What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Man who was Thursday -G.K. Chesterton
Calde of the Long Sun- Gene Wolfe
Jane Eyre
 
Just picked up Fr. Pacwa’s new bible study on Paul and the Sacraments, so that’ll be my new read at least for a while.
 
Just started reading “The Silver Chalice,” by Thomas Costain. Good read, so far.
 
I am starting " No Strange Fire" by Ted Wojtasik to feed my Amish curiosity

Kathy
 
To Know Christ by F.J. Sheed

Helped me to view the life of Christ in the context of how people see him 20 centuries ago 👍
 
I am reading “Vida Intima del Padre Pro” (The Intimate Life of Padre Pro)

Highly recommended, written in Spanish by Fr. Antonio Aragon, S. J. Amazing story of his life and martyrdom,
Excellent if you need inspiration! 👍
 
Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card. I found the poem (Prentice Alvin and the No-Good Plow) that the series is based upon and read it last night.
 
The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes (not Shales, Shlaes) It is a very good treatment of the Great Depression.
 
Just finished reading Moonlight on the Avenue of Faith (Gina B. Nahai) and The Jane Austen Book Club (Karen Jay Fowler). I have now moved on to Dracula. Somehow, during all my years of devouring vampire literature I have yet to read this classic.
 
Just finished reading the latest chapter of Air Gear. (someone told me comic books counted. 😛 ).
 
I just started “Get Us Out Of Here” given to me by a neat lady from RCIA class.

Kathy
 
'Jane Austen Book club? Nothing beats the real thing :nope:

I’m ‘reading’ (as an audiobook - to save my poor eyes which get tired-out from using computers all day) Mansfield Park.
 
'Jane Austen Book club? Nothing beats the real thing :nope:

I’m ‘reading’ (as an audiobook - to save my poor eyes which get tired-out from using computers all day) Mansfield Park.
Oh, I quite concur. I adore Miss Austen’s works. In fact, I’ve read or reread all of her books within the last few months. I happened to read The Jane Austen Book Club because I saw the movie last month and when I discovered it was a book, I had to see how it compared to the movie. But, yes reading about reading Jane Austen isn’t quite the same thing as reading Jane Austen. 🙂
 
I just finished reading “Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13” by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger. It was very good and a pretty easy read, since it wasn’t as technical as I feared it might be. It was written in a way that anybody could understand it and I discovered that the “Apollo 13” movie adaptation followed the book pretty closely.

On Friday, I started reading “Mistaken Identity” by Don and Susie Van Ryn and Newell, Colleen and Whitney Cerak with Mark Tabb. It is a page-turner and I expect to finish it today.

I remember when I first heard about their story on the news and was dumbfounded at the time that such a thing could happen. I do remember that the two young ladies involved were both blonde and had very similar features. A big part of the story is the inspiring and strong trust, faith, hope, and love of God of all involved and it is truly inspiring to read. Their faith is a wonder. Then, the other part, is the surreal story of mistaken identity, in which two of the accident victims, Laura Van Ryn and Whitney Cerak, were misidentified at the scene of the accident. Their true identities were not discovered until five weeks after the accident. Amazing! An excerpt from the back cover of the book:

“…Five lives were lost in a tragic accident involving a Taylor University van, and one young woman, severely injured and comatose, was rushed to the hospital. Five funerals were held. Families, faculty, students, and communities grieved their losses and joined in prayer and hope as the one young woman, Laura Van Ryn, fought for her life in a hospital bed. The national news spread the story, and people everywhere shared the grief and hope. Five weeks passed…. And then the shock! “Okay, Laura, I would like you to write your name for me,” the occupational therapist said. …”
 
Finished Dracula on Saturday and also read a delightful book called Cry Wolf this weekend. Now I’m currently reading The Dark Night of the Soul and The Dante Club.
 
I am usually reading a novel and one or two non-fiction books at a time. I’m a writer and have to do research sometimes, which I greatly enjoy. And I love to read, so I’m always looking for book recommends and am starting a content review/blog site with a Christian theme for books/movies/etc. so I’m getting my horizons opened up quite a bit as of late.

My current three:

“UFOs and the National Security State” by James Dolan.

A little writing research, interesting read. I’m working on a mystery series about a paranormal investigator, so I’ve been reading alot of non-fic lately about that sort of stuff. Whether it’s real or not, it’s a blast to write about and just overall a “safe” thriller/horror outlet.

“Character Is Destiny” by John McCain

So far I’m enjoying it, and I like that the chapters are short and simple. I’m trying to learn more about how he thinks by reading his books. I wish we’d have more elections where both candidates each wrote several books!

“The Da Vinci Code” by Dan Brown

Reading for a review website I’ve been working on. Will give details of it later because it’s Christian themed and about rating the content of books/movies/etc. Not overly impressed, especially when a fictional novel starts with a page stating “FACT”. Not sure why this is on AOL’s lists of “America’s Top Ten Favorite Books” (Bible was #1, btw 😃 ) and “Ten Books To Read Before You Die”.
 
The Da Vinci Load is, however, a textbook case of how to build suspense.

Currently reading Vol. 15 of the YuuYuu Hakusho manga. Well, looking at the pictures, anyway. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top