Visions of Purgatory

• Thread starter Thread starter convertmjh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Churchmouse,

"…that holiness can be attained in this life. I really don’t know how you can see the words “nothing unclean” and rationalize that it “definitely applies to the afterlife.”

–I am not rationlizing anything. First, the very statement “nothing unclean shall enter Heaven” is a direct statement of the afterlife…Heaven is not on earth and not in this life.
–We can reach a “certain” level of holiness in this life and that is what the Saints did. Yet, for most of us attaining the level of Sainthood is not going to happen. Most of us will die in some state of sin and uncleaness…that is just an obvious fact. The “uncleaness” is not washed away when we are forgiven and that is easily demonstrated in this life. Say a person goes to confession and confesses all their sins, the Priest gives the absolution and all the person’s sins are then totally erased, blotted from the record. Does that mean when the person walks out of the confessional that they can no longer sin? No, of course not–because every human (bar Mary) has sinned. That is the very thing/trait (inclination) that must be purified before we enter Heaven. No soul who still has an inclination to sin will be allowed into Heaven, even though their actual personal sins have been forgiven by Jesus.

“Again, you would have to inflict your interpretation into the verse to make it sound purgatorial.”

–Nope, not true. I am merely trying to get you to see that the 2 Maccabees passage reflects prayers for the dead and it is a reflection of a good act, not a sinful act. Again, I have admitted before that the passage does not speak of purification, nor of purgatory, it merely speaks of the good act of praying for the dead. Now, connecting the dots we can recall that praying for or to the spiritual dead was strictly forbidden by God; therefore the Jews in 2 Maccabees could NOT have been praying for or to the spiritually dead for that would have been a mortal sin; they also would not have been praying for souls in Heaven for a person can not get higher then Heaven; therefore, those Jews had to believe there was a third place for souls to go after death.

“Again, in light of Catholic teaching, these men died with idols in their possession. They died with mortal sin, thus, they would be considered “spiritually dead” as you have stated.”

–I disagree. Look at the last part of the passge: “For if he (Judas)were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.”
–Clearly Judas knew that prayers for the spiritually dead was useless, he had expectation that those souls could be prayed for, that they were not in what Catholics would call mortal sin. In fact, the passage even states “…for those who fall asleep in godliness,” which clearly is the state that Judas believed those men to have died in. The Bible is not wrong.

“Not only are you disproving that Judas was doing something righteous, but you are also giving substance as to why this book doesn’t belong.”

–Nope. Judas knew what he was doing and he certainly knew the prohibition against praying for the spiritually dead; yet we see that he did pray for those fallen men, which means he certainly believed that they were in place where his prayers could be of use. It would be ludicrous to thinink that Judas would recognize the men’s sins when they used the tokens, just to turn around and commit mortal sin himself-----that does NOT jibe.
–The Canon of Scripture (OT and NT) was approved by the Catholic Church. The Holy Spirit inspired the writings in the Canon. Now, what possible good would it do if the Holy Spirit inspired the writing of the books, only to go on vacation when it came time to creating the official Canon? That does not jibe. Besides, when one looks deeply into the use of the Scriptures during Jesus’ day, it becomes clear that Jesus quoted from the Greek Septuagint, and that version contained all of the seven books that Protestants yank from the Canon. Those seven books were approved by the early councils and synods as being fully Canonical. Did the Holy Spirit make an error?

(continued)

Churchmouse,

One final point. Matthew 16:16-18 is incredibly clear. In that passage the Church was given the keys to the kingdom, it was given the papacy and it was given the power to bind and loose. Since Jesus bestowed that on the Church through Peter, it is the Church that can and does make these formal teachings interpretations. If the Church says purgatory exists, then it exists–because Jesus promised that the gates of Hades shall not prevail against His Church. If the teaching on purgatory is wrong, then the gates of Hades overran the Church in the early centuries, which means we can not lean on anything Jesus promised.

