C
Cat
Guest
Cure you?!
You’d be dead by the time he figured out your diagnosis!
I work in a hospital lab, and most of us hate this show. It takes House FOREVER to figure out what’s wrong. If only we had that much time in real life.
The few times I’ve watched it, I find myself screaming at the TV set trying to get the guy to figure out what’s wrong! And I’m just a med tech.
On Tuesday of this week, one of our infectious disease docs figured out a deadly diagnosis in less that an hour (with our help!). BUT he also demonstrated compassion. He was down in our lab looking at slides and he told us, “This is the easy part. Now it gets hard because I have to go upstairs and tell the parents why their 18 year-old is dying.”
Heartbreaking. Thankfully, the patient is still alive and hopefully will survive after all.
I absolutely hate this show. It makes hospitals, especially labs, look like they’re full of stupid idiots, and it gives the incorrect impression that a doctor can get away with acting like a you-know-what. NO, he/she can’t!–even in a teaching hospital! In this day and age when hospitals face competition and are shutting down due to failure to make a profit, doctors are expected to act ethical and practice good customer service skills just like all of the rest of us. If they don’t, they’re out. A hospital cannot take the chance on getting sued or losing valuable contracts in order to put up with an egomaniac M.D. Too many people are counting on the jobs provided by a hospital to allow a horse’s patootie doctor to run rampant on his own ego juice.
I wish that one of the television networks would do a show about a REAL infectious disease specialist! These docs receive one of the lowest salaries of any M.D. specialty, yet so much rides on their work. All too often they are called in AFTER another doctor has exhausted all the other recourses. And they have to know everything–all those obscure diseases and bacteria and viruses, and they have to teach–I absolutely idolize the ID specialists in our city. They often amaze me with their knowledge and skill, and with their compassion. Why can’t we see THAT on tv instead of a boy/man who obviously didn’t get spanked as a child?
And I don’t think he’s handsome or cute, either.
You’d be dead by the time he figured out your diagnosis!
I work in a hospital lab, and most of us hate this show. It takes House FOREVER to figure out what’s wrong. If only we had that much time in real life.
The few times I’ve watched it, I find myself screaming at the TV set trying to get the guy to figure out what’s wrong! And I’m just a med tech.
On Tuesday of this week, one of our infectious disease docs figured out a deadly diagnosis in less that an hour (with our help!). BUT he also demonstrated compassion. He was down in our lab looking at slides and he told us, “This is the easy part. Now it gets hard because I have to go upstairs and tell the parents why their 18 year-old is dying.”
Heartbreaking. Thankfully, the patient is still alive and hopefully will survive after all.
I absolutely hate this show. It makes hospitals, especially labs, look like they’re full of stupid idiots, and it gives the incorrect impression that a doctor can get away with acting like a you-know-what. NO, he/she can’t!–even in a teaching hospital! In this day and age when hospitals face competition and are shutting down due to failure to make a profit, doctors are expected to act ethical and practice good customer service skills just like all of the rest of us. If they don’t, they’re out. A hospital cannot take the chance on getting sued or losing valuable contracts in order to put up with an egomaniac M.D. Too many people are counting on the jobs provided by a hospital to allow a horse’s patootie doctor to run rampant on his own ego juice.
I wish that one of the television networks would do a show about a REAL infectious disease specialist! These docs receive one of the lowest salaries of any M.D. specialty, yet so much rides on their work. All too often they are called in AFTER another doctor has exhausted all the other recourses. And they have to know everything–all those obscure diseases and bacteria and viruses, and they have to teach–I absolutely idolize the ID specialists in our city. They often amaze me with their knowledge and skill, and with their compassion. Why can’t we see THAT on tv instead of a boy/man who obviously didn’t get spanked as a child?
And I don’t think he’s handsome or cute, either.