TV: House

  • Thread starter Thread starter Katie1723
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw, that’s a matter of opinion. There are things I might not like right now but that’s only because I’d gotten to know the characters so well. It’s still a great show and I’m sure it will continue.

I’m going to ask Santa for those DVD’s. I only started watching House about a year ago.
I was hooked from the very first episode. I don’t think you will be dissapointed with the earlier episodes.

Have you ever heard Hugh Laurie speak normally with his British accent? He sounds so different from how he talks on House.
 
I was hooked from the very first episode. I don’t think you will be dissapointed with the earlier episodes.

Have you ever heard Hugh Laurie speak normally with his British accent? He sounds so different from how he talks on House.
Go view him in Black Adder or Wooster and Jeeves and you would not know he was House unless you knew it already.
 
Go view him in Black Adder or Wooster and Jeeves and you would not know he was House unless you knew it already.
I watched a few Hugh Laurie interviews online, and was floored because he sounds nothing like House.

Last night I watched the last episode of the 2nd season where he gets shot and is having hallucinations. I loved how he trusted his logic enough to kill the patient on the operating table so that he could force his subconscious mind to wake himself up as they were rolling him to surgery.

Now I need to start on Season 3 DVDs when I can get my hands on them!
 
I know this is a thread about the current season, but did anybody notice that extremely pro-life episode last season? I was knocked off my feet! It’s the one where House keeps trying to convince this woman to abort her “fetus,” and the staff keeps reminding him it’s a baby. Then, during the surgery, the baby reaches out and grabs House by the finger. After that, he refers to the baby as a baby, not a fetus. I thought it was an incredibly powerful message, and so unusual during a primetime drama.

This season I continue to be frustrated with the atheistic bias. Apparently it’s not enough for the writers to show that House is a cynic, they feel that they have to demonstrate that he’s “right.” Every time I see a preview for a new show in which House contemplates God or the afterlife, I’m hopeful … and then when I watch the episode, I’m disgusted. They definitely go overboard trying to prove that House has good sensible reasons for being an atheist. Come on!
 
They definitely go overboard trying to prove that House has good sensible reasons for being an atheist. Come on!
No, they don’t. Those shows serve to highlight House’s spiritual myopia. He insists on treating religion as an empirical event subject to scientific proof rather than an empirical event subject to experiential proof. House’s materialist presuppositions predetermine the answer to any religious question. Until he at least questions those presuppositions, his atheism will remain as firm as it is fundamentally irrational.

As an aside and completely off-topic for this thread, I’ve been impressed by how religious themes have been infrequently treated in Criminal Minds and in Supernatural. For example, a recent Criminal Minds had one of the principle characters take the first steps to reconcile himself with his Christian faith after facing the anger and disappointment resulting from what he perceived to be God’s failure to protect him from an abusive mentor as a child.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
No, they don’t. Those shows serve to highlight House’s spiritual myopia. He insists on treating religion as an empirical event subject to scientific proof rather than an empirical event subject to experiential proof. House’s materialist presuppositions predetermine the answer to any religious question. Until he at least questions those presuppositions, his atheism will remain as firm as it is fundamentally irrational.
This may be the case, however I have come away from these episodes with same impression that I did after reading Voltaire’s Candide: not only that the hero was a cynic, but that the writers agreed with him.

But maybe I am being too sensitive…

mary
 
This may be the case, however I have come away from these episodes with same impression that I did after reading Voltaire’s Candide: not only that the hero was a cynic, but that the writers agreed with him.

But maybe I am being too sensitive…

mary
I think it was less apparent in earlier seasons, when Chase was there to balance things a little.

I know exactly what you’re talking about, but I don’t feel it with House. He’s portrayed as an absolutely miserable human being…often mean just for the sake of being mean, a drug addict, a liar, uses prostitutes…he treats his one friend like trash. I don’t think we’re meant to emulate House or to find anything redeeming about him at this point, other than his talent as a diagnostician.

In a different kind of show, if he were looked up to by many (himself, not his medical skill), got all the girls, was lauded by his boss…I’d agree that the writer’s were pushing his aetheism as a good thing and the way to go. But not as it is now.

