What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So…first book when you go to sleep and second book when you wake up?

I do this kind of thing as well. I’m usually reading four or five books at once. Usually a novel plus a mishmash of religion, philosophy, history, politics, and cultural criticism.

Navigating the Interior Life by Daniel Burke, for the second time. I’m actually paying attention this time :roll_eyes:

Nah. First book is my main book. I’ve been meaning to read it for a while and I’m pretty engaged with it now, so it’s what I’m mainly reading. The second I read from time to time before I go to bed, if I have the concentration for it. It’s structured like a text book, so it lends itself to short bursts.

Last edited:
Books I have to finish reading:

The Apostasy that Wasn’t
Why I don’t call myself gay
How to make a good confession
Real men pray the rosary
Saint Augustine’s confessions
Hard Sayings (it’s about scripture)

Books I have to finish reading:

The Apostasy that Wasn’t
Why I don’t call myself gay
How to make a good confession
Real men pray the rosary
Saint Augustine’s confessions
Hard Sayings (it’s about scripture)
I’ve tried a couple times to read the Confessions and I just can’t get through it. Bores me to tears.

40.png
HopkinsReb:
Bores me to tears.
I find his confessions are interesting 🙂
I find them interesting for the first couple sit-downs with the book, then it becomes a slog.

And I’m not the type who gets bored by hard-to-read books. I’ve read the Silmarillion three times.

40.png
HopkinsReb:
And I’m not the type who gets bored by hard-to-read books. I’ve read the Silmarillion three times.
Wow! You have my admiration, sir!
None merited – it’s a super entertaining re-read. You just have to get to a point where you sort of know the names; otherwise, it’s like a firehose of Elvish names being shoved into your eye sockets.

Dear Student MI, and anyone else reading this thread,

I’m re-reading “The Interior Liturgy of the Our Father” by R. Thomas Richard. It is an excellent book and one I’m blessed by even more as I re-read it . I have found that to be my experience in reading Scripture and many of our great Catholic Spiritual writers – that after reading a book I found to be good, I want to go back and re-read it after some time.

After more time in prayer and learning from God though experiences, it is reasonable that we grow in greater appreciation of what we found to be good and find it is even better because we understand more of God’s work in our own souls and how He has worked such marveloous things in the souls of others. 🙂

Last edited:
The Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux & 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson

Last edited:
I’ve also picked up the habit of reading a bit from a daily devotional every morning for a year. Last year, it was Bread for the Journey by Henri J. M. Nouwen. This year, I’m reading Praying With St. Luke’s Gospel from Magnificat, edited by Fr. Peter John Cameron, O.P.

Last edited:
I used to dislike reading when I was a lad , but this is the first book I enjoyed reading - - - - - - - - -

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

I’m reading ‘The complete life of Krishna: Based on the earliest oral traditions and the sacred scriptures’ by Vanamali. It’s pretty good; I’m about 60% done. It’s a good balance between a readable story and a work of scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back