What do we do in Heaven for eternity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prodigal1984
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Prodigal1984

Guest
We strive to go there. But besides seeing Christ face to face, the Beatific Vision, what do we do for eternity in Heaven? Do we have the pleasures we have on earth? Do we eat? (We must right? The supper of the Lamb?) Do we read? What do we do for eternity? I don’t want to say it could ever get boring but there must be activities we take part in. Is it sort of a utopia on earth where there is no death or pain etc?
 
Last edited:
I am not sure I can even begin to answer that question, as I cannot grasp what something which is out of time feels like. Your question about doing activities implies a sense of elapsing time. But eternity is outside of time.
 
Divine Liturgy 24/7
Praying for humans on earth 24/7
Maybe even support for the choirs of angels in their eternal tasks for the Lord

Things like that
 
Since time is a temporal construct, and eternity is not, it will be most likely like an endless ‘now’.

Eternity does not mean continuing day after day, week after week, year after year ‘up in the clouds’.

Since at the Second Coming we will then receive our bodies and thus be reunited to a sensory existence we will no doubt perceive and experience, but it will not be in the sense of time passing with my palm pilot having me pencilled in for pilates over on the St. John Paul II clouditorium every M W F from 10 o’clock Martian time to noon Rigel time. . .
 
In a way, I think of it like the Nexus from Star Trek Generations. Kirk was in the Nexus for 80 years but when Picard told him, Kirk really thought he just got there.
 
Considering that we can make almost any non-sinful activity a prayer by offering it to God, it seems reasonable to me that after the second coming we’ll be able to enjoy the positive pleasures of life, while simultaneously engaged in worship… I mean… it seems to me like the fact of physical existence would be a little pointless if we weren’t able to “live” in the new world and enjoy this creation.

No matter what I know we’ll be completely happy, but I really hope we’ll get to swim, hike, explore, and stuff like that. There’s a whole universe here that we’ll probably never see the whole of as long as humanity is around. It sounds like an awesome eternity to me to be able to explore the renewed universe. (Again, all while engaged in constant worship of God)
 
We will do as the angels do. Give glory and praise to God. To see God face to face and drink in His glory and majesty will fulfill every pleasure center we have. It will be better than all the best on earth put together and it will go on and on. We will not get tired of the pleasure.
 
We will do as the angels do. Give glory and praise to God. To see God face to face and drink in His glory and majesty will fulfill every pleasure center we have. It will be better than all the best on earth put together and it will go on and on. We will not get tired of the pleasure.
I understand that, but it still seems to me that the whole of creation is a little… pointless… if we don’t actively inhabit it. What differentiates the experience of God’s face while on Earth from the experience of Him in Heaven?

I feel that there is a real reason we were created as we are, physical and able to interact with God’s creation. That capacity seems intrinsic to our natures, and if so it would continue to be true after the new creation.
 
No offense but I feel like that could dull in excitement pretty quick…
 
We know that heaven includes a baseball game; after all, the Bible begins with “in the big inning.”

You’ll find me watching the divine ballgame with my dad, just to the third base side behind home plate.
 
Not offended. We are trying to comprehend the incomprehensible. I think everyone can paint their own picture. Whatever perfect happiness looks like! 🤔
 
Trying to get my mind around “God’s face while on earth”!

Doesn’t it say that all things will pass away? I’ll have to look that up.
 
We strive to go there. But besides seeing Christ face to face, the Beatific Vision, what do we do for eternity in Heaven? Do we have the pleasures we have on earth? Do we eat? (We must right? The supper of the Lamb?) Do we read? What do we do for eternity? I don’t want to say it could ever get boring but there must be activities we take part in. Is it sort of a utopia on earth where there is no death or pain etc?
It will be like being at the most beautiful Mass you have ever been at, but 24/7 🙂
 
Yes, all this will pass away, but there will be a new creation at the second coming where we’ll all be reunited with our bodies and live physically forever. We’ll still enjoy the presence of God, that is the nature of Heaven, but we will do so on whatever the Earth becomes.
 
The creator of the universe has promised great things! What else do we need to know? If we can be thrilled at adoration or the reception of the Sacraments, just imagine being in the presence of that same triune God - we will know Him as He is. Ponder that one for a few.

Not even talking about the Saints.

OK. Imagine the most thrilling, awe-inspiring experience you have ever had. Multiply that times, oh, 1000X and then freeze the clock.

That is your new reality. Except I grossly underestimate.
 
.
Heaven does not mean living forever. Everyone lives forever, good men and evil. Heaven is about something else.
Seeing God will blow our mind. We will never tire of seeing him. In fact, God is infinite, and we will never plumb the depths of His reality no matter long long we see Him as He is.
According to the theologians, the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son, who pouring out infinite love for one another, produce the Holy Spirit eternally. Seeing such love is beyond our imagination and we could only see it with great delight.
In fact, everything about heaven will give men endless deiight.
Time as we know it will not exist in heaven, but we will live always in total realization of all we can be.
 
Last edited:
Matthew 24:35. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. I was always told we will get glorified bodies in heaven. I don’t know what this all means. If I get there I expect to be surprised.
 
I want to go fishing with Jesus.

I don’t know why. Never been fishing in my life (think it is quite cruel) and I’m a vegetarian. I just imagine being on a crystal clear lake in a rowing boat with mountains and woods around us. And I’m just talking and fishing (but not harming any fishes) with Jesus. Sometimes, I will lie back in the boat and doze off in the warmth but he is always there when I wake up.

No idea where this scene comes from. I think I must have seen it in a movie somewhere.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top