What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
just finished “the year of living biblically”

now reading “bananas: how the united fruit company shaped the world”

next is “the physical phenomena of mysticism”
 
“bananas: how the united fruit company shaped the world”

Is this for real?
 
I’m reading Eifelheim by Michael Flynn. It’s really excellent & he’s a Catholic, too!

Deep Prayer, Deep Conversion, by Fr Dubay.
 
How was that one?
interesting, the author is a secular jew, i think he came away from the experience as a “better” person, but im not sure if he learned ant spiritual lessons, it seemed like he was more concentrated on a lot of ritual law than moral law, not that he left those aside. he also was really not into the new testament since it was unfamiliar, he went into it the last couple months though.

its a quick read, id get it at the library or used, i wouldnt say its one id read agian or want in my permanent collection.
 
Don Quixote by Cervantes — both humorous and thought-provoking, and absolutely delightful.
The Republic by Plato — briefly: fascinating… and also thought-provoking.
Trojan Horse in the City of God by Dietrich von Hildebrand — once again, thought-provoking! He’s an amazingly insightful man.
The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis — which is pure magic. As a high school freshman I gave the first book a try and thought it was strange. Perhaps it’s strange still, but strangely wonderful, or wonderfully strange.
Old Thunder by Joseph Pearce — I read A.N. Wilson’s biography of Belloc, which I enjoyed in some ways… but some aspects of it were just poorly done. I’m hoping the Pearce biography is a bit more professional.
Heretics by G.K. Chesterton — which is actually a re-read. It’s one of my favorite Chesterton books, and I like to go through it again every so often.
 
Don Quixote by Cervantes — both humorous and thought-provoking, and absolutely delightful.
The Republic by Plato — briefly: fascinating… and also thought-provoking.
Trojan Horse in the City of God by Dietrich von Hildebrand — once again, thought-provoking! He’s an amazingly insightful man.
The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis — which is pure magic. As a high school freshman I gave the first book a try and thought it was strange. Perhaps it’s strange still, but strangely wonderful, or wonderfully strange.
Old Thunder by Joseph Pearce — I read A.N. Wilson’s biography of Belloc, which I enjoyed in some ways… but some aspects of it were just poorly done. I’m hoping the Pearce biography is a bit more professional.
Heretics by G.K. Chesterton — which is actually a re-read. It’s one of my favorite Chesterton books, and I like to go through it again every so often.
About Don Quixote… it’s a good book, but I have a very difficult time getting into more than a hundred pages into it. I mean, you’d think that at some point he’d realize that everything thing he does is to no avail… of course, I’ve never read the entire thing.
 
^ That’s quite a long book to judge on the first 100 pages.

I’m reading THE POWER AND THE GLORY right now. First Greene. It’s good so far. I just got done with Bernanos’ UNDER SATAN’S SUN and so far this is like young adult lit in comparison… not that it doesn’t address very worthwhile issues.
 
I also recently finished *Odd Hours *by Dean Koontz and enjoyed it. I look forward to the next book in that excellent series.

Now, I’ve begun reading Hosts by F. Paul Wilson, the fifth book in his Repairman Jack series of novels. I like this character, who fixs situations not appliances, and often gets involved in the para-normal. Although he works outside the law for a price, he still follows a moral code and is kind of an anti-hero. There is always a lot of action and suspense, an all around fun read. I started with the first one, The Tomb, which got me hooked into the series.

The author, F. Paul Wilson, once a practising physician and now a full time writer, was raised Catholic but now considers himself a “recovering Catholic” unfortunately. His disbelief comes through occasionally in his writing, but usually his stories deal with good vs. evil. Check out his website, www.repairmanjack.com, if interested.
 
Correction on my book title. I am reading …

“THE SECRET STILL HIDDEN”
By Christopher A. Ferrara
 
Actually, I’m between books. I just finished reading “The Chris Farley Show” by Tom Farley and Tanner Colby.

Today I will start “The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible” by Robert J. Hutchinson and “Catholic and Loving it” by Andrew Salzmann and Sabitha Narendran (birthday gifts, yay!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top