What do Jews think of the other Abrahamic religions?

• Thread starter Thread starter YHWH_Christ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyhow, it seems your last comment was about how my name (being Polish) makes me anti-semitic?
Oddly, not as you might think, my ancestors and yours wouldn’t have interacted (unless my south German ancestors were involved in some army wandering around central Europe and barged into your ancestors). In that way, we may have oppressed you but not according to the script.

On the other hand, you were being rather predictable.

Not being among any of the People of the Book I am totally unqualified to answer the question posed in the title of the thread, so I’ll be brave and have a go.

It seems to me possible that Jews might regard believers in the other two Abrahamic religions the way Christians might view Mormons: as people who have picked up an existing religion and taken it to some strange places.

I’d say that most Jews really don’t concern themselves much with other faiths as long as they aren’t being persecuted by them.
Would that include a Jew not being able to go to a religious service in another faith? The reason I ask is this. I know someone who is a Ukrainian Catholic but worships at our local Latin Catholic church. This Ukrainian Catholic lady and I both live in an area of the UK with the second largest Jewish community outside London. The Ukrainian Catholic lady I know’s best friend is a Jewish lady who is a member of a synagogue that identifies itself as being Orthodox. This Jewish lady attends our Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve and has to lie to her husband to attend because he forbids it. What I don’t know is if that is because Jews in general would say you should not attend a non-Jewish service or if perhaps it is just him.

When seeking to understand Judaism, it is best to do so on the Jews’ own terms.
Oh, I do so wholeheartedly agree with this! I really wish I could more than just ‘like’’ your post. This attitude that people have of judging things from their own narrow perspective is the source of so many of our present woes.

What I don’t know is if that is because Jews in general would say you should not attend a non-Jewish service or if perhaps it is just him.
I think it’s just him! After my confirmation at fifteen, I took a post confirmation class in comparative religion. This is an Orthodox synagogue giving these classes. We went to several different religious services. Now, maybe our synagogue was unusual but I’ve never heard of a teaching that we could not attend another’s faith service. So, maybe this families Rabbi was commanding this or it was just the husband?

We certainly were not encouraged to get too interested in other faiths! Just as every religion also are not encouraged.

So, maybe this families Rabbi was commanding this or it was just the husband?
I honestly do not know the answer. I know it was an instruction to her from her husband. Whether he made the decision following the instructions or advice of his rabbi I could not say.

I have encountered him at a few social events and he always sits on his own, will not interact with other people, is extremely reluctant to be introduced and will not shake hands. Based on this I suspect it is him. I have quite a number of friends, acquaintances and colleagues who are Jewish. I know no others who behave in this way. His wife is the total opposite they really do seem to be a case of opposites attract.

I believe from a book I read on Judaism written by several Jews that even then it varies within the various schools such as Orthodox, Conservative, etc. I believe each synagogue is independent and thus to a limited extent shapes its own version of Judaism. Admittedly, a Reform synagogue will be more like other Reform synagogues than say those of other schools. I think the closest thing we have in Christianity (and such analogies are not always prudent) from the mainstream denominations would be Baptists.

he always sits on his own, will not interact with other people, is extremely reluctant to be introduced and will not shake hands.
I will note that many Orthodox men will behave this way in public. They take Torah law down to the smallest jot and tittle. They will not shake hands due to ritual purity restrictions and they usually have no interest in mingling with the goyim (non Jews). They are the RadTrads of Judaism. And yet his wife is not!😂😂😂. I wonder if they were matched by a Jewish matchmaker…they still exist…or just a case of opposites attract! How funny. Well, I hope it works for them!

Yes, I think it’s probably just him or his specific congregation.

and a new decade!
Nooooooooooo! One of the things I get on my soapbox about. The next decade starts on the 1st January 2021. There was never a year 0. If you use the calendar most widely used in the world the first year in the current era was 1 AD. This years ending 10. 20, 30. etc. are the tenth and last year of the decade and not the first of another. Decades begin with 01, 21, 31, etc.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! I know…
We still start with a new digit! 2020…so, that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it! Wrong as I am…😂😂😂

We mostly drank coffee
I wish we had. We spent an exorbitant sum of money on a single bottle of oh-so-famous champagne. I’ve never drank anything so utterly disgusting. My wallet is still smarting this day.

Who says we need to be consistent? 9 - 1 B.C. and 1 - 9 A.D. weren’t decades. But everything after that and before that are.

Last edited:
My wallet is still smarting this day.
I would have loved some alcohol. Forbidden in a lab, unfortunately. The cost of having all of us come in on overtime and night shift differential had to be enormous! My wallet liked it, however!

With hindsight I would rather have worked on the so-called Millenium Eve. I was never really convinced the world was about to come to an end. As we know it didn’t. I didn’t have the option of working that night. I’m a teacher and there’s not much call for that on New Year’s Eve.

On the other hand, you were being rather predictable.
Could you please talk less in riddles and just say what you mean?

In what way was I being predictable, and about what? What if I was to say you are being predictable?

So when I ask you to clarify what you are saying more clearly, you don’t want to talk.

That’s fine, it’s your right, but it also means we are not going to get anywhere, because you seem to be making statements about me in an indirect way, and when I call you out on them and want you to explain it to me, you suggest we do not communicate with each other. If that is the case then perhaps you should not interact with my posts in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back