Personally, I trust Jesus and His promises.

thomasj317:
Churchmouse,

One final point. Matthew 16:16-18 is incredibly clear. In that passage the Church was given the keys to the kingdom, it was given the papacy and it was given the power to bind and loose. Since Jesus bestowed that on the Church through Peter, it is the Church that can and does make these formal teachings interpretations. If the Church says purgatory exists, then it exists–because Jesus promised that the gates of Hades shall not prevail against His Church. If the teaching on purgatory is wrong, then the gates of Hades overran the Church in the early centuries, which means we can not lean on anything Jesus promised.
Thomas, that’s an entirely different subject altogether.

This may prove redundant, but I don’t see anything in Matthew 16:18 which proves a papacy or the exclusive ability to “bind and loose.” There is nothing in Scripture stating that only the church can make “formal teaching interpretations” and, ironically, these particular interpretations you mention regarding the papacy and formal teaching interpretations come from “the Church.” So it goes circular. You’re correct! The Catholic church does say purgatory exists, but unfortunately, that is the only thing you have to go on. Jesus’ promise that the gates of Hades will not prevail isn’t a guarantee that the church cannot fall into error (again, missing from the context). The gates of Hades have never prevailed against the church and it continues to be built, so Christ’s promises are and remain true. It is just your application of Christ’s promises that’s in error.
Personally, I trust Jesus and His promises.
As do I :o .

Peace,
CM

Whoops! Didn’t see this one. This is a great forum format, but it doesn’t allow for more than 5000 words at one time. So this is part 1 of 2…
thomasj317:
Churchmouse,

"…that holiness can be attained in this life. I really don’t know how you can see the words “nothing unclean” and rationalize that it “definitely applies to the afterlife.”

–I am not rationlizing anything. First, the very statement “nothing unclean shall enter Heaven” is a direct statement of the afterlife…Heaven is not on earth and not in this life.
There is no mention of the afterlife and this can pertain to earth as well. You can only assume that it speaks of the afterlife. Again, their is no reason to believe otherwise.
–We can reach a “certain” level of holiness in this life and that is what the Saints did. Yet, for most of us attaining the level of Sainthood is not going to happen. Most of us will die in some state of sin and uncleaness…that is just an obvious fact. The “uncleaness” is not washed away when we are forgiven and that is easily demonstrated in this life.
I believe I already answered this, but holiness can be attained in this life through Jesus Christ. He is able to complete the work he begins in the believer before death. Again, your bias towards purgatory is the only reason why you believe this verse to be purgatorial.
Say a person goes to confession and confesses all their sins, the Priest gives the absolution and all the person’s sins are then totally erased, blotted from the record. Does that mean when the person walks out of the confessional that they can no longer sin? No, of course not–because every human (bar Mary) has sinned. That is the very thing/trait (inclination) that must be purified before we enter Heaven. No soul who still has an inclination to sin will be allowed into Heaven, even though their actual personal sins have been forgiven by Jesus.
Thomas, you’re injecting uniquely Catholic distinctions into this dialogue. For me to believe this, I would have to believe in an exclusive priesthood, his exclusive ability to “bind and loose,” that sins receive absolution through the said priest, that Mary never sinned, etc. No offense, but it’s no surprise that you believe in purgatory 🙂
“Again, you would have to inflict your interpretation into the verse to make it sound purgatorial.”

–Nope, not true. I am merely trying to get you to see that the 2 Maccabees passage reflects prayers for the dead and it is a reflection of a good act, not a sinful act. Again, I have admitted before that the passage does not speak of purification, nor of purgatory, it merely speaks of the good act of praying for the dead. Now, connecting the dots we can recall that praying for or to the spiritual dead was strictly forbidden by God; therefore the Jews in 2 Maccabees could NOT have been praying for or to the spiritually dead for that would have been a mortal sin; they also would not have been praying for souls in Heaven for a person can not get higher then Heaven; therefore, those Jews had to believe there was a third place for souls to go after death.
But you can’t get past the dilemma. On the one hand, you claim he did a good thing, but on the other, by your own words, he did a wrong thing by praying for “spiritually dead.” The Catholic church teaches that idolatry is a mortal sin. The Jews, at this time, DID believe in a third state; however it wasn’t purgatorial. Jesus alludes to this in Luke 16. 1) There was heaven 2) There was a hell of the damned within Sheol 3) There was a place of comfort where Lazarus the beggar went upon his death called “Abraham’s bosom.” Considering that Christ is the only way to the Father and Christ had not yet come, the OT saints went to Abraham’s bosom until after the first Ascension. Abraham’s bosom can be said to be a third realm, but it wasn’t purgatory.

