Visions of Purgatory

• Thread starter Thread starter convertmjh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Continued)

“Give,Oh Lord,rest to Thy servant Theodosius,that rest Thou hast prepared for Thy saints…I love him,therefore will I follow him to the land of the living;I will not leave him till by my prayers and lamentations he shall be admitted unto the holy mount of the Lord,to which his deserts call him.”
Ambrose,De obitu Theodosii,PL 16:1397(A.D. 395),in CE,577

“Other husbands scatter on the graves of their wives violets, roses, lilies, and purple flowers; and assuage the grief of their hearts by fulfilling this tender duty. Our dear Pammachius also waters the holy ashes and the revered bones of Paulina, but it is with the balm of almsgiving.”
Jerome,To Pammachius,Epistle 66:5(A.D. 397),in NPNF2,VI:136

“Weep for the unbelievers; weep for those who differ in nowise from them, those who depart hence without the illumination, without the seal! they indeed deserve our wailing, they deserve our groans; they are outside the Palace, with the culprits, with the condemned: for, “Verily I say unto you, Except a man be born of water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of Heaven.” Mourn for those who have died in wealth, and did not from their wealth think of any solace for their soul, who had power to wash away their sins and would not. Let us all weep for these in private and in public, but with propriety, with gravity, not so as to make exhibitions of ourselves; let us weep for these, not one day, or two, but all our life. Such tears spring not from senseless passion, but from true affection. The other sort are of senseless passion. For this cause they are quickly quenched, whereas if they spring from the fear of God, they always abide with us. Let us weep for these; let us assist them according to our power; let us think of some assistance for them, small though it be, yet still let us assist them. How and in what way? By praying and entreating others to make prayers for them, by continually giving to the poor on their behalf.”
John Chrysostom,Homilies on Phillipians,3(ante A.D. 404),in NPNF1,XIII:197

“If the baptized person fufils the obligations demanded of a Christian,he does well. If he does not–provided he keeps the faith,without which he would perish forever–no matter in what sin or impurity remains,he will be saved,as it were,by fire; as one who has built on the foundation,which is Christ,not Gold,silver, and precious stones,but wood, hay straw,that is, not just and chasted works but wicked and unchaste works.”
Augustine,Faith and Works,1:1(A.D. 413),in ACW,48:7

“Now on what ground does this person pray that he may not be 'rebuked in indignation, nor chastened in hot displeasure”? (He speaks) as if he would say unto God, ‘Since the things which I already suffer are many in number, I pray Thee let them suffice;’ and he begins to enumerate them, by way of satisfying God; offering what he suffers now, that he may not have to suffer worse evils hereafter."
Augustine,Exposition of the Psalms,38(37):3(A.D. 418),in NPNF1,VIII:103

"And it is not impossible that something of the same kind may take place even after this life. It is a matter that may be inquired into, and either ascertained or left doubtful, whether some believers shall pass through a kind of purgatorial fire, and in proportion as they have loved with more or less devotion the goods that perish, be less or more quickly delivered from it. This cannot, however, be the case of any of those of whom it is said, that they ‘shall not inherit the kingdom of God,’ unless after suitable repentance their sins be forgiven them. When I say ‘suitable,’ I mean that they are not to be unfruitful in almsgiving; for Holy Scripture lays so much stress on this virtue, that our Lord tells us beforehand, that He will ascribe no merit to those on His right hand but that they abound in it, and no defect to those on His left hand but their want of it, when He shall say to the former, “Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom,” and to the latter, ‘Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire.’ "
Augustine,Enchiridion,69(A.D. 421),in NPNF1,III:260

(Continued)

(Continued)

" During the time, moreover, which intervenes between a man’s death and the final resurrection, the soul dwells in a hidden retreat, where it enjoys rest or suffers affliction just in proportion to the merit it has earned by the life which it led on earth."
Augustine,Enchiridion,1099(A.D. 421),in NPNF1,III:272

