What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn’t a board for book reports, so I’ll just have to post this in the Water Cooler.

Stalking the Divine

by Kristin Ohlson

One Christmas this Cleveland writer is so bored she decides to go to church. She hasn’t been to Mass for years. She picks out a large downtown church based on ads in the local newspaper. When she gets there, she discovers the existence of the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration, a cloistered order so obscure the city has forgotten about them. After Christmas she keeps going to Mass, and eventually gets to know the nuns. The article she writes appears in the local newspaper and suddenly the city rediscovers its nuns. In fact if you go to their website you can still see that article today: This book tells the story of the author’s growing relationship with the small crowd of parishioners and their cloistered nuns.
The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
 
Any John Buchan fans

any Alexander McCall Smith fans

any Lois Bujold McMaster fans out there
 
Depends usually.
Usually, Japanese Manga, sometimes the Japanese New Testament, sometimes Michael Crichton’s Timeline.
The Book I read a few days ago is ‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’.
Excellent story, by the way.
 
Depends usually.
Usually, Japanese Manga, sometimes the Japanese New Testament, sometimes Michael Crichton’s Timeline.
The Book I read a few days ago is ‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’.
Excellent story, by the way.
Ever read Lone Wolf and Cub?
 
At this moment I’m reading The Diary of Anne Frank.I promised my girlfriend I will read it…I’m a gentleman,and I keep my word.

Cheers,
Aleks.
 
The Diary of Anne Frank
That is a great book and at the same time really sad. I read it along time ago, I think that maybe I will pull it out and read it again.

I just finished “Introduction to Christianity” by Pope Benedict. I will be starting “Born Fundamentalist, Born again Catholic” as soon as it arrives.
 
I just finished the 3rd book in the Hitchhiker’s “trilogy” by Douglas Adams.

I just started (on page 77 of 512) Hyperion by Dan Simmons. So far pretty engaging!
 
That is a great book and at the same time really sad. I read it along time ago, I think that maybe I will pull it out and read it again.
I agree,It a great book.For the first time I have the chance to see the presecution of Jews from the view of a Jew girl.It is very sad too,how she describes other Jews that she sees on the street being taken by the nazis.

Cheers,
Aleks.
 
I love historical novels - not fiction set in the past, but stories of real historical figures. As long as they’re well written of course. I’m reading one about Henry VIII and his first wife Catherine of Aragon now 👍
 
I’m reading a historical fiction mystery series by Barbara Hambly, well researched and excellently written, set in 1830s New Orleans. The hero is an ex slave who is a doctor and music teacher, and solves murder mysteries; he’s also Catholic. The first is A Free Man of Color, the second is Fever Season, the third Graveyard Dust; there are eight in all.
 
I’m reading one about Henry VIII and his first wife Catherine of Aragon now
Dont worry Lily, I wont spoil the ending of the book for you, its a shocker! 👍
 
**I just finished reading “The Intellegencer”. It takes place in two time periods, Elizabethan England, and the present. It was a very quick read, though I wasn’t really (name removed by moderator)ressed with it.

Before that, I finished “Elizabeth I” or “I, Elizabeth”, a fictionalized version of the life of Elizabeth during the last part of reign. That was a great book.

Currently, I am reading “1776” and “London”.**
 
**I just finished reading “The Intellegencer”. It takes place in two time periods, Elizabethan England, and the present. It was a very quick read, though I wasn’t really (name removed by moderator)ressed with it.

Before that, I finished “Elizabeth I” or “I, Elizabeth”, a fictionalized version of the life of Elizabeth during the last part of reign. That was a great book.

Currently, I am reading “1776” and “London”.**
That wouldn’t be ‘I, Elizabeth’ by Rosalind Miles would it? That covers her ENTIRE life and reign - quite a lengthy read, but wonderful!!!
 
**I just finished reading “The Intellegencer”. It takes place in two time periods, Elizabethan England, and the present. It was a very quick read, though I wasn’t really (name removed by moderator)ressed with it.

Before that, I finished “Elizabeth I” or “I, Elizabeth”, a fictionalized version of the life of Elizabeth during the last part of reign. That was a great book.

Currently, I am reading “1776” and “London”.**
That wouldn’t be ‘I Elizabeth’ by Rosalind Miles would it? That covers her entire life and reign - quite a lengthy read, but wonderful.
 
I just recently started Dee Brown’s “Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee”
Kathy
 
Emily Stein Saint and Martyr

Lately I’ve been attempting to learn more about the Jews role in salvation, past, present and future.

When the often discussed topic of the existance of the Christian God comes up so often in these forums, I often wonder why the remarkable history of the Jewish people is not reflected upon as evidence.

From an academic (vs. spiritual) perspective, it’s the most obvious and profound component of evidence (for me).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top