What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading “The Hiding Place” the true story of Corrie Ten Boom that also takes place during the holocaust. She was a Christian woman that was taken by the Nazi’s for hiding Jews.

A wonderful book so far.

Am also reading “The Gift of Faith” by Tadeusz Dajczer. An incredible book that has changed the way I view God and my life.

amazon.com/Gift-Faith-Tadeusz-Dajczer/dp/0972143203/sr=1-1/qid=1159792238/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7003927-1300845?ie=UTF8&s=books

Debbie
Is this book by a catholic author? It sounds interesting.
 
I’m not currently reading any novels. Well, I’m reading graphic novels if that’ll count…

Currently the “Dark Knight Returns” and “Crisis on the Infifnite Earths”. Two of DC’s best graphic novels… Hehe!
 
Is this book by a catholic author? It sounds interesting.
I’m not certain, but I think Corrie TB was/is Dutch Reform. It took place outside Amsterdam, and written by people in Grand Rapids, Michigan (big Dutch Reform area).

Debbie

Wonderful words of wisdom inside the book.
 
I’m reading the 5 Languages of Apology by Dr. Gary Chapman
It’s like his 5 Love Languages and so far is really good.
 
Just finished Robin McGraws book…very good.

Currently reading a book about the Mary Kay company…good…
 
I just finished The Bones of Plenty which is a novel about two farm families in North Dakota in 1933 and 1934. Its well written and eye-opening. I knew the Depression years were also the Dust Bowl years, but this knowledge didn’t move me until I read this book. Its startling to realize how “primitive” living and working conditions were such a short time ago. And surprising to realize how many of the attitudes expressed in the book (it was written in 1962) are still current today.

I’d have never heard of the book if I hadn’t read Kathleen Norris’ Dakota: a Spiritual Geography. Norris recommends “The Bones of Plenty” several times in her book.
 
I just finished The Bones of Plenty which is a novel about two farm families in North Dakota in 1933 and 1934. Its well written and eye-opening. I knew the Depression years were also the Dust Bowl years, but this knowledge didn’t move me until I read this book. Its startling to realize how “primitive” living and working conditions were such a short time ago. And surprising to realize how many of the attitudes expressed in the book (it was written in 1962) are still current today.

I’d have never heard of the book if I hadn’t read Kathleen Norris’ Dakota: a Spiritual Geography. Norris recommends “The Bones of Plenty” several times in her book.
Off topic but you need to watch the movie ‘The Grapes of Wrath’ (also a fabulous book by John Steinbeck) - basically about farmers during the Depression. Powerful stuff.

Ok, back to regularly scheduled programming now :whistle:
 
One More Day by Mitch Alborne (last name I think is wrong) AWESOME book!
 
Just finished “Rounding the Horn” by Dallas Murphy.
Ah, is that about the age of sail? In Patrick O’Brian’s books he describes the Horn passage as pretty grim, when sailing west.

How did you like your book?
 
The Golden Thread - A Novel About St. Ignatius of Loyola

by Louis de Wohl
 
Ah, is that about the age of sail? In Patrick O’Brian’s books he describes the Horn passage as pretty grim, when sailing west.

How did you like your book?
I liked the book; it gave me a good idea of what it was like to get around Cape Horn in a saling ship. He starts with his own voyage in the Pelagic but keeps flashing back to historic voyages by Magellan, Drake, etc, with a lot of well-researched detail from primary sources. It’s also the first time I’ve read anything about the Yahgan Indians that occuped Tierra del Fuego.

The only drawback is that he can’t resist making occasional snide remarks about the Christian explorers and Christian missionaries. Not a fatal flaw, though.
 
Scriptural Matters by Scott Hahn
The Diary of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska
 
Roadshow: Landscape with Drums/A Concert Tour by Motorcycle by Neil Peart

A little existential but a great read. (But then again, I like Ayn Rand too.)
 
CATHOLIC APOLOGETICS by Fr. John Laux (TAN Books)
and
HANDMAID OF THE LORD by Adrienne von Speyr (IGNATIUS)

Jaypeeto4 (aka Jaypeeto3)
 
CATHOLIC APOLOGETICS by Fr. John Laux (TAN Books)
and
HANDMAID OF THE LORD by Adrienne von Speyr (IGNATIUS)

Jaypeeto4 (aka Jaypeeto3)
I have read Church History by Fr. John Laux and have used it as a reference in the past.
 
**I am reading “The Hiding Place” the true story of Corrie Ten Boom that also takes place during the holocaust. She was a Christian woman that was taken by the Nazi’s for hiding Jews.

A wonderful book so far.**

I never read the book The Hiding Place, but I saw the film version around 30 years ago, and it was SUPERB. Corrie Ten Boom made a cameo appearance at the end (at least when it was shown in theatres).

Jaypeeto4 (aka Jaypeeto3)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top