[continued]

Part 2:
“Again, in light of Catholic teaching, these men died with idols in their possession. They died with mortal sin, thus, they would be considered “spiritually dead” as you have stated.”

–I disagree. Look at the last part of the passge: “For if he (Judas)were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.”
–Clearly Judas knew that prayers for the spiritually dead was useless, he had expectation that those souls could be prayed for, that they were not in what Catholics would call mortal sin. In fact, the passage even states “…for those who fall asleep in godliness,” which clearly is the state that Judas believed those men to have died in. The Bible is not wrong.
Correct. The Bible is not wrong, but the dilemma is that either this book isn’t Scripture or Judas prayed for their release from the hell of the damned. You really cannot get by this. Again, these men died with idols and idolatry is condemned by the RCC as a mortal sin. You can’t have both.
“Not only are you disproving that Judas was doing something righteous, but you are also giving substance as to why this book doesn’t belong.”
–Nope. Judas knew what he was doing and he certainly knew the prohibition against praying for the spiritually dead; yet we see that he did pray for those fallen men, which means he certainly believed that they were in place where his prayers could be of use. It would be ludicrous to thinink that Judas would recognize the men’s sins when they used the tokens, just to turn around and commit mortal sin himself-----that does NOT jibe.
Well, the book is really confusing isn’t it 😃 and it doesn’t allow you to get passed the dilemma. The passage doesn’t speak about purgatory and Judas prays looking ahead to the resurrection. Judas prays for men who had idols, thus he prayed for the “spiritually dead.” Judas was wrong to do this. Yet, you would have me believe that Judas wasn’t wrong, his men didn’t commit mortal sin, and that this book makes perfect Catholic sense. All this without any evidence to prove your point.
–The Canon of Scripture (OT and NT) was approved by the Catholic Church. The Holy Spirit inspired the writings in the Canon. Now, what possible good would it do if the Holy Spirit inspired the writing of the books, only to go on vacation when it came time to creating the official Canon? That does not jibe. Besides, when one looks deeply into the use of the Scriptures during Jesus’ day, it becomes clear that Jesus quoted from the Greek Septuagint, and that version contained all of the seven books that Protestants yank from the Canon. Those seven books were approved by the early councils and synods as being fully Canonical. Did the Holy Spirit make an error?
God doesn’t make errors and not everyone in the early church accepted these books, but that’s another subject for another time 🙂

Peace,
CM

Churchmouse,

I give you credit and thanks for responding at length to my messages; however, it seems to me that you are intent on glossing over all of the major points I have made by continuing your statements that such-and-such passsage does not contain the word or teaching “purgatory.” You are certainly well aware that the there is not one passage in the Bible that contains the word “trinity” or even the word “bible,” yet you believe the truth of the Trinity and you do not gloss over the passages that reveal the truth of the Trinity.

Here is just one example of how, imo, you gloss over truths:

From the 2 Maccabees passage:

“So they all blessed the ways of the Lord, the righteous Judge, who reveals the things that are hidden; and they turned to prayer, beseeching that the sin which had been committed might be wholly blotted out.”

==> The simple truth is, if those fallen men were damned, then no amount of prayer offerings could ever help them, and in fact the people who were doing the praying were committing mortal sin if they were praying for spiritually dead people. However, the text continues…

“and the noble Judas exhorted the people…”

==> Hmm, the passage says, The "noble Judas. How can Judas be noble if he is causing his people to commit mortal sin? Then, the text continues…

“He also took up a collection, man by man, to the amount of two thousand drachmas of silver, and sent it to Jerusalem to provide for a sin offering.”

==> Look again, Judas did what? He took a collection for a sin offering. But, how could a noble Jewish man do that for the sins of people who are not able to be prayed for? Would he not be committing mortal sin doing such a thing? Yet, what does the text say next…

“In doing this he acted very well and honorably, taking account of the resurrection.”

==> Scripture says that Judas was noble, and that he acted very well and honorably…not exactly a codemnation of a person who has led his people into mortal sin–is it? Then, what does text say next…

“For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead.”

