What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m glad they cut out the silly nonsense about Tom Bombadil. I have feeling people with flog me alive for that one. But it was seriously the most out of character part of the book.
54102f4131f621d8070fb5e2ec3dfcb0a5ef903a.gif

I preferred Galadriel in the book to the movie.
45fd15048663fb82a2e774f753909cff463ca98d.gif

The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything by Father James Martin SJ.

I think this discussion is great!
I am ordering some of the books people say they are reading.

I’m about half way through Fr Rutler’s Calm in Chaos. He is a fine stylist and the observations are spot on - I recommend it highly!

Finished Pope Benedict “Jesus” series. Now on to…

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Scott Hahn - Reasons to Believe. I’ve read it before. This is my favorite of his books I’ve read.

Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt - The Coddling of the American Mind. Two academics write about trends they’ve seen with college students who started entering college in 2013 and how rapidly these trends have impacted colleges.

Francis Fukuyama - Identity. A balanced account of the need for people to feel they are recognized and respected and how this plays out in politics and society.

Last edited:
The Fisherman’s Tomb by John O’Neill. Fascinating tale of the search for St. Peter’s tomb.

Merton - No man is an island
Kreeft - Because God is real
Escriva - The Way
Lewis - Mind awake

Divine intimacy
By Fr Gabriel.
Carmelite meditations
Profound
It’s Worth the 65 bucks

The real presence
By St. Peter Julian Eymard.
Read it with Jesus in adoration
You will never receive communion the
Same after this read.
He is the saint of the Eucharist

Just finished The Trial by Franz Kafka and will start Letter to Father, also by Franz Kafka, soon. I’ve fallen in love with this writer!

He Leadeth Me, by Fr. Walter J. Ciszek, S.J.

As many here know, Servant of God Fr. Walter Ciszek spent many years in Soviet Russia as a prisoner of conscience during and after WWII, and is now on the path to canonization. His editor, Fr. Daniel L. Flaherty, S.J., without whom his books would not have been published, just died this week.

Great reading!
As this book is kafkaesque, i didn’t have succeed (or have the courage to) in reeding the Trial entirely, even if I have studied it for the baccalaureate.
But that’s a very interesting book! And sometimes, we can found ourselves in somewhat similar situation in real life.

Thanks! Kafka’s style is indeed hard to understand on the first read. His works are often laced with multiple meanings, and one does need to take his time in reading it, in order to fully appreciate it.
And yes, sadly, we often do find ourselves in situations in which we are hopelessly overpowered by the world, like Josef K. in The Trial.

Catechism of the Catholic Church; the Book of Ezekiel, and recently, I just finished (for the third time) Inside Mormonism by Isaiah Bennett.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back