Trying to form my conscience on this issue

• Thread starter Thread starter jredden92
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
jredden92:
Has the church ever come out and said this?
Yes, they have. That should be sufficient.
Can you reference where? I’d like to read it. It might make me feel better about all this.

It doesnt need to spell out a special announcement,
Clearly it does! This is a very pressing issue!
although plenty enough members of clergy already have.
And not necessarily for candidates you’d agree with.

Point me to where someone with authority over me told me I cannot vote for someone who is pro-choice if I believe they are the best for other reasons.

Last edited:
“A Catholic cannot vote for a candidate who favors a policy promoting an intrinsically evil act, such as abortion, euthanasia, assisted suicide, deliberately subjecting workers or the poor to subhuman living conditions, redefining marriage in ways that violate its essential meaning, or racist behavior, if the voter’s intent is to support that position”

So does that settle that you can’t knowingly vote for someone who is pro-choice? That’s how I’m interpretting it.

Edit: or you can vote for them but not support that position yourself?

Last edited:
I saw a group of people downtown holding signs saying “pray for the end of abortion” I’m thinking of chatting with them and asking who they would vote for in the next federal election.

You have to read the rest… you can vote for the pro-choice candidate with good reason, provided your vote is not because they are pro-choice.

You have to read the rest… you can vote for the pro-choice candidate with good reason, provided your vote is not because they are pro-choice.
I did read the rest. I think the idea is to vote for whoever would move society toward the common good even if they don’t have a perfect vision of what the common good is. This would be so much easier in a Theocracy lol

Someone supportive of unconstrained, state-funded mass murder of innocent life makes up for it by being best for “other reasons.” They must be some spectacular reasons.

I saw a group of people downtown holding signs saying “pray for the end of abortion” I’m thinking of chatting with them and asking who they would vote for in the next federal election.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Better yet, you could join the 40 Days for Life movement right now, during their Fall campaign. They are non-profit and apolitical, so I don’t know how much luck you’ll have trolling the participants. I would advise signing up as a prayer warrior, find a buddy, and bring your rosary.

Better yet, you could join the 40 Days for Life movement right now, during their Fall campaign. They are non-profit and apolitical, so I don’t know how much luck you’ll have trolling the participants. I would advise signing up as a prayer warrior, find a buddy, and bring your rosary.
So that’s who they are? In a way seeing them downtown got me thinking about all this and got me to make this thread. “Trolling the participants”? I was being genuine when I said I was thinking of talking to them.

People praying at abortion mills are usually trained not to engage strangers because of potentially poor outcomes. Participants of 40DFL are there to pray, not to shout and protest.

If you came up to me while I was in prayer, I would ignore you and give you a wide berth, as much as possible. It’s nothing personal. It’s just that we’ve had pro-abortion people come to argue and scream and disrupt peaceful prayer sessions. There have been assault charges; the police are often monitoring the situation; everyone has a camera.

Last edited:
People praying at abortion mills are usually trained not to engage strangers because of potentially poor outcomes. Participants of 40DFL are there to pray, not to shout and protest.

If you came up to me while I was in prayer, I would ignore you and give you a wide berth, as much as possible. It’s nothing personal. It’s just that we’ve had pro-abortion people come to argue and scream and disrupt peaceful prayer sessions. There have been assault charges; the police are often monitoring the situation; everyone has a camera.
Okay I understand. This group wasn’t at an abortion mill they were just standing at the corner of the city’s busiest intersection. It certainly wasn’t my intent of thinking that I wanted to go troll or harass them. Have I given off vibes that I’m pro-abortion? I actually had the thought of asking if they had an extra sign and maybe standing there for awhile…

Last edited:
Someone supportive of unconstrained, state-funded mass murder of innocent life makes up for it by being best for “other reasons.” They must be some spectacular reasons.
That is your opinion and not the teaching of the Church.

Lots of people would disagree with this.
No one cares what “lots of people” think. We care what the Church thinks, and Capta(name removed by moderator)rudeman has given a basically correct answer.

I would also say that 1ke gave the most complete answer.

As far as I’m concerned, that’s the end of the matter, but these threads always turn into people sharing what their individual conscience tells them to do rather than answering the question. It reminds me of those old ads for EF Hutton, “Well, MY broker is EF Hutton, and EF Hutton says…”

Last edited:
Thank you for helping to clarify. Correct me if I’m wrong but my take away from this is it’s okay to vote for a pro-choice candidate as long as that isn’t the only reason you are voting for them. The dilemma here in Canada is that the three parties who ever get seats in the house and are actually able to change anything have all said the debate on making abortion illegal is closed. So i guess you just pick the lesser evil. I voted for Andrew Scheer in the last election who is Catholic and at least said he personally doesn’t support abortion but that’s as far as he would go.

my take away from this is it’s okay to vote for a pro-choice candidate as long as that isn’t the only reason you are voting for them.
Exactly, maybe by adding “in spite of their pro-choice stance”. That’s the most condensed answer one could give.

Correct me if I’m wrong but my take away from this is it’s okay to vote for a pro-choice candidate as long as that isn’t the only reason you are voting for them.
I think you get the idea, but you worded this rather badly. A candidate being pro-choice should never be “a reason to vote for them” much less “the ONLY reason”. If you considered pro-choice as being a positive factor in choosing to vote for the candidate, then you committed a sin of supporting abortion.

However, if you voted for the candidate because you considered all the issues and based on your conscience, decided that the moral reasons to vote for the candidate outweighed the immorality of his being pro-choice, then you made a good faith decision to vote for him, and it’s not a sin.

Last edited:
Capta(name removed by moderator)rudeman has given a basically correct answer.
But it needs clarification.

In the US, our bishops have also specified that abortion is the preeminent issue.

So while you should consider all the issues on the table at election time, abortion is the preeminent one.

Since you are in Canada, our bishops do not exactly have jurisdiction. So you may want to check with your priest.

Since you are in Canada, our bishops do not exactly have jurisdiction. So you may want to check with your priest.
The Canadian bishops issued voting guidance for their 2019 election. The guide has been removed from the web now, presumably because the election is over, but when they have another one I’m sure the bishops will put something else up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back