“For our part, we recognize that even in this life some punishments are purgatorial,–not, indeed, to those whose life is none the better, but rather the worse for them, but to those who are constrained by them to amend their life. All other punishments, whether temporal or eternal, inflicted as they are on every one by divine providence, are sent either on account of past sins, or of sins presently allowed in the life, or to exercise and reveal a man’s graces. They may be inflicted by the instrumentality of bad men and angels as well as of the good. For even if any one suffers some hurt through another’s wickedness or mistake, the man indeed sins whose ignorance or injustice does the harm; but God, who by His just though hidden judgment permits it to be done, sins not. But temporary punishments are suffered by some in this life only, by others after death, by others both now and then; but all of them before that last and strictest judgment. But of those who suffer temporary punishments after death, all are not doomed to those everlasting pains which are to follow that judgment; for to some, as we have already said, what is not remitted in this world is remitted in the next, that is, they are not punished with the eternal punishment.of the world to come.”
Augustine,City of God,21:13(A.D. 426),in NPNF1,II:464

"But since she has this certainty regarding no man, she prays for all her enemies who yet live in this world; and yet she is not heard in behalf of all. But she is heard in the case of those only who, though they oppose the Church, are yet predestinated to become her sons through her intercession. But if any retain an impenitent heart until death, and are not converted from enemies into sons, does the Church continue to pray for them, for the spirits, i.e., of such persons deceased? And why does she cease to pray for them, unless because the man who was not translated into Christ’s kingdom while he was in the body, is now judged to be of Satan’s following? It is then, I say, the same reason which prevents the Church at any time from praying for the wicked angels, which prevents her from praying hereafter for those men who are to be punished in eternal fire; and this also is the reason why, though she prays even for the wicked so long as they live, she yet does not even in this world pray for the unbelieving and godless who are dead. For some of the dead, indeed, the prayer of the Church or of pious individuals is heard; but it is for those who, having been regenerated in Christ, did not spend their life so wickedly that they can be judged unworthy of such compassion, nor so well that they can be considered to have no need of it. As also, after the resurrection, there will be some of the dead to whom, after they have endured the pains proper to the spirits of the dead, mercy shall be accorded, and acquittal from the punishment of the eternal fire. For were there not some whose sins, though not remitted in this life, shall be remitted in that which is to come, it could not be truly said, “They shall not be forgiven, neither in this world, neither in that which is to come.’ But when the Judge of quick and dead has said, ‘Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world,’ and to those on the other side, ‘Depart from me, ye cursed, into the eternal fire, which is prepared for the devil and his angels,’ and ‘These shall go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life,’ it were excessively presumptuous to say that the punishment of any of those whom God has said shall go away into eternal punishment shall not be eternal, and so bring either despair or doubt upon the corresponding promise of life eternal.”
Augustine,City of God,21:24(A.D. 426),in NPNF1,II:470

(Continue)

(Continued)

“If we neither give thanks to God in tribulations nor redeem our own sins by good works,we shall have to remain in that purgatorian fire as long as it takes for those above-mentioned lesser sins to be consumed like wood and straw and hay.”
Ceasar of Arles,Sermon 179(104):2(A.D. 542),in JUR,III:283

“Each one will be presented to the Judge exactly as he was when he departed this life. Yet, there must be a cleansing fire before judgement,because of some minor faults that may remain to be purged away. Does not Christ,the Truth,say that if anyone blasphemes against the Holy Spirit he shall not be forgiven ‘either in this world or in the world to come’(Mt. 12:32)? From this statement we learn that some sins can be forgiven in this world and some in the world to come. For, if forgiveness is refused for a particular sin, we conclude logically that it is granted for others. This must apply, as I said, to slight transgressions.”
Gregory the Great[regn. A.D. 590-604],Dialogues,4:39(A.D. 594),in FC,39:248

undefined
The best “understanding” of purgatory that I found Do we really think our personalities and attachments will be automatically changed after we die. I see it as a state where we have a lonnng talk with God about how we’ve lived our lives. This was from a former Catholic turned evangelical minister. He didn’t want to say purgatory,but that’s what it was.

40.png
Donmar35:
The best “understanding” of purgatory that I found Do we really think our personalities and attachments will be automatically changed after we die. I see it as a state where we have a lonnng talk with God about how we’ve lived our lives. This was from a former Catholic turned evangelical minister. He didn’t want to say purgatory,but that’s what it was.
Yes. Even though we are saved, we are not necessarily perfected in this life.

I don’t think that anyone can be convinced of purgatory if they really don’t want to be convinced.

I’ve heard it said also that anyone in purgatory is free to walk right into heaven at any time. In the end though, most of us will elect to clean ourselves up before entering the banquet hall.

