What ACB’s confirmation could mean for Roe v Wade

• Thread starter Thread starter Dovekin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of interest to me, at least, our former bishop Johnston, now bishop of Kansas City, Mo. issued a letter to the Catholics in his diocese telling them that they should not vote for an abortion-supporting candidate. Needless to say, he drew a lot of flack for that.
I thought that the church is not allowed to directly engage in politics, lest it loses its tax-exempt status.

I thought that the church is not allowed to directly engage in politics, lest it loses its tax-exempt status.
I think many realize that saving lives and saving souls is more important than tax exempt status.

It’s best not to sacrifice principle for profit.

issued a letter to the Catholics in his diocese telling them that they should not vote for an abortion-supporting candidate.
I hope it was during the primaries when there was a real anti-abortion candidate on the ballot.

Needless to say, he drew a lot of flack for that.
One of the questions Trump was asked last week was what measures he would take to save the life of the mother in case it was at risk. He had no real meaningful answer.

Last edited:
Of interest to me, at least, our former bishop Johnston, now bishop of Kansas City, Mo. issued a letter to the Catholics in his diocese telling them that they should not vote for an abortion-supporting candidate. Needless to say, he drew a lot of flack for that.
Our priests are doing this same thing during their homilies recently. No names are mentioned, no parties are mentioned. There is really no mention of politics outside of the word “vote”. They use the USCCB guide as a reference. They do not tell us who to vote for, they just say we must vote for the dignity of human life.

I’m haven’t heard of or seen any public push back from the parishioners, but some may have complained privately.

Same here. Our bishop put out a statement without mentioning any names but saying as Catholics we must vote pro-life and that abortion is the pre-eminent issue and this morning in our priests homily he also did not mention any names but he made a pretty strong point not to follow or vote for someone who is pro-abortion and Catholic in name only.

Last edited:
Our priest’s homily today was a bit stronger, but still no names or parties mentioned except Planned Parenthood.

what measures he would take to save the life of the mother in case it was at risk. He had no real meaningful answer.
It’s a medical question. What would your answer have been within ten seconds?

He didn’t endorse any political candidate in his letter. He simply reminded Catholics of the truth about Church teaching. While I’m sure Democrats would like to prevent churchmen from doing that and possibly will soon, right now it’s still possible for bishops to do that without going to prison.

Same here. Our bishop put out a statement without mentioning any names but saying as Catholics we must vote pro-life and that abortion is the pre-eminent issue and this morning in our priests homily he also did not mention any names but he made a pretty strong point not to follow or vote for someone who is pro-abortion and Catholic in name only.
It’s about time.

Not by name. But I think that you guys are smart enough to be able to read between the lines.
It’s not hard to know who the abortion supporting candidates are. Except for two at most, that would be anybody with a “D” after his/her name. I think Lipinski was defeated by his own party for being prolife, so I guess there’s only one ostensibly prolife Democrat left.

So it IS an interference with politics, which could cost them the loss of tax exempt status.
the rule has been suspended, not currently enforceable, that will change like the Mexico City policy will if Biden gets in.

the rule has been suspended, not currently enforceable, that will change like the Mexico City policy will if Biden gets in.
I did not know that. Do you have a link to show the new rule?

It’s simply down to the Church stating their ages old position on the topic and there may be some good meaning folks who don’t care to be involved with the taking of lives of many innocents with their votes.

Are people really against free speech? Would one say this about some other denominations just stating their views?

If all Catholics followed the Church position, it would be a big blow to big abortion in the US.

It’s simply down to the Church stating their ages old position on the topic and there may be some good meaning folks who don’t care to be involved with the taking of lives of many innocents with their votes.

Are people really against free speech? Would one say this about some other denominations just stating their views?
No, not at all. They should be free to express their opinion, just like everyone else. But then they should be taxed, just like everyone else.

We have laws that are among the worse, along with China and North Korea, give me a break! The progressive agenda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back