his actions. I’m glad you have resolved this issue in yourself, but I think it a bit presumptuous to label others as hypocrites who have not. While I agree life is life, for me, the jury is still out on capital punishment (no pun intended).
 
I used to be pro death penalty . Being a pro life activist praying outside the clinic I was posed a question :" How can you people be pro life in this way if you are not in putting people to death by death penalty ? I though to myself this is a good question . How can I be pro life and anti abortion if I support the death penalty ? I changed my view and am against the death penalty. PRO LIFE ALL THE WAY . I believe that many of us are hippocrites if they support the death penalty but at the same time hold anti abortion signs .
I had the same experience, but it wasn’t anyone who asked me, I asked myself. I came to the same conclusion.

None are without sin. Even the unborn bear original sin.
 
Purty harsh words there Defender1, especially because the unborn are innocent and those on death row aren’t. Those on death row have been tried and convicted.
Are you saying that no one has ever been wrongfully convicted? Or are you saying that if we execute a few innocent people, oh well, too bad?
 
My aunt was murdered and raped, and I remember the look on my father’s face when he came home that night after finding out. It was like a huge chunk of his life was suddenly ripped from his being and he would never fully recover from the death of his sister.

However my father did something I never would have expect anyone to do… he forgave the man in court. He forgave him for killing his sister, and didn’t wish the same to him, or to anyone. He thought the man deserved to be locked away for the rest of his life, but to wish death upon anyone is a burden to great to carry.
 
My aunt was murdered and raped, and I remember the look on my father’s face when he came home that night after finding out. It was like a huge chunk of his life was suddenly ripped from his being and he would never fully recover from the death of his sister.

However my father did something I never would have expect anyone to do… he forgave the man in court. He forgave him for killing his sister, and didn’t wish the same to him, or to anyone. He thought the man deserved to be locked away for the rest of his life, but to wish death upon anyone is a burden to great to carry.
Wow.
Thank you for sharing. God bless your family.
 
I believe next in line for prayers is Mr Brewer. It was mentioned earlier on this thread that he is scheduled for execution next week. Maybe we need a thread for each scheduled execution and sustained prayer until the death penalty becomes a thing of the past.
 
The last I heard earlier in the evening the SCOTUS gave clearance to carry on with this execution and the last I heard GA was about to proceed. I know CCC 2267 already teaches opposition of the death penalty except in very rare if not non existent cases.

"Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitely taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity “are very rare, if not practically non-existent.”

And I had heard Pope Benedict spoke out against this execution at an earlier time. Is this true?

I personally oppose the death penalty on the grounds that 2 wrongs do not make a right. Along with the fact that juries can be wrong and the state can be murdering an innocent person. And Jesus said we had heard an eye for eye but he said to turn the other cheek.

Let us pray. :gopray:
 
How can I be pro life and anti abortion if I support the death penalty ? I changed my view and am against the death penalty. PRO LIFE ALL THE WAY . I believe that many of us are hippocrites if they support the death penalty but at the same time hold anti abortion signs .
:amen:

But dont say this too loud, it tends to make others feel a little uncomfortable. Usually the response will be
  1. But abortion deals with innocent life while the DP deals with lowdown dirty convicts
    Personally I can think of nothing which sounds more contrary to the message of Christ.
  2. A quick reference to how the DP is considered not inherently evil under Catholic teachings since the middle ages. When you run into these people dont try to tell them how the CCC/US Bishops/ JP II all call for an end to the implementation of the DP as we know it here in the US.
 
News Update

Troy Davis Executed After Stay Denied by Supreme Court
Troy Davis was executed this evening for the murder of an off-duty policeman after the U.S. Supreme Court denied a last-minute stay of execution amid widespread public doubts about his guilt.
Davis, 42, died at 11:08 p.m. ET, according to a Georgia Department of Corrections official. His death by lethal injection came after an approximately four-hour delay for legal review.
abcnews.go.com/US/troy-davis-executed-stay-denied-supreme-court/story?id=14571862
 
My aunt was murdered and raped, and I remember the look on my father’s face when he came home that night after finding out. It was like a huge chunk of his life was suddenly ripped from his being and he would never fully recover from the death of his sister.

However my father did something I never would have expect anyone to do… he forgave the man in court. He forgave him for killing his sister, and didn’t wish the same to him, or to anyone. He thought the man deserved to be locked away for the rest of his life, but to wish death upon anyone is a burden to great to carry.
Thanks for this. This to me represents Christianity at its best. Having the strength to forgive the worst of crimes is really powerfull. How easy would it have been to call for the death of the killer, losing another life. This man will spend the rest of his life behind bars for his crime and rightly so. I think that the reasoning we have heard along the line of ‘well he is still a danger in prison and it is safer just to kill him’ is not a very Christian approach as I know it.
 
I believe next in line for prayers is Mr Brewer. It was mentioned earlier on this thread that he is scheduled for execution next week. Maybe we need a thread for each scheduled execution and sustained prayer until the death penalty becomes a thing of the past.
Lawrence Brewer was executed last night.
 
Didn’t say it was.

Do you really think that’s what I am saying? :rolleyes:

OK, I’ll play along…no and no. Next question?
Roll your eyes all you want, you did specifically say that those on death row aren’t innocent.

Given the number of releases we’ve seen, after convictions have been proven faulty, that’s not a good argument for the death penalty.
 
Troy Davis executed in Georgia amid innocence protests

"The US Supreme Court judges took more than four hours to issue their rejection of the final appeal, an unusually long time for such a ruling.

“The application for stay of execution of sentence of death presented to Justice [Clarence] Thomas and by him referred to the Court is denied,” it read.

Davis continued to protest his innocence in the death chamber.

Davis’s execution date had already been moved several times
"For those about to take my life, may God have mercy on your souls. May God bless your souls.

“All I can ask… is that you look deeper into this case so that you really can finally see the truth. I ask my family and friends to continue to fight this fight.”

Davis was pronounced dead at 23:08 (03:08 GMT Thursday), 15 minutes after the lethal injection began."

Read the full story at: bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15013860

One of those pleading the Supreme Court to grant clemency was the leader of our Church:

Pope makes plea to spare life of Troy Davis

“A U.S. envoy for Pope Benedict XVI, the leader of 1.1 billion Roman Catholics worldwide, sent a letter urging state officials to consider the special circumstances in the case, specifically that Davis’ “conviction was not based on any physical evidence, and the murder weapon was never found.””

savannahnow.com/troy-davis/2007-07-20/pope-makes-plea-spare-life-troy-davis
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top