==> Hmm, the text tells us that Judas was expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, and that it would basically be a foolish act to pray for them if they were not going to rise again.

==> However, we know that souls who go to hell cannot be helped by prayers, and we know that praying for souls who are in Heaven is a waste of time because they are already in Heavem; however, Judas’ prayers and atonement for the dead is seen as being noble, acting very well and honorable. If Judas was guilty of mortal sin, would he not be condemned in Scripture? Rather, he is given high marks as being noble, acting very well and honorable. Again, I repeat, no condemnation there at all.

Question: If Judas and his people were not praying for souls in hell, and if they were not praying for souls in heaven–then where were the souls they were praying for?

Answer: A third place!

BTW, in my opinion, if the Church is wrong about even ONE dogma or doctrine, then the gates of hades has prevailed. The gates of hades prevails when the Church formally teaches anything that can lead the body of Christ into mortal sin.

Churchmouse,

We you please stop saying that we are the ones taking scripture out of context. If you don’t go by the Church as your authority, then you must say it is okay for us to have our own interpretations just as you do. What makes you so certain that you are not the one taking scripture out of context. Have you honestly studied the Old Testament or the Gospels to know exactly what Matthew was trying to say. This man would have been steeped in the Old Testament and you say that you know for sure what he meant in chapter 16. At least we have the Church Fathers on our side (some who knew the Apostles themselves) and very smart theologians like Scott Hahn ( who have devoted their lives to studying the Bible) and not mention the promise that the Holy Spirit will guide the Church into all truth. I believe that Jesus established one visible, concrete church that contains all truth. If the Catholic church doesn’t have it, than please tell me who does, because the church that Jesus started does not have conflicting doctrines.

Search for truth with an open mind and heart because Jesus is the truth (John 14:6). Peace in Christ

Churchmouse,

People today who beleive that purgatory exists are in very good company, consider the following:

Tertullian–The Crown 3:3, dated A.D. 211, “We offer sacrifices for the dead on their birthday anniversaries”.

Cyprian of Carthage writes in A.D. 253:
It is one thing to stand for pardon, another thing to attain to glory; it is one thing, when cast into prison, not to go out thence until one has paid the uttermost farthing; another thing at once to receive the wages of faith and courage. It is one thing, tortured by long suffering for sins, to be cleansed and long purged by fire; another to have purged all sins by suffering. It is one thing, in fine, to be in suspense till the sentence of God at the day of judgment; another to be at once crowned by the Lord.

St. John Chrysostom in his Homilies on 1 Corinthians 41:5, A.D. 392: Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.

St. Augustine’s A.D. 419. City of God: Temporal punishments are suffered by some in this life only, by some after death, by 'some both here and hereafter, but all of them before that last and strictest judgment. But not all who suffer temporal punishments after death will come to eternal punishments, which are to follow after that judgment"

40.png
Ric:
Once again it’s the man’s works and not the man himself being revealed and tested by fire.

**Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw-- each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. **
(1 Corinthians 3:12-15 ESV)
Ric,

We agree that anyone with a foundation (ie in Christ) is saved.

It is our work, or rather sorts of work (bad (sin) vs good ) that it tested by fire. If one’s work is burnt we will suffer loss as through fire.

The key here is to note that most of us Christians will have many good sorts of work and hopefully not to many bad sorts of work.

So, what happens if we are almost perfect or ‘perfect enough’ and destined for a reward because of our good works when we die.
Does this exempt us from getting some of our bad works manifest to us?
Well, say I also performed a bad work (had an argument with my wife). This work will definitely be burned up as scripture says (since its that sort of work) and as a result I will suffer loss. What sort of loss will it be. The Church doesn’t say exactly, but the scripture quote says it involves suffering. This suffering a loss is what the Chuch would call purgatory.

Suffering doesn’t happen in heaven.

(Just a note that we are talking about minor sins or bad works, because if we were to perform major sins (murder,adultery,abortion…) we could not possibly be in a state of grace to begin with.)

