K
Katie1723
Guest
Tonight I am starting “The Memory Keepers Daughter”
kathy
kathy
“Hi, I’m Jesus, gosh, I just killed someone by accident, meet my brothers and oh, by the way, I’m not sure if I’m divine in nature!”What was the problem?
“Hi, I’m Jesus, gosh, I just killed someone by accident, meet my brothers and oh, by the way, I’m not sure if I’m divine in nature!”
I get enough of that from Prots everywhere.
I have read part of Christ the Lord, Out of Egypt by Anne Rice, though I did not finish it, I may go back to it. But in its defense, the part about the accidental death was taken from apocryphal stories about Jesus’ childhood, and he does bring the child back to life and it is explained in the book that His “brothers” are Joseph’s children from a previous marriage, not Mary’s children. This is also from the non-canonical (though not heretical) sources like the Proto-Evangelium of James, from which several small “t” traditions come, such as the names of Mary’s parents and that Joseph was much older than Mary.“Hi, I’m Jesus, gosh, I just killed someone by accident, meet my brothers and oh, by the way, I’m not sure if I’m divine in nature!”
I get enough of that from Prots everywhere.
Dean Koontz is a convert to Catholicism. He converted while he was in college.Tonight I finished Odd Hours, by Dean Koontz. It’s the fourth book in the Odd Thomas series, which I now consider to be the cleanest work Koontz has ever done. Violence is a theme, but there’s very little language and sexuality. His views about the sanctity of life shine through. He’s also very respectful of Catholics, even leading me to believe that he might be one himself. I wasn’t thoroughly impressed with Book 4, but I’d recommend the series as a whole.
Aha! After reading the Odd series, I am hardly surprised. Although that raises the question, why are some of his books so sexually and violently graphic? He seemd to go out of his way not to do this with Odd Thomas, but a look into some of his earlier works, even fairly recent, will make a good Catholic cringe.Dean Koontz is a convert to Catholicism. He converted while he was in college.
insightscoop.typepad.com/2004/2007/03/dean_koontz_cat.html
Oh yes, I read it many years ago and it was an excellent retelling of the life and visions of St. Bernadette of Lourdes in novelized form. The author, Franz Werfel was actually Jewish and had been given refuge in Lourdes while escaping the Nazis during WWII, which is what inspired him to write the book. I think I read that in the foreward to the novel.With little kids I am so uout of touch with current books. My family owned a book store at one time. I mostly read juvinile fiction lately, got some free time to go to the library by myself and picked up the Song Of Bernadette. To read in the hspital after I have my baby.
Any one else read this?
He IS Catholic—a convert, I think.Tonight I finished Odd Hours, by Dean Koontz. It’s the fourth book in the Odd Thomas series, which I now consider to be the cleanest work Koontz has ever done. Violence is a theme, but there’s very little language and sexuality. His views about the sanctity of life shine through. He’s also very respectful of Catholics, even leading me to believe that he might be one himself. I wasn’t thoroughly impressed with Book 4, but I’d recommend the series as a whole.
Hey, Cormac McCarthy is actually Catholic. But his work isn’t so.Currently, I am beginning Scott Hahn’s “Reasons To Believe.” Fiction wise on a second reading of Don Delillo’s “Names.”
For Catholic apologetics I consider Alan Schreck’s “Catholic and Christian” the best I have come across - simple and comprehensive. Paul Johnson’s “The Quest For God” is worthwhile, too.
I read a lot of non-Catholic fiction. Some of the best in the last few years are Cormac McCarthy’s Texas/Mexico Triliogy (“All The Pretty Horses,” etc.) Don Delillo’s “Underworld,” and Robert Penn Warren’s “All The King’s Men.”
John
Cormac McCarthy is my favorite contemporary author. I thought his first two books of the Texas/Mexico trilogy, “All The Pretty Horses” and “The Crossing” were excellent reads. The third “Cities of The Plain” or something like that was so-so. He definitely is a major force in literature at this time.Hey, Cormac McCarthy is actually Catholic. But his work isn’t so.