What do we do in Heaven for eternity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prodigal1984
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but keeping in mind that our human need for pleasure and joy is simply a longing for the infinite, and that need will be completely fulfilled in Heaven. Earthly pleasure and joy are meant to simply be a glimmer of what awaits us in Heaven.
 
I think some people somewhat overstate the idea that we will live in eternity and there is no time in heaven. Properly speaking, only God exists in eternity. Yes, the Bible and the Church talk of us having eternal life, but as Aquinas says, that is because there will be no end, but it is not the same as living in eternity. Eternity has no before and after, is incompatible with the concept of before and after. Aeviternity is how we will live in heaven, it is in between time and eternity. Angels and saints have a beginning. While Angels and our human souls are not changeable in their essence, they are changeable both accidentally and potentially. Angels can have a new revelation imparted on them, they are aware of the before and after states of this new revelation, that is change. Peter Kreeft says we will never stop learning in Heaven, that is change. Also, they have the potential to no longer exist (that is within God’s power), that is also change. This change in heaven is “measured” not in time but in Aeviternity. Aeviternity has a beginning, but no end. Eternity has no beginning or end. Before and after are compatible with aeviternity, but not with eternity.
As Peter Kreeft writes: “Eternity does not mean simply endless time; that would be boring. Nor does it mean something strictly timeless; that would be inhuman. Time is part of our consciousness, and God does not tear up his plan for us; rather, he fulfills and transforms it.” Note: Kreeft does not use the term Aeviternity, but reading his papers on Heaven it quickly becomes apparent that is what he refers.

Also, I have read, but cannot find the reference, that we will have work in heaven. Not toil, work. We were made to serve God and others, that what love is all about. That will not end. We will have bodies, there will be some material aspect to heaven, hence there will be change. Hence we will not be in eternity.
To me, its easier to envision eternity for God, than it is the aeviternity of angels and saints. Aeviternity allows for change, yet we will experience it as a whole. Even more difficult to understand, how does this fit in, precisely with material bodies? I have not found adequate answers.

Finally, I wonder if the damned will actually live in time, as opposed to aeviternity. Perhaps this is one of their sufferings.
 
I think you’re correct.

Creation will be restored as it was meant to be, before the Fall happened.

I think of heaven as Tolkien envisioned Valinor with its immortal beings.
 
This is a great post and clarifies a lot. Where does the term aeviternity come from? I haven’t heard it before.
It would take care of that feeling we often have of being rushed.
 
Last edited:
I did a quick search and found out it’s a theological theory of Albert the Great, the mentor of Thomas Aquinas. Very interesting stuff!!

I heard my priest talk about aeviternity before, refering to the Purgatory, but I didn’t know Heaven would apply as well.
 
Last edited:
Of course, we’re all just guessing, Because as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
 
@Viki63,

Yes we are just guessing. And that in and of itself is not a bad thing. And there are some reasons why we should do a little guessing. One is apologetics, the idea that we will just be floating in the clouds playing a harp for an infinite amount of time does not really help people come to the faith. Even on this thread, we have had the comments made that it could get dull in excitement pretty quick.

Here are some of the online resources about my previous post:
Thirty-five FAQs About Eternity by Peter Kreeft Kreeft does not use the term aeviternity, but it seems to line up with the concept pretty well IMO. For example he states we will never stop learning, this alone tells you we will not be in eternity. And the quote I gave above of Kreeft also supports this concept.
The Wikipedia page gives a little information Aevum - Wikipedia
And then, the most significant is Aquinas’s thoughts on the matter http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1010.htm (questions 5 and 6 )
Frank Sheed talked about aeviternity in his Theology and Sanity, I don’t have that book with me right now, and couldn’t find it in my book shelfs last night, but if I remember correctly he described it as much closer to eternity, except it as a beginning.
 
Last edited:
The concept of Aeviternity certainly lines up very well with the doctrine of purgatory. So I see why your priest brought it up.
It is interesting and in my mind rather surprising it is so unknown. I remember one high school religion teacher talking about it, but I never though of it again until I read Frank Sheed’s book a few years ago. Then I went and did a little research.
I think another benefit about considering this stull is it that understanding eternity, which I am not for sure I ever quite did until I researched aeviternity, helps us understand God and the way he works. The whole idea that we enter eternity at some point, that angels were created in eternity, immediately adds an aspect of change to God. It messes up the whole logic in my mind.
 
Friend, again you have to understand that God’s judgement is final and just. To say other wise would be blasphemy. Think about it.

Would it suck to see a loved one in hell? Absolutely, but going up to God and saying
hey big G, I think you made a mistake putting (loved one X) in hell
Shows you have no faith in His judgement or the mercies He gave said loved one throughout his/her life. Said loved one chose to put themselves in hell. God will show you why and you will than come to the same conclusion He did and get over it.
 
Last edited:
I wonder how ideas of Divinization fits into your idea? Is our " Divine Indwelling eternal."
And when they speak of Divine Union as our destination, does that suggest a level of autonomy?
 
@Maximus1 ,

Certainly the Scripture and the Church uses the term eternal and eternity to describe our existence in heaven: eg “so that we might have some share in your eternal life”. This is the best way to describe “without end” to anyone who is not going to take the time, and has no real need, to consider what this exactly means. It is the best linguistic approach for the Church’s teachings. Aquinas pretty much says the same:

" As God, although incorporeal, is named in Scripture metaphorically by corporeal names, so eternity though simultaneously whole, is called by names implying time and succession."

Or

Objection 4. Further, in eternity, there is no present, past or future, since it is simultaneously whole; as was said in the preceding article. But words denoting present, past and future time are applied to God in Scripture. Therefore God is not eternal.

…
Reply to Objection 4. Words denoting different times are applied to God, because His eternity includes all times; not as if He Himself were altered through present, past and future.

Perhaps its similiar to an St Augustine and St Athanasius saying “God became man so that man can become God”.
 
Last edited:
If a loved one is in hell then they are not the person you thought they were. They are somebody else. It is that simple. People don’t end up in hell by accident.

God is patient with us and he understands the gap between our thoughts and his thoughts, but we need to proactively work on having more faith in him and less faith in our feelings, because it’s immensely insulting, selfish, and inappropriate to put the feelings first.
 
Last edited:
My understanding is that the human mind, which is finite, cannot comprehend eternity. It won’t be reasoned.
 
One can only guess. I would hope that part of it would be to see the history of mankind replayed. I’d like to see who my ancestors were 1000 years ago. I’d like to see what the effects or prayers for people were. Who prayed for me. Maybe we’d see how our Guardian Angels helped us while on earth. I think those would be exciting mysteries to learn about in heaven.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top