Again, this response is in two parts:
Churchmouse,
I give you credit and thanks for responding at length to my messages; however, it seems to me that you are intent on glossing over all of the major points I have made by continuing your statements that such-and-such passsage does not contain the word or teaching “purgatory.” You are certainly well aware that the there is not one passage in the Bible that contains the word “trinity” or even the word “bible,” yet you believe the truth of the Trinity and you do not gloss over the passages that reveal the truth of the Trinity.
No, I am not the one “glossing over” and I believe that is self-evident by anyone reading this thread. To put it simply, I have nothing to prove. It is your burden considering purgatory is left for you to defend from some isolated verses in 2 Maccabees. However, considering the actions of Judas Maccabeus, it is self-evident that the verses conflict with Catholic thought on mortal sin and idolatry. You would expect me to believe what you’re saying, but ignore what is being presented. Like I said before, you can’t have it both ways. So if there is any “glossing over” it isn’t on my part.
Here is just one example of how, imo, you gloss over truths:
From the 2 Maccabees passage:
“So they all blessed the ways of the Lord, the righteous Judge, who reveals the things that are hidden; and they turned to prayer, beseeching that the sin which had been committed might be wholly blotted out.”
==> The simple truth is, if those fallen men were damned, then no amount of prayer offerings could ever help them, and in fact the people who were doing the praying were committing mortal sin if they were praying for spiritually dead people. However, the text continues…
Read the passage: “But under the tunic of each of the dead they found amulets sacred to the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear. So it was clear to all that this was why these men had been slain” (vs.40)

After this they prayed that this sin would be fully blotted out, but does that mean that God would absolve the sins of “idolators”???

It is evident that these men were slain because they were idolatrous. No matter how you slice it, the RCC teaches that idolatry is a mortal sin. Men who die in mortal sin go to the hell of the damned, not to heaven, and certainly not to some fictional “purgatory.” So, either this book has it wrong, Judas despite his nobility had it wrong, or the RCC does. Take your pick.
“and the noble Judas exhorted the people…”
==> Hmm, the passage says, The "noble Judas. How can Judas be noble if he is causing his people to commit mortal sin? Then, the text continues…
The text doesn’t say that Judas “caused” these men to commit sin. I don’t know how you got this from the passage.
“He also took up a collection, man by man, to the amount of two thousand drachmas of silver, and sent it to Jerusalem to provide for a sin offering.”
==> Look again, Judas did what? He took a collection for a sin offering. But, how could a noble Jewish man do that for the sins of people who are not able to be prayed for? Would he not be committing mortal sin doing such a thing? Yet, what does the text say next…
You ask me the question, but it’s your question to be answered. How do you justify Judas’ actions in light of Catholic teaching on idolatry and mortal sin? Again, it isn’t my burden to prove, but yours. To clarify a term you used earlier, you are “glossing over” what is so evident.

[continued]

Part 2:
“In doing this he acted very well and honorably, taking account of the resurrection.”
Correct! The “resurrection” and not a fictional purgatory. There is no account of a purgatory in these passages. I don’t accept this book as Scripture, but even though I don’t, it doesn’t take much to see that there is no purgatory in this passage. Judas was mindful of a later day when the dead will rise.
==> Scripture says that Judas was noble, and that he acted very well and honorably…not exactly a codemnation of a person who has led his people into mortal sin–is it? Then, what does text say next…
Yes, the text says he was noble and for all practical purposes he probably was, but being noble doesn’t mean you have it right.
“For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead.”
==> Hmm, the text tells us that Judas was expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, and that it would basically be a foolish act to pray for them if they were not going to rise again.
Well, obviously Judas was expecting something which wasn’t going to happen for these men. Do you believe that idolators enter the kingdom? Or do you conveniently excuse the circumstances these men were under and how it contradicts Judas’ behavior and Catholic doctrine. You don’t seem to want to come to terms with it, but the text says one thing, Catholic doctrine another. How do you expect me to buy what is so contradictory and illogical? By telling me that I’m “glossing over” things? Not likely.
==> However, we know that souls who go to hell cannot be helped by prayers, and we know that praying for souls who are in Heaven is a waste of time because they are already in Heavem; however, Judas’ prayers and atonement for the dead is seen as being noble, acting very well and honorable. If Judas was guilty of mortal sin, would he not be condemned in Scripture? Rather, he is given high marks as being noble, acting very well and honorable. Again, I repeat, no condemnation there at all.
You are getting this all confused. No one said that Judas was guilty of mortal sin. You were the one who brought up that if Judas prayed for the “spiritually dead”, the action would be wrong. Well, he did! He prayed for men with idols in their possession, but you would have me believe that, in this case, it was alright. Sorry, but there is a contradiction here and you’ll have to do a better job of assessing the facts and accepting what is so glaring. I mean no offense, but I wasn’t born yesterday.
Question: If Judas and his people were not praying for souls in hell, and if they were not praying for souls in heaven–then where were the souls they were praying for?
Answer: A third place!
*Voila!! * And you answer with an assumption! But there is no reason to believe in a third place if Judas was mindful of simply the resurrection. He was looking ahead to the resurrection and not to a temporal place where one is released upon providing full satisfaction. The difference here is that you assume what’s in the passage and I see what’s in the passage. It is you who inflicts more than the passage is giving. Sorry, but it just doesn’t jibe.
BTW, in my opinion, if the Church is wrong about even ONE dogma or doctrine, then the gates of hades has prevailed. The gates of hades prevails when the Church formally teaches anything that can lead the body of Christ into mortal sin.
Well, you’re entitled to your opinion, but I don’t see the verses in Matthew 16 quite the same way you do either.