DH and I are ADORING this season, and weve been hardcore fans since the pilot and grumbled extensively about the change. But it’s keeping the show fresh, the candidates for the job are all interesting and well acted…we’re glad Foreman is back, and I miss Chase, but it’s been highly enjoyable.
 
I think it was less apparent in earlier seasons, when Chase was there to balance things a little.

I know exactly what you’re talking about, but I don’t feel it with House. He’s portrayed as an absolutely miserable human being…often mean just for the sake of being mean, a drug addict, a liar, uses prostitutes…he treats his one friend like trash. I don’t think we’re meant to emulate House or to find anything redeeming about him at this point, other than his talent as a diagnostician.

In a different kind of show, if he were looked up to by many (himself, not his medical skill), got all the girls, was lauded by his boss…I’d agree that the writer’s were pushing his aetheism as a good thing and the way to go. But not as it is now.

DH and I are ADORING this season, and weve been hardcore fans since the pilot and grumbled extensively about the change. But it’s keeping the show fresh, the candidates for the job are all interesting and well acted…we’re glad Foreman is back, and I miss Chase, but it’s been highly enjoyable.
You make some excellent points. I do miss the days when Chase or Cameron or even Wilson would throw in a good counter-argument, but I suppose given the context of House’s miserable existance, it’d be hard to say that he’s got it “all figured out.”

I’m enjoying this season, too. Somehow they found a way to bring in new characters, keep the old ones, mix it all up, and make it fresh. And perhaps there is a transformation going on inside the heart of Dr. House … who knows?
 
The team keeps showing up every now and then. Foreman was fired from his job last night (big surprise :rolleyes: ) and Cameron and the Aussie are both working at the same hospital as House, so I can’t see how they’re not all going to be back.

Personally, I think this whole thing is kind of a ratings ploy and I’m not really liking it so far. I mean, we know they’re coming back. I just wish they’d hurry up with it and get on with the show!

Scout :tiphat:
I rather like the new doctors he’s interviewing for his staff. Of course, that wasn’t as cool as when he solved the case (sherlock?) with the janitor.
 
I’ve been curious about this show for a while, and have started watching the re-runs on USA. I really have enjoyed it so far. I love Hugh Laurie. While a being a jerk (and I mean major jerk), he still manages to be likable.
I was wondering what other people think of the show.
 
Love the show for entertainment. Not gonna discus the immorality of such and such characters and their sinning behavior. I am certain some one else will chime in there.

House is one of my current favs on TV. I like watching the solution to the problem in the episode unfold. Looking forward to new episodes.
 
Yeah, if I’ve going to have a life-threatening illness I’d rather have House treating me rudely and curing me than Marcus Welby holding my hand as I die.😃

I really enjoy the show more for the mystery aspect of it than anything else.
 
Being a retired physician, I have to say I find it insulting. I had enough trouble in my days convincing young docs that there is more to medicine than providing a physical diagnosis and then prescribing a treatment.
 
Being a retired physician, I have to say I find it insulting. I had enough trouble in my days convincing young docs that there is more to medicine than providing a physical diagnosis and then prescribing a treatment.
You are 100% correct, Dr. Coffman. And the immorality of the show is disgusting.

That being said… it makes for good TV, and I love the show! 😃 😊
 
Are we allowed to post negative opinions about the show in this thread without being attacked?

Generally I’ve found that House lovers are not tolerant of anyone who dislikes their guy.
 
Good grief, I couldn’t care less that someone else hates the show. I like the character. The actor himself doesn’t really excite me that much – I’ve seen him in “Jeeves and Wooster” and wasn’t particularly impressed athough I generally love Brit sitcoms.

House’s his lack of beside manner rather reminds me of my former family physician who could be heard by everyone in the waiting room as he exclaimed “Woman, what did you hit that kid with … no don’t tell me that, you hit him!” “Paul, what have you been (sleeping with) to get that bad a d****???”

Oh yeah, he was both my family doctor when I was a kid and later one I worked with on the surgical ward of my local hospital. Lost his privileges when he developed Alzheimer’s and missed castrating a kid he was supposed to be circumcising “by THIS much”.
 
Yeah, if I’ve going to have a life-threatening illness I’d rather have House treating me rudely and curing me…
I have said that very thing too…Dr. Gregory House:whistle: :blushing: oh yeah…

Kathy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top