UoM How to be Gay course --- this is not a joke

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daniel_Marsh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to me like the course instructor’s looking for a boyfriend.🙂
 
Actually, I believe he would call them what the APA’s DSM IV calls them.

Mentally ill.

You see, in the DSM IV, rejecting homosexuality is the only form of sexual deviance or disorder left. (That includes pedophilia which is simply classified as a crime.)
:eek: :eek: :eek:
 
I’ve been to Mass at St. Mary’s and while it’s not great, it’s several levels better than St. John’s at Michigan State. That place is disturbing.
Why? What goes on there…? Or Should I brace myself?
 
Why? What goes on there…? Or Should I brace myself?
I was able to overlook the lack of kneelers (although I think it’s the only Catholic church I’ve ever been in that didn’t have kneelers), but at the last Mass I attended, they were using “Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier” rather than “Father, Son, Holy Spirit” to go along with the gender-inclusive hymnals. They were also using regular bread torn into chunks for communion. There were a lot of liberal discards of Church doctrine that I couldn’t stomach, either. I hope it’s improved since then, but it’s Gov. Granholm’s regular parish so I doubt it.

If you can manage transportation, don’t bother with St. John’s. Go to St. Thomas Aquinas on M.A.C. Avenue in E. Lansing.
 
Kind of looks to me like Prof Halperin found a way to get paid for cruising. He won’t even have to tap his foot under a toilet stall. They’ll all be right there in his class, ready to “learn”!
👍 :rotfl: :clapping:

The thread title says “this is not a joke” but c’mon…someone’s playing a prank on me (Sarcasm) Either that or it’s true what they say…“Hell has indeed frozen over”:eek:
 
And people wonder why, when I was in school there, Ann Arbor was called the “twit magnet of the midwest.” I’ll never forget when the Public Health grad students dressed up as spermatozoa, and went over to the School of Public Health and began to bounce off the building, all in an effort to promote condom use on campus. Don’t even ask me about the atrocities that occurred at the student chapel every Sunday.(affectionately referred to as St. Mary’s Flying Circus!):grouphug:
St. Thomas the Apostle Parish, while not perfect, was most certainly quite a refuge.
 
IEnglish 317 has a provocative title, but its premise is substantially what Simone de Beauvoir meant when she wrote: “One is not born a woman, but becomes one.” ) .
I would not use Simone De Beauvoir as a reliable gauge for most women. She didn’t believe in God and had numerous sexual partners both male and female. She was also very pro abortion and against women being allowed to remain home with their own children.

**No woman should be authorized to stay at home and raise her children. Society should be totally different. Women should not have that choice, precisely because if there is such a choice, too many women will make that one." **-- Interview with Simone de Beauvoir, “Sex, Society, and the Female Dilemma,” Saturday Review,

I don’t mean to derail the thread but many people on this forum probably haven’t heard of this bygone, radical feminist and won’t know why she is a poor person to use as an example for the point you are trying to make.

Sorry.:o
 
Ya, is there a lab section for extra credit? 😃
According to the course description in the catalog, the courseload involves “light reading, four writing assignments, a couple of in-class presentations, attendance at evening film screenings. Approximate book cost: $110.”

I wonder about the film screenings. A friend of mine taking a human sexuality course at a local state university, was required for one assignment to attend a nearby porn cinema.
 
According to the course description in the catalog, the courseload involves “light reading, four writing assignments, a couple of in-class presentations, attendance at evening film screenings. Approximate book cost: $110.”

I wonder about the film screenings. A friend of mine taking a human sexuality course at a local state university, was required for one assignment to attend a nearby porn cinema.
If the syllabus tells you to bring your own newspaper for the film screenings, then you know. (Oh! How could I be such a phillistine!!!)
 
I’ve always thought that universities, at the undergraduate level, have way too many course offerings. I can recall looking through the course catalog even at my (then) rather mundane Jesuit university, and thinking, that with the amount of basic knowledge that all graduates should have, there was really no room for electives, because everyone needed to be at least literate in the humanities as well as the sciences.

For the UM winter semester, English 317 describes two separate courses: one on Disability Culture,
There is also a course on “The Culture of the 1950’s.” Perhaps I could teach that one. lsa.umich.edu/cg/cg_detail.aspx?content=1670ENGLISH407003&termArray=w_08_1670

And the course covering “Science Fiction” lsa.umich.edu/cg/cg_detail.aspx?content=1670ENGLISH313001&termArray=w_08_1670has Poe, Bradbury, and LeGuin on the reading list, but not Asimov. Too bad. In any case, there are no exams.
 
If the syllabus tells you to bring your own newspaper for the film screenings, then you know. (Oh! How could I be such a phillistine!!!)
Help me out. If this is a joke, I’m naive and don’t get it. Newspaper? Film screenings?
 
Help me out. If this is a joke, I’m naive and don’t get it. Newspaper? Film screenings?
I would explain, but the explanation itself would be in poor taste.

The syllabus makes reference to some required film screenings. I was just wondering if they were porn. They might not be. The other university course I was referring to actually had the students go to visit a local porn cinema and report back. (With the advent of the Internet, business at the porn cinema has probably decreased.)
 
“It’s college professors! Soylent Green is made out of college professors!”
 
Excerpts from the course description:

I thought the whole idea was that one was BORN gay. If you have to “learn how to be gay”, then that blows the whole genetic basis for homosexuality argument out of the water.

Sigh. I’m glad I’m in the medical school and not the college of LSA. That’s not quite as bad as some of the courses on things like sexual fetishes and porn that are offered at some schools, but still. Will it really contribute to a well-rounded education?
Even though this course seems like a colossal waste of money, it does appear to confirm the notion that environmental and psycho-social factors play a large role in same-sex attraction and in the development of the gay identity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top