Peace,
CM

40.png
germys9:
Churchmouse,

We you please stop saying that we are the ones taking scripture out of context. If you don’t go by the Church as your authority, then you must say it is okay for us to have our own interpretations just as you do. What makes you so certain that you are not the one taking scripture out of context. Have you honestly studied the Old Testament or the Gospels to know exactly what Matthew was trying to say. This man would have been steeped in the Old Testament and you say that you know for sure what he meant in chapter 16. At least we have the Church Fathers on our side (some who knew the Apostles themselves) and very smart theologians like Scott Hahn ( who have devoted their lives to studying the Bible) and not mention the promise that the Holy Spirit will guide the Church into all truth. I believe that Jesus established one visible, concrete church that contains all truth. If the Catholic church doesn’t have it, than please tell me who does, because the church that Jesus started does not have conflicting doctrines.

Search for truth with an open mind and heart because Jesus is the truth (John 14:6). Peace in Christ
I always admire a person whose convictions are matched by his emotions. I may not know why you say the things you said considering the same questions can be asked of yourself, but I can respect that. I would indulge your other questions, but I have been encountered with these arguments many times and really don’t want to go through them again, at least not right now. All I can tell you is that the church of yore seems many miles away from the church of today. I do take exception with one thing though, the church fathers are very much our fathers as well, but there were various views on many things amongst the church fathers, so no, they weren’t always in agreement.

Peace,
CM

Churchmouse,
People today who beleive that purgatory exists are in very good company, consider the following:
Tertullian–The Crown 3:3, dated A.D. 211, “We offer sacrifices for the dead on their birthday anniversaries”.
Cyprian of Carthage writes in A.D. 253:
It is one thing to stand for pardon, another thing to attain to glory; it is one thing, when cast into prison, not to go out thence until one has paid the uttermost farthing; another thing at once to receive the wages of faith and courage. It is one thing, tortured by long suffering for sins, to be cleansed and long purged by fire; another to have purged all sins by suffering. It is one thing, in fine, to be in suspense till the sentence of God at the day of judgment; another to be at once crowned by the Lord.
St. John Chrysostom in his Homilies on 1 Corinthians 41:5, A.D. 392:
Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.
St. Augustine’s A.D. 419. City of God:
Temporal punishments are suffered by some in this life only, by some after death, by 'some both here and hereafter, but all of them before that last and strictest judgment. But not all who suffer temporal punishments after death will come to eternal punishments, which are to follow after that judgment"
You know, it must be nice to be on a forum where one can find the answers by simply cutting and pasting from one of the articles here. Again, I mean no offense, but I learned a long time ago not to take things at face value. After all, a citation should be taken in the context of its author and not on its own. With that said I’ll have to look up Cyprian’s and Chrysostom’s view rather than some isolated quotes. As far as Augustine goes, I know that he held to the essence of purgatory, but his view has no bearing on mine. As far as Tertullian goes, he didn’t believe in a purgatory. He believed in a place much like Abraham’s bosom where the dead reside until the resurrection. There was nothing purgatorial about it and, just like Luke 16, it was a place of comfort; a “taste of heaven” you might say. Offering sacrifices for the dead can be done without inflicting purgatory into the mix.

