What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently reading:

Lake of the Long Sun- Gene Wolfe
Summa Theologica- Thomas Aquinas
The Sparrow- Mary Doria Russel
All the Pretty Horses- Cormac McCarthy (I’ve read other stuff of his, but not whole of the Border Trilogy…)
A Good Man is Hard to Find- Flannery O’Connor

… just catching up on my summer reading.😃
“All the Pretty Horses” is a wonderful read. The follow up in the Texas/Mexico trilogy “The Crossing” is also first rate. I read both books twice.

John
 
:crying:

I just finished reading Odd Hours! Possible spoilers, more like discussion and philosophy:

Here DK seems to be moving from the small particulars of his previous OT novels, and into something more sinister, more all-encompassing. At first, I thought, Whoa, here’s how to write a book about nothing at all, but then the pace and the action picked up.

This book did not disappoint, but it leaves me wondering if Odd will meet Snow, or what remains to be done with that strange, strange room in the first OT novel!

Millions of thumbs up! 👍
 
:crying:

I just finished reading Odd Hours! Possible spoilers, more like discussion and philosophy:

Here DK seems to be moving from the small particulars of his previous OT novels, and into something more sinister, more all-encompassing. At first, I thought, Whoa, here’s how to write a book about nothing at all, but then the pace and the action picked up.

This book did not disappoint, but it leaves me wondering if Odd will meet Snow, or what remains to be done with that strange, strange room in the first OT novel!

Millions of thumbs up! 👍
I have also wondered what was to become of that strange room in book 1. I have to admit I was disappointed at the end of Odd Hours, because I honestly expected that to be the last book. But of course, Koontz can’t be happy until he has reached an apocalyptic ending, which is obviously what we have in store!

Any ideas as to who the mystery woman is? She’s obviously not human. My first thoughts were an angel, or the Virgin Mary, but those don’t seem to fit either. I think the coyotes had to be demons.
 
MO SPOILERS—U NO LK KTHX!

I believe the coyotes were not demonic, but in some way possessed by some demonic force.

I do not believe the woman is supposed to be the Blessed Mother, because DK is far too respectful of the faith. Or maybe she is an apparition? At this point I have no idea, but her name IS familiar. Would it be cheating to go back and re-read the other OT books to find out? 😉
 
I believe the coyotes were not demonic, but in some way possessed by some demonic force.
Right, that’s what I meant.
I do not believe the woman is supposed to be the Blessed Mother, because DK is far too respectful of the faith. Or maybe she is an apparition? At this point I have no idea, but her name IS familiar. Would it be cheating to go back and re-read the other OT books to find out? 😉
Was her name in another book? My memory for names is terrible. It’s only been two weeks since I read Odd Hours, and already I’ve forgotten her name. No doubt she’s either an apparition or else the embodiment of some great thing, but I haven’t been able to solve the riddle. Whom would so many people want to kill, and what would be the “right” reason?
 
These are the books that I like so much:
Diary of St. Faustina, Story of a Soul by St. Therese, and still finishing The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis
The Thunder of Justice.

No man is an island.

Thoughts in solitude.
 
There’s been bits of give and take on this thread, but if you want to full out discuss a book (ie Odd Thomas), START A NEW THREAD!

😛
 
There’s been bits of give and take on this thread, but if you want to full out discuss a book (ie Odd Thomas), START A NEW THREAD!

😛
Didn’t realize four posts constituted a whole new thread. Forgive us, a thousand apologies, and may we never offend again, or else be shot at dawn.
 
“Hostage to the Devil” by Malachi Martin. It is probably the most scary book I have ever read.
 
There’s been bits of give and take on this thread, but if you want to full out discuss a book (ie Odd Thomas), START A NEW THREAD!

😛
If you do, PM me! 😃

Nao reading cheezy Gothic that seems like a stage play. Enter Suspect Number Two! Cue music!
 
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (I never get sick of re-reading these!)
A Biblical Defense of Catholicism by Dave Armstrong

I’m rarely ever just reading one book at a time. Usually it’s one regular fiction, one fantasy sci-fi, and one non-fiction, so I have something to read no matter what literary mood I’m in.
The Harry Potter books are definatly one of those books I can keep reading. I am actually rereading The Order of The Pheonix right now!!
 
I just finished the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. Amazing books. Right now, I’m just kinda flipping through my well read and loved Harry Potter books until I can find something new to devour.
If you are looking for something new to devour. I would suggest Enchantment by Orson Scott Card or The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Also Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight Series is amazing!!
 
Peter Kreeft - You Can Understand the Bible
Carla Van Raay - God’s Call Girl
 
I’m reading:
The Magic of Groundhog Day – fantastic book about the movie Groundhog Day and behavior change,
a Kate Wilhelm mystery Clear and Convincing Proof,
and Dr Gundry’s Diet Evolution which I heartily recommend to everybody.
 
Anyone read Michael O’Brien’s new book yet, “'Island of the World?”
 
I’m reading The Dark Tower, by Stephen King. It’s the 7th book in his Dark Tower series and honestly, I don’t know if I’ll be able to finish it.
 
The mere mention of the Odd series makes me scroll down immediately since I haven’t started reading it yet 😃

Currently reading “A Time to Kill” by John Grisham.

Try as I might, I find it difficult to relate to the lawyer protaganist…I think he is just too machiavellian for me. Maybe I’ll change my opinion after I’m finish reading it.
 
I’m currently reading Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts, and The Happy Man by Donald Hall.
 
Why not? Just curious.
The series started off very strong. The fourth book in the series, The Wizard and Glass was the best book. After that, the series started to get more and more bizarre. New story elements are introduced and not explained, the setting makes a dramatic change and things keep happening that just seem too implausible, even for a fantasy novel. It just seems sloppy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top