What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading a later one with Mary Russell. The one where she comes into an inheritance. I liked the earlier stories better. This one is a bit heavy on the feminism. Still a good story and I enjoy it.
 
I am reading a later one with Mary Russell. The one where she comes into an inheritance. I liked the earlier stories better. This one is a bit heavy on the feminism. Still a good story and I enjoy it.
It’s been a while, and I’ve gotten them jumbled in my head. I remember A Letter of Mary was somewhat feministic, but I didn’t feel it overshadowed the excitement of the story. I also LOVED the ending!
 
Offhand, the only two American Catholic authors I have read are Flannery O’Connor and Walker Percy. The former with her short stories was the best at that game. The latter I thought was overrrated including his much ballyhooed “Moviegoer.” Miss O’Conner had the good and evil dichotomy down pat. What a treasure she is.

John
I just finished reading O’Connor’s “Everlasting Chill” in this Collective Works Volume I found in the library. She was amazing! It’s such a shame she died at the age of 39, as she did. It has a lot of really interesting essays and letters in it, too.

BTW- The only problem I have with the Border trilogy is the lack of quotation marks. It drove me insane… but I really like the style.
 
NO SPOILERS FOR FOREVER ODD!!!

IZ STILL REEDING IT!!!

K u may nao return to ur regular posting. 😃
 
An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine by Cardinal John Henry Newman

JohnSix68
Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2008
 
I’m finishing up The United States of Arugula. The subtitle is "the sun-dried, cold-pressed, dark-roasted, extra-virgin story of the American Food Revolution. It is/was pretty good.

I have several books to read next. One is called Stop Dressing your Six-Year-Old like a Skankl. It sounds as if it has potential to be good and insightful but also to be done very poorly.

I’m also making my way through several cookbooks but that’s not reading word per word. Just pandering to my gluttony. 😃
 
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (I never get sick of re-reading these!)
A Biblical Defense of Catholicism by Dave Armstrong

I’m rarely ever just reading one book at a time. Usually it’s one regular fiction, one fantasy sci-fi, and one non-fiction, so I have something to read no matter what literary mood I’m in.
 
Rereading the ‘Hornblower’ series of books - fantastic, set in the British Navy during the Napoleonic wars. I got put onto them a few years ago when British tv did a great ‘Hornblower’ series. Got to love a guy in period uniform swoon
 
U.S. Army / Marine Counterinsurgency Field Manual,
by Generals David Petraeus and James Amos. Great, great book.
 
I’m finishing up The United States of Arugula. The subtitle is "the sun-dried, cold-pressed, dark-roasted, extra-virgin story of the American Food Revolution. It is/was pretty good.

I have several books to read next. One is called Stop Dressing your Six-Year-Old like a Skankl. It sounds as if it has potential to be good and insightful but also to be done very poorly.

I’m also making my way through several cookbooks but that’s not reading word per word. Just pandering to my gluttony. 😃
Amen. I teach high school and still can’t believe how parents can justify allowing their daughters to dress the way many do. It’s shocking, actually.
 
Rereading the ‘Hornblower’ series of books - fantastic, set in the British Navy during the Napoleonic wars. I got put onto them a few years ago when British tv did a great ‘Hornblower’ series. Got to love a guy in period uniform swoon
I loved the Hornblower series that A&E did! Are the books even more exciting?
 
I loved the Hornblower series that A&E did! Are the books even more exciting?
You won’t be disappointed by them (CS Forrester is the author by the way). I think you get a bit more of an insight into Hornblower’s own character than you did with the series. More difficult to get into someone’s head on screen I think.

The series was way too short of course, but then that sort of period stuff must be pretty expensive to do.
 
You won’t be disappointed by them (CS Forrester is the author by the way). I think you get a bit more of an insight into Hornblower’s own character than you did with the series. More difficult to get into someone’s head on screen I think.

The series was way too short of course, but then that sort of period stuff must be pretty expensive to do.
Excellent! I will pick one up posthaste. I am always grateful when I discover a good piece of literature by watching the film first, because then there is so much left to uncover; whereas when one reads the novel and then sees the film, one is nearly always in for a disappointment.
 
Excellent! I will pick one up posthaste. I am always grateful when I discover a good piece of literature by watching the film first, because then there is so much left to uncover; whereas when one reads the novel and then sees the film, one is nearly always in for a disappointment.
True 🙂 Although I wouldn’t mind seeing the series again at all, even so - Ioan Gruffudd is just so gosh-darn cute :yup:

Although the series basically only covered the first book or so, I wouldn’t want to see him playing an older Hornblower.
 
Currently reading:

Lake of the Long Sun- Gene Wolfe
Summa Theologica- Thomas Aquinas
The Sparrow- Mary Doria Russel
All the Pretty Horses- Cormac McCarthy (I’ve read other stuff of his, but not whole of the Border Trilogy…)
A Good Man is Hard to Find- Flannery O’Connor

… just catching up on my summer reading.😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top