So from what I see, considering that you didn’t present Tertullian’s view correctly, I am a bit skeptical of your usage of Cyprian and Chrysostom. I suggest you get the book I mentioned earlier by Roman Catholic medieval historian Jacques Le Goff. It’s called The Birth of Purgatory (University of Chicago Press;1984 English ed.). Again, he contends that this belief didn’t appear in the Latin theology of the West until the twelfth century. He has a nice section on Tertullian and shows with clarity what Tertullian truly believed.

One other thing that bears mentioning, assuming that Cyprian believed in a purgatorial state (not that he did, we’re just assuming), that’s mid-3rd century. What happened to purgatory for the first two and half centuries? Silence? Seems to me that a doctrine that was supposedly taught by the church from the onset, regarding a place where the majority of the “saved” go, would be spoken of much more frequently and with clarity. But all we find is silence for 2 and a half centuries. Very telling.

Peace,
CM

Everyone is talking 2 Maccabees, let’s see the whole passage in context.
Judas rallied his army and went to the city of Adullam. As the week was ending, they purified themselves according to custom and kept the sabbath there. 39 On the following day, since the task had now become urgent, Judas and his men went to gather up the bodies of the slain and bury them with their kinsmen in their ancestral tombs. 40 But under the tunic of each of the dead they found amulets sacred to the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear. So it was clear to all that this was why these men had been slain. 41 They all therefore praised the ways of the Lord, the just judge who brings to light the things that are hidden. 42 Turning to supplication, they prayed that the sinful deed might be fully blotted out. The noble Judas warned the soldiers to keep themselves free from sin, for they had seen with their own eyes what had happened because of the sin of those who had fallen. 43 He then took up a collection among all his soldiers, amounting to two thousand silver drachmas, which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for an expiatory sacrifice. In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; 44 for if he were not expecting the fallen to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. 45 But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. 46 Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin.
Let’s see, the men are dead and vs. 44 say’s prayers for the dead are useless and foolish if there is no resurection. Judas and his men make supplication and collect money for the necessary Temple Sacrifice and it is said to be pious and good. If these guys are dead then Judas obviously has some expectation of God forgiving them, and since they are dead it can only come in the afterlife. Now, to me, the Ressurection spoken of sounds like going to Heaven and Judas has an expectation that they can go to Heaven. God must be forgiving them in the afterlife. Seems simple to me. Merriam-Webster.com
Main Entry: am·u·let
Pronunciation: 'am-y&-l&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin amuletum
: a charm (as an ornament) often inscribed with a magic incantation or symbol to protect the wearer against evil (as disease or witchcraft) or to aid him Main Entry: ex·pi·ate Pronunciation: 'ek-spE-"At
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -at·ed; -at·ing
Etymology: Latin *expiatus, *past participle of *expiare *to atone for, from *ex- + piare *to atone for, appease, from *pius *faithful, pious
transitive senses
1 obsolete : to put an end to
2 a : to extinguish the guilt incurred by b : to make amends for <permission to expiate their offences by their assiduous labours – Francis Bacon>
intransitive senses : to make expiation
the soldiers were were medals, I guess, to protect them. To my knowledge, not mortal sin. Just my humble thoughts. By the way Second Maccabees was taken out of the Jewish Cannon because it is friendly to Rome, something I have read.

Why does 2 Maccabees say the soldiers died because they were wearing amulets? If they died for worshipping idols, idolatry, wouldn’t it say that? The Holy Spirit inspired these words. Maybe I’m wrong, but if the soldiers were damned Judas wouldn’t have done what he did and maybe the verse would say the soldiers died for worshipping idols. Am I wrong? The verse doesn’t use the word purgatory but Churchmouse has said that Judas was looking toward the ressurection. Where were these men while waiting for Christ? Heaven? Hell? Sheol?

