What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually in the Silmarillion when Tolkien first wrote it, but I was somehow able to escape its pages, and I’ve taken up form here in your world for now with all you CAF’ folks. You’ll no longer find me in the pages, for when I left, the words referring to me also disappeared.

Jesus of Nazareth: Holy Week - Pope Benedict XVI
The Diary of St Faustina

Just finished Magisterial Authority by Fr. Chad Ripperger and the Catechism of the Summa Theologicae of St Thomas Aquinas by Fr. Thomas Pegues OP.

Currently reading through The Catholic Catechism by Fr. John Hardon SJ.

The Disciple’s Wife by Marilyn Malcolm - fiction about what it might have been like for Peter’s wife

The Power and the Glory (it affected me so much I chose it as my user name when I joined this forum), and The End of the Affair, also by Graham Greene. As a former Catholic and someone struggling to return to Catholicism, I can speak to the soul piercing power of Greene’s books. Definitely read them if you get the chance!

The Deification of Man: St. Gregory Palamas and the Orthodox Tradition

ZP

The complete Peanuts collection by Charles Schultz…about 25 to 26 books from 1950 to 2000. Presently, I’m on the 1995-1996 volume. Lot’s of amusing philosophical religious cartoons…

The complete Peanuts collection by Charles Schultz…about 25 to 26 books from 1950 to 2000. Presently, I’m on the 1995-1996 volume. Lot’s of amusing philosophical religious cartoons…
A couple of books on Christian teaching in Peanuts appeared in the 1960s:The Gospel According to Peanuts andThe Parables of Peanuts, both by Robert L. Short, then a student of theology and later a Presbyterian minister. I have both books, but they’ve been sitting unread on my shelves for years. I’ve been meaning to get around to them, but like most people, I skip the commentaries and go straight to the cartoon books.

Last edited:
Fulton Sheen’s autobiography: Treasure in Clay. I’m a big devotee of Sheen (see my Avatar), so it’s been really interesting to learn about his life from his perspective.

I’m reading, besides the Old Testament; the Hobbit to my sons. I was reading the Personal Writings of Saint Ignatius of Loyola.

I enjoyed reading Jon Meacham’s book The Soul of America The Battle For Our Better Angels. Meacham is a great historian. I highly recommend this book.

St. Faustina’s Diary currently. Just received it and thinking of starting Life of the Beloved by Henri Nouwen soon.

I’ve got a stack, and I am half-haphazardly reading all of them a bit at a time:
Confessions by St. Augustine
Introduction to the Devout Live by St. Francis de Sales
My Other Self by Clarence J. Enzler
The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
Existence and the Existent by Jacques Maritain
Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton
Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan
The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald
The American Medical Association Family Medical Guide
and Stars and Planets by W. S. Kals

Status
Not open for further replies.