TV: House

  • Thread starter Thread starter Katie1723
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my catholic faith, I am completely devoted to it, but I could actually admire someone like House. Yes, he’s a jerk, yes his morals are questionable, and I’m pretty sure he is an athiest, but he’s supposed to be a brilliant doctor.
I want to be a doctor, and I was telling my mom yesterday that I would rather work under someone that is a jerk and immoral but a brilliant doctor that I could learn from, than someone who is just as Catholic as me but knows nothing.
Oh, no you don’t. I know a lot of medical students and a lot of doctors. It is no fun to work for someone who is brilliant and never lets you forget it. That rotation will be torture for you. Thankfully many hospitals are dismissing these egomaniac physicians with messianic complexes. They can’t afford to keep “brilliant” physicians who continually drive away paying customers. Thank God.

Rather, what you should aspire to is to work for someone who is an excellent doctor who is also Catholic. My doctor is like that.

Brilliant? Very few doctors are brilliant. Doctors are good doctors because they work their butts off, study constantly, keep up with the profession, and never forget that they are human beings treating other human beings.

You do not have to park your brains at the door to be a Catholic.

For the third time, I will say it–why not a series about an infection control doctor who is brilliant and decent, like the ones that I work with? It is a sign of a very SICK society when people would rather watch a MONSTER performing medicine rather than watch a MAN practicing medicine.
 
I am not criticizing you. I merely asked if you were this passionate about everything. And don’t look to me to bann you. Actually I got quite a chuckle out of your post if you want to know the truth.
So how about a nice glass of wine and try to relax. It’ll be better for your blood pressure AND it has some nice resveretrol in it too.

Kathy
Glad you enjoyed it.

I don’t drink alcohol.
 
Personally, I think House is a great show. I like the character that Hugh Laurie plays: he’s funny, arrogant, a pill-popper, a sexist, and intolerant of stupid people.

It’s just a “show”. Pure fiction. It takes your mind off the daily grind. It’s entertaining. Probably not for everyone, but then everything isn’t for everyone.

😃
Yep! and you know I think if House wasn;t the way he is in the show the show would be pretty boring you know? It would just be another hospital drama with nothing really to set it apart.
 
Seriously, I think the show House does great harm in the U.S., and Hugh Laurie doesn’t give a rat’s behind that he is making mockery of truly good doctors. There are many shows that are pretty bad, but they don’t actually affect everyday life. House affects my everyday life at the hospital, as it gives the public the WRONG impression of hospitals and doctors.
Well, my aunt is a nurse and practiced for some years in Australia, and she’s the one who introduced me to the show. She seemed to find it not entirely false to her experience. Another friend (whose opinion of the show I do not know) worked as a nurse in the OR for years before getting burned out and becoming a librarian. She had a very low opinion of doctors.

I’m sure there are many wonderful doctors. In fact, I’ve met quite a few of them (I have a serious medical condition and my experience with doctors has generally been good). But there seems to be some truth behind the stereotype.

I also don’t find that the episodes of *House *I’ve seen gave me a particularly cynical view of doctors. In part no doubt because I know it’s fiction, but also because I see House as a hero. A flawed one with all sorts of motivations, but still someone who puts himself on the line to heal people.

Edwin
 
Oh, no you don’t. I know a lot of medical students and a lot of doctors. It is no fun to work for someone who is brilliant and never lets you forget it. That rotation will be torture for you. Thankfully many hospitals are dismissing these egomaniac physicians with messianic complexes. They can’t afford to keep “brilliant” physicians who continually drive away paying customers. Thank God.

Rather, what you should aspire to is to work for someone who is an excellent doctor who is also Catholic. My doctor is like that.

Brilliant? Very few doctors are brilliant. Doctors are good doctors because they work their butts off, study constantly, keep up with the profession, and never forget that they are human beings treating other human beings.

You do not have to park your brains at the door to be a Catholic.

For the third time, I will say it–why not a series about an infection control doctor who is brilliant and decent, like the ones that I work with? It is a sign of a very SICK society when people would rather watch a MONSTER performing medicine rather than watch a MAN practicing medicine.
Believe me, House is NOTHING compared to my current boss (I work part time at a dog kennel). She is a nightmare (think Devil Wears Prada, but worse).
I’m a strong willed person luckily, so I can actually handle people like that without getting angry.
I’ve had a lot of medical problems sinse the age of 2. The hospital is basically a second home to me (one of the reasons I want to become a doctor). Most of the doctors that helped me most, and who I admire most were athiests. Maybe most catholics would look down on this, but I’m not going to change my admiration for them because of the religios beliefs (or lack of).
I would not want a good hearted, but not very knowledable doctor to work on me. I’d still much rather have the doctor that is not Mr. Friendly but brilliant.
And I’m not going to work with a doctor just because he’s Catholic. I’m going to leave my religion out of my work.
 
Yeah, if I’ve going to have a life-threatening illness I’d rather have House treating me rudely and curing me than Marcus Welby holding my hand as I die.😃
:clapping: I think that’s why House is one of my favorite shows.
 
Of course, then there are those docs who are both rude and incompetent! Sometimes you can get the best of both worlds.
 
Of course, then there are those docs who are both rude and incompetent! Sometimes you can get the best of both worlds.
I worked with one like that. But if I were to be sick and no one could figure it out, one word: HOUSE

Kathy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top