Mothers Boy:
Why does 2 Maccabees say the soldiers died because they were wearing amulets? If they died for worshipping idols, idolatry, wouldn’t it say that? The Holy Spirit inspired these words. Maybe I’m wrong, but if the soldiers were damned Judas wouldn’t have done what he did and maybe the verse would say the soldiers died for worshipping idols. Am I wrong?
The NAB states that they were wearing “…amulets sacred to the idols of Jamnia.” You’re right, I was incorrectly using the word “idol.” Yet, the action of wearing the amulets shows the same sin which is idolatry. The verse does imply that the soldiers died for this sin (So it was clear to all that this was why these men had been slain).
The verse doesn’t use the word purgatory but Churchmouse has said that Judas was looking toward the ressurection. Where were these men while waiting for Christ? Heaven? Hell? Sheol?
Personally, judging by the sin, these men went to the hell of the damned which is within Sheol. The reason why I use this term is to make it distinct from the other part of Sheol “Abraham’s bosom” or as the Church likes to say “the limbo of the fathers.” The righteous would wait there until Christ provided the way. There was nothing purgatorial about the Bosom, but those who went there resided in comfort (Lk. 16:25).

Peace,
CM

Mothers Boy:
Everyone is talking 2 Maccabees, let’s see the whole passage in context.
Let’s see, the men are dead and vs. 44 say’s prayers for the dead are useless and foolish if there is no resurection. Judas and his men make supplication and collect money for the necessary Temple Sacrifice and it is said to be pious and good. If these guys are dead then Judas obviously has some expectation of God forgiving them, and since they are dead it can only come in the afterlife. Now, to me, the Ressurection spoken of sounds like going to Heaven and Judas has an expectation that they can go to Heaven. God must be forgiving them in the afterlife. Seems simple to me.
Well, not that simple. The most you can get out of the context is that “Judas” assumes that he can pray some idolators out of hell, considering that the sin in question is idolatry, regardless of how they viewed the amulets. The mere fact that they would wear “amulets sacred to the idols of Jamnia” displays a trust in idols and thus, these men were slain because of it (vs.40).
Merriam-Webster.com the soldiers were were medals, I guess, to protect them. To my knowledge, not mortal sin. Just my humble thoughts. By the way Second Maccabees was taken out of the Jewish Cannon because it is friendly to Rome, something I have read.
And doesn’t that strike you as a bit superstitious, perhaps? Trusting in the power of an idolic amulet rather than trusting in God? No, 2 Maccabees was rejected by Jerome. I don’t think you would say that he rejected it because it was friendly to Rome 😉 .

Peace,
CM

Ric cites the Lazarus and Abraham story as a refutation of purgatory. Actually, I’ve heard it used to support the doctrine as follows: Those in hell have no ability or interest in communicating with those in heaven or in saving the living from a hellish fate. The rich man therefore was in purgatory.

If anyone wants to read a very traditional and thorough discussion of purgatory, I recommend Martin Jugie’s Purgatory and the means to avoid it. It’s written in 1940’s style, but I found it very enlightening and comforting after the death of my father.

40.png
toutestgrace:
Ric cites the Lazarus and Abraham story as a refutation of purgatory. Actually, I’ve heard it used to support the doctrine as follows: Those in hell have no ability or interest in communicating with those in heaven or in saving the living from a hellish fate. The rich man therefore was in purgatory.
I’m not Ric, but I believe I can answer this one. The Church teaches that Dives (the rich man) went to the hell of the damned. I heard the same argument from some of the Catholic apologists on the web, but it differs from more official Catholic sources. On the EWTN site, quoting JPII it states:
Redemption nevertheless remains an offer of salvation which it is up to people to accept freely. This is why they will all be judged “by what they [have done]” (Rv 20:13). By using images, the New Testament presents the place destined for evildoers as a fiery furnace, where people will “weep and gnash their teeth” (Mt 13:42; cf. 25:30, 41), or like Gehenna with its “unquenchable fire” (Mk 9:43). ***All this is narrated in the parable of the rich man, which explains that hell is a place of eternal suffering, with no possibility of return, nor of the alleviation of pain *** (cf. Lk. 16:19-3 1). From Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory
Peace,
CM

Churchmouse,

Thanks for the chat. When we a conversation to insults, which you have done, then it is time for me to take a walk.

May our wonderful Lord be with you and fill you with His Grace and Love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back