JimG

Mothers Boy:
Just a question from a novice, if there were only Heaven or Hell, why would the Jewish people pray for the dead, as is found in Maccabees?
Hi Mother’s boy. I made this point earlier myself. The easy answer for a Protestant is to say they do not believe Maccabees to be canonical (though they often are unaware why early protestant leaders removed it).

Even after saying this, however, you are still left with the fact that Maccabees, canonical or not, points to a belief on the part of God’s chosen people that it was beneficial to pray for the dead. As you said yourself, if they’re in hell, then our prayers won’t do much good. If they’re in Heaven they don’t need our prayers and we’d be better off asking them to pray for us!

Ric I wonder what Jesus meant when he said about a man being thrown into prison, and not being released from there untill we pay the last farthing ?
Jesus spoke in parables, because he was speaking in a way that all could understand, I believe in us needing our sins purged.
Jesus said that he would destroy the temple and build it up in 3 days, those peope didn’t have a clue what he was talking about, because it took 40 years to build the temple.
We have the benefit of time to know that Jesus was talking about his own body, I’m sure Jesus was talking about a place to rid ourselves of sin, and although sins are forgiven we may still have to pay for the sins we comitted.

1Cor 3:15
But if someone’s work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire
Much has been made of this passage. Ric has said the person is saved, like jumping out of a wood house. Ric, forgive me if I’m misqioting you I think I’m close though. Anyhow the word “through” intrigued me. The online Merriam dictionary, merriam-webster.com, defines “through” as entering one side of something and leaving the otherside usually the opposite. It also gave the meaning as “by means of”. This caught me because if you substitute “by means of” in that passage it seems to make the point. Either definition seems to say to me that the person is also touching the fire. Just a thought. :hmmm:

40.png
Ric:
Clement of Rome always refers to deceased Christians being in Heaven. He repeatedly mentions the concept, with no reference to purgatory. It is true that the Roman Catholic church believes that some Christians don’t have to go to purgatory, but Clement had no concept of purgatory.
Good grief, Ric. Not saying something does not at all equate to a denial of the idea. There are so few manuscripts from that time that it is a bit assuming of us to read more into a man’s heart than what is there.

peace

40.png
Ric:
You really need to understand what is being said in this passage from Scripture. Those Christians whose works stand the test of fire (1 Peter 1:7) will be rewarded (Matthew 25:14-30; Luke 19:11-27). Those whose works are consumed by the fire will themselves escape the flames (as if they were jumping out of the burning wooden structure they had built) and be saved, but without any works of praise to present to Christ. They are not burned - only their works.
But only as through fire refers back to the person in the independent clause in that sentence. To assume otherwise is to disobey the rules of grammar. Willfully disobeying the rules of grammar constitutes willfully changing the meaning of scripture and leading yourself and others astray.

You want it to refer to works, but that is not how the sentence reads according to standard grammar. If you ignore Sacred Tradition which you do not accept, and ignore the rules of grammar, which you do here, what basis can you have for any beliefs but what you interpret from your own life experiences? Please consider that you are reading your own will from scripture, rather than what scripture states.

God bless and I hope you find your way to Him

peace

Here is an OT qoute that shows that even after God forgives sins the punishment must be undergone. 2 Sam. 12:13-14 "Then David said to Nathan, ‘I have sinned against the Lord.’ Nathan answered David: ‘The Lord on his part has forgiven your sin; you shall not die. But since you have utterly spurned the Lord by this deed, the child born to you must surely die.’ "

Jesus came to fulfill the law not to change it.

This can be compared to a little boy braking the neighbor’s window. Even if he is forgiven, he will usually have to pay to restore the window.

40.png
Ric:
The dogma of purgatory is rooted very well in Roman Catholicism, but I can also site many of the Church fathers whom believed in no such thing as purgatory (one example given below from Clement of Rome).

I really thank you for your effort in showing me where purgatory might be possiable, but I just can’t fine it in God’s Word. If it were ever proven to me from God’s Word I would join the Roman Catholic church in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the prayer, I need it always! And you too will be in my prayers!

God Bless!
Hello ! RIC,
You saying find PURGATORY in the Bible is like saying, “find Christmas in the Bible” it just aint there, does that mean we should stop celebrating Christmas ?
The statement “it is a wholesome thought to pray for the dead that they might be loosed from their sins” well that explains that bit to me.
Why pray for the dead if they are in Heaven ? those in Heaven have no sin, so they don’t need our prayers.
Anyway please put Christ back into Christmas, “happy holidays my foot” if anyone wishes me happy holidays, I WILL always reply with Happy Christmas, as Father Peter Mary Rookey said on his many visits to Ireland, that those that don’t have Christ in there lives are like a duck flying up side down, " They quack up" 😉

God Bless Stephen

40.png
Ric:
…The Trinity is clearly spelled out in the Scriptures even thou the actual word “Trinity” is not written on the pages. Remember is a past post in this thread I stated that purgatory is not found in the Bible and not even a hint? The concept of purgatory can not even be gleaned from the pages of Scripture - it must be added to Scripture by mere man made Traditions and other means that is not of God.
I presume that when you say added to scripture by “mere man” you may be referring to the account in Maccabees. Evangelical Christians (among others) reject the Maccabees account and other books the early Christian fathers included in the canon (the same Christian fathers that set the canon which comprises all of the gospels, letters, etc. of the New Testament). We will never be able to convince you otherwise until you realize that these books are indeed canonical.

We have nothing to fear of regarding Purgatory. If anything, why wouldn’t we want to pray for those who have died who may be suffering in such a state.

Many Christians miss out on the opportunity to pray for those who are suffering in Purgatory. I hope someday Ric that you will join your fellow Catholic Christians and pray for those who are suffering in Purgatory.

Hello everyone,

As I read through this post, I see the Scripture verses Catholics claim “imply” purgatory, I see the oft-quoted 2 Maccabees 12:42-43 of which I still don’t see any reference to purgatory, and I see the constant rationalizing that we need a final cleansing prior to entering the presence of God. I see the reasoning why there must be a purgatory, but nothing to really prove it’s existence. Isn’t there anything concrete to base this belief on?

Please, no “well, the Trinity isn’t explicitly mentioned either” arguments. The Trinity is a logical extension of Scripture, purgatory is not and cannot be compared to it.

Peace,
CM

40.png
Churchmouse:
Hello everyone,

As I read through this post, I see the Scripture verses Catholics claim “imply” purgatory, I see the oft-quoted 2 Maccabees 12:42-43 of which I still don’t see any reference to purgatory, and I see the constant rationalizing that we need a final cleansing prior to entering the presence of God. I see the reasoning why there must be a purgatory, but nothing to really prove it’s existence. Isn’t there anything concrete to base this belief on?

Please, no “well, the Trinity isn’t explicitly mentioned either” arguments. The Trinity is a logical extension of Scripture, purgatory is not and cannot be compared to it.

Peace,
CM
how are you churchmouse, just out of curiousity, are you a catholic. The reason I ask is that you say that 2 Macc 12 doesn’t prove a third state after death (although prayer for the dead clearly indicates one) implying that you accept this book as canonical. I’m glad you are honest enough to point that there at least has to be a third state in theory. There are many things that aren’t concrete in the bible, which all christians are obliged to believe. Although there are implicit passages in scripture supporting purgatory, there are christian writings from the beginning and throughout the early centuries which explicitly show the doctrine to be true. I’m going to flip the question and ask you to show me anywhere in scripture or the early christian writings that explicitly show it can not be true.

Ø The term Purgatory was created by the Catholic Church. The word is not found in the Bible; however, the process of purification is found in the Bible.
Ø People sometimes have trouble with the concept of purgatory, but they also do not submit to the authority of the Church. Once one has rejected the truth of Matthew 16:16-18, then personal interpretations become the norm. That is why there are 30,000 protestant denominations all professing slightly different interpretations of Scripture…they cannot all be right. Christ gave the Church authority for a reason.

Ø Many Christians object to this doctrine claiming it is contrary to Jesus’ completed work on the cross. The Catholic Church teaches that Jesus’ work is indeed complete. Additionally, Purgatory is not to be thought of as a place to receive a second chance at salvation. If a person dies in the state of Grace, they are assured of their salvation, nothing can remove Jesus’ completed work on the cross. However, the Bible teaches us we must suffer with Christ in order to share in His glory, as the following verses demonstrates:

** **Romans 8:15-17

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the spirit of sonship. When we cry, “Abba! Father!” it is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

Ø We know that nothing unclean can enter heaven, as demonstrated by the following verse:

Revelation 21:27

But nothing unclean shall enter it, nor any one who practices abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in theLamb’s book of life.

Ø We know we must stand before Jesus during Judgment Day, as demonstrated by the following verse:

*2 Corinthians 5:10 *

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive good or evil, according to what he has done in the body.
Ø All wrongdoing is sin, yet not all sins will lead us to spiritual death (see the verses below). Sins that are not mortal and are not repented at the time of death, must be purged (as required by *Revelation *21:27 above), prior to entering heaven.

• 1 John 5:16-17*
  • If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.*
  • Code:
Matthew 12:31-32

Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

• Code:
                                                                                               *
Ø Sin against the Holy Spirit removes the very foundation for repentance. It is not a specific sin; rather it is an attitude of the mind. The verses sighted above teach that there is an age to come in which “some” sins can be forgiven or purged. What is that age? Additionally, these verses also imply that there are “deadly” sins that will not be forgiven (blasphemy against the Spirit).

Ø

Ø The Bible speaks of a final purifying process as demonstrated in the following verses:

1 Corinthians 3:13-15

…each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss
*, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.***

****** Note above “as through fire…”***
  • Code:
Malachi 3:2-3

But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? "For he is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, till they present right offerings to the LORD.

1 Peter 1:7

• Code:
               ... so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold which though perishable is tested by fire, may redound to praise   and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.*
Ø We know that the Bible advises us to pray for dead (see the verses below). Certainly, souls in heaven do not require our prayers. Where are the souls that require post death prayer? Certainly the prayers for the dead cannot be for the Souls in Hell, therefore, a third place must exist, at least temporarily (Purgatory).
  • Code:
2 Maccabees 12:44-45**

For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.
  • Code:
Ø Scripture testifies that God’s kindness is requested for the dead, as in the following verse:

Sirach 7:33****

Give graciously to all the living, and withhold not kindness from the dead.

CCC 1030.

All who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

CCC 1031****.************

"The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.[Cf. Council of Florence (1439): DS 1304; Council of Trent (1563): DS 1820; (1547): 1580; see also Benedict XII, Benedictus Deus (1336): DS 1000.] The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:[Cf. [1 Cor 3:15](javascript:decide(‘1Cor 3:15 RSV - If any man’s work is burned up, he - Bible Gateway’)) ; [1 Pet 1:7](javascript:decide(‘1Pet 1:7 RSV - so that the genuineness of your faith, - Bible Gateway’)) .] As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.[St. Gregory the Great, Dial. 4, 39: PL 77, 396; cf. [Mt 12:31](javascript:decide(‘Mt 12:31 RSV - Therefore I tell you, every sin and - Bible Gateway’)) .] "****

CCC 1032****. ****

**"This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture: 'Therefore Judas Maccabeus made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.'[2 Macc 12:46](javascript:decide(‘2Macc 12:46 RSV - - Bible Gateway’)) .] From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God.[Cf. Council of Lyons II (1274): DS 856.] The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead: Let us help and commemorate them. If Job’s sons were purified by their father’s sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.[St. John Chrysostom, Hom. in 1 Cor. 41, 5: PG 61, 361; cf. [Job 1:5](javascript:decide(‘Job 1:5 RSV - And when the days of the feast had run - Bible Gateway’)) .]"

Summary
When we are in Christ, nothing can separate us from His love (see *Romans *8:39). We are called to suffer with Him and to carry our cross along side Him. All souls that fall short of the glory of Jesus during this life, must pass through purification–though their salvation is assured–since nothing unclean will be allowed into heaven.

Note: I had created this explanation for a Catechism class I taught.**

40.png
Churchmouse:
Hello everyone,

Peace,
CM
Bingo!

And to add to your post, the 2 Maccabees passage that is used to “prove” purgatory is about idolatry and not “purgatory”. (not to mention that 2 Maccabees is not Scripture)

Okay–so when the early councils and synods chose what was official Canon of Scripture and included Maccabees (and the six others), they were wrong?

If they were wrong, then how do we know that the early Church got anything right?

Did the Holy Spirit inspire the writing of the books in the Bible, just to turn around and go on vacation when it was time to choose which books belonged in the official Canon?

So, the early Church got it right about the 27 books in the NT Canon, but it was wrong about the 46 books in OT Canon? So again, how can we trust anything the early Church taught if they could not even get the Canon of Scripture right?

Like it or not, the Trinity is NOT directly stated in Scripture, it is implied through OT and NT writings…yet in today’s world no-one would pull that out of Scripture if the early Church had not set it in firm stone. Likewise, purgatory is not directly stated in Scripture, it is implied in OT and NT writings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back