What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished Crime and Punishment and was not as blown away as I had expected to be based on the reviews and glowing praise this book has received. It was a bit of a letdown.

Now I’m re-reading Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina. I read it about 10 years ago (I’m guessing based on the receipt I found stuck in the back) and don’t remember much. It’s even better than I remembered, a real page-turner. 👍
 
I remember the classics…Jane Eyre etc

Some time back I read Diary of Anne Frank…
 
I found several copies of this book at the foyer of our church here. I was wondering if anyone has heard of it, maybe read it, and if so what did they think about it? The book is called “The Holy Spirit Keys To The Kingdom” by Gary Carroll.

BTW… Just got through reading Joyce Meyer’s book called “Life Without Strife” and just gotta tell you that it is an excellent read. Helped me out alot.
 
Starting to read Gene Wolfe’s “The Book of the Long Sun” again. The Briah series is probably hands down the best speculative fiction epic there is. Dune doesn’t even compare.

I’m eagerly awaiting Wolfe’s “An Evil Guest”. The Amazon book review called it “Bladerunner meets Lovecraft”… I don’t enjoy Bladerunner all that much, but coming from Gene Wolfe, it is guaranteed greatness. Gene Wolfe + Cthulu = amazing (hopefully).
 
I found several copies of this book at the foyer of our church here. I was wondering if anyone has heard of it, maybe read it, and if so what did they think about it? The book is called “The Holy Spirit Keys To The Kingdom” by Gary Carroll.

BTW… Just got through reading Joyce Meyer’s book called “Life Without Strife” and just gotta tell you that it is an excellent read. Helped me out alot.
googling Gary Carroll brings up pdf of book with that title, since bible quotes are all taken from non-Catholic bible translations,

etpv.org/books/The%20Holy%20Spirit%20–%20Keys%20to%20the%20Kingdom%20by%20Gary%20Carroll.pdf

there is no imprimatur, and no title page giving any bio or credentials, I think we may take it if it’s the same book, not reliable and those copies should be taken to the pastor to dispose of. Probably dumped by fundies trying to convert those d—d Catholics. the same search brings up a blog of his about an alleged vision he had of the Holy Spirit, so that alone would make him a banned topic here.

Joyce Meyer also is png for Catholics.

howza weather up there? we are having a cold spell, got down into the high 80s today after a month of high 90s, 100+

what am I reading? RE textbooks preparing syllabus for next year grades K-6
 
googling Gary Carroll brings up pdf of book with that title, since bible quotes are all taken from non-Catholic bible translations,

etpv.org/books/The%20Holy%20Spirit%20–%20Keys%20to%20the%20Kingdom%20by%20Gary%20Carroll.pdf

there is no imprimatur, and no title page giving any bio or credentials, I think we may take it if it’s the same book, not reliable and those copies should be taken to the pastor to dispose of. Probably dumped by fundies trying to convert those d—d Catholics. the same search brings up a blog of his about an alleged vision he had of the Holy Spirit, so that alone would make him a banned topic here.

Joyce Meyer also is png for Catholics.

howza weather up there? we are having a cold spell, got down into the high 80s today after a month of high 90s, 100+

what am I reading? RE textbooks preparing syllabus for next year grades K-6
Excuse my ignorance but what is a d----d Catholic and what does png mean? Sorry. Just dont know these fancy terms.

Here it has been so hot that even the blades of grass have their tongues out panting and we need rain badly. Thank you. for responding.
 
I’m not Annie, but she seems to have gone off somewhere for now. d—d Catholics is damned, which is what many Protestants think we all are by virtue of being Catholic. And png is persona non grata, which means a person not welcome in Latin.
 
Why is Joyce Meyer png? I once heard her say there were no ‘seating sections’ in Heaven.
 
CS Lewis - The Silver Chair - I’m about 1/3 through. Love these stories!!! 😃

And a wonderful old book I picked up at the Homeschooler’s Conference this weekend - it has a copyright of 1930. It is The History of the Mass. It was originally intended to be only an internal document for a monastery, but was later translated and published in the late 1020’s. Have not been able to read too much yet, just got it on Saturday, but it looks wonderful!!

~Liza
 
Hey, my Roots of the Reformation showed up from Amazon today:thumbsup: ; between that and finishing up the Alex Jones story I’m surrounded with good stuff.
 
I am reading a book entitled “Whatever Happened to America” by Jon Spokes writing under the pseudonym of Jon Christian Ryter.

EXCELLENT READING…a refresher course on American history (the correct history) and an amazing analysis of why our country is where it is today.

I highly recommend it for this election year. (And boy will you be surprised!)
 
History books on Georgia & Florida. Don’t really care for fiction. Not really true, but it seems all the good stuff has already been written. That’s a bit cynical but I’m constantly dissapointed & have pretty much given up reading fiction.
 
I TRIED reading that Ann Rice book about Christ, but only lasted two pages.
 
*The End of the Affair *and
The Heart of the Matter
by Graham Greene
 
I am 2/3’s of the way thru “Summer Island” by Kristin Hannah

Kathy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top