What happens when they start drafting women?

• Thread starter Thread starter gnjsdad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
gnjsdad:
I think I’m a victim of my own naivete here. For that, I can only blame myself.
In all candor, a great deal of yur discontent can be summed up with that statement. I have posted before about those who come into forums with “unreal expectations” – they are always disappointed.

You have to finally come to the conclusion that your own disappointment is because people didn’t live up to your expectations - forums don’t work that way. Never have, never will.
40.png
gnjsdad:
We as Catholics ought to be aware of the moral implications of this.

I believe these are moral issues which Catholics will be forced to grapple with, should a draft return. The ease with which conservatives accept the status quo makes me fearful that if the draft returns, that women will also be taken.

If anyone disagrees with me on these issues, give reasons why.
Most of what you say boils down to two separate issues – at present we have a volunteer army - that is people make a contractual agreement with the service – both sides need to live up their portions of that agreement so all the weeping and wailing about mothers on long deployments, etc. is a consequence of someone else’s personal choices, which although you may not agree with, or like, are theirs. These women knew what they were doing, when they did it, and now their turn has come to fulfill their portion of the agreement. End of story.

The second is women in combat; you live in a nation where women’s groups insisted, demanded and sued to get what they called this “right” - It then follows, their responsibiities are the same as men when it comes to serving the nation. It is not about “war” - it is about whether one group of people can demand one thing only part of the time, but when it comes time to fulfil the responsibiity end of it all of a sudeen it becomes abhorrent or overwhelming.

Frankly if the issue came up tomorrow in a