What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently finished listening to The Fisherman’s Tomb by John O’Neill audiobook.

Currently listening to Grant Takes Command by Bruce Catton audiobook.

Currently reading The Woman Shall Conquer: The Story of the Blessed Virgin in the Modern World by Don Sharkey.

At the moment, I am taking a short break from re-reading the Player’s Handbook for D&D 5e.

Daily devotional reading is For All the Saints.

At work reading: The Syntopicon: An Index to the Great Ideas — currently on the article on “Duty.”

At home reading:
A People’s History of the United States, by Howard Zinn

Christ Present in Faith: Luther’s View of Justification, by Tuomo Mannermaa (for the second time)

Vox Graeca, by W. Sidney Allen (though I speak Greek with the modern pronunciation)

I have about four grammars (Greek, Latin, Hebrew, German), three dictionaries (one Greek, two Latin), five English Bibles, a Greek New Testament, a Vulgate, and two hymnals crowding the coffee table in addition to the above, that my wife tells me to move to the shelf, but I’m using too often so they just end up right back on the table.

I recently finished reading How to Find Your Soulmate without Losing Your Soul by Jason Evert and Catholic Girl’s Survival Guide for the Single Years : The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting on Mr. Right by Emily Stimpson.

I’m still reading alternately the Opening to God by Thomas H. Green, The Dark Night of Soul by St. John of the Cross and The Exclamation The Wise Choice of a Spouse for Catholic Marriage by Patricia Wrona.

Bonhoeffer’s biography by Metaxas. It is a captivating read, but is a little depressing in that it is prophetic for our time.

I’m reading the Study Havamal, which I got from Amazon. The Havamal is a sacred text of Norse Paganism. It has a lot of room on every other page to write notes. I never use that, though. I never write or make notes in the books I read.

Last edited:
Been reading a little of bit of Kierkegaard. Philosophical Fragments.

If only he made some sense.

Still working through In Sinu Jesu. It is slow going since it is so meditative. It has inspired me to do more Adoration, especially in reparation for the sins of priests and the sins against the priesthood.
I’m the type that typically has 4-5 books going at the same time. I read a lot of history, including history of science. I just finished Radium Girls.

not to sound boring but next to the Bible, I love the catechism. The Catholic Verses by Armstrong, Born Fundamentalist Reborn Catholic, History of the Early Church Vol 1.

I have read a lot of books, but there are no books on religion like Catholic books. Rich stuff.

Letters to Jacob; Mostly About Prayer, by Fr. John-Julian, OJN.

Started Born to Love by Fr John Waiss, with an intro by Fr Benedict Groeschel who is a favorite author of mine.

Time For God - Fr. Jacques Philippe
Bullets and Bolos: 13 Years in the Philippine Islands - John R. White

Denzinger
Reasons to Believe - Scott Hahn
Before Church and State - Andrew Willard Jones
The Church Fathers

Scott Hahn, “Signs of Life”. Its a light read, but very nice. Nice explanation of those particularly “Catholic” things we do.

It’s Lent and I am a Benedictine Oblate so I am reading Dante’s Inferno. I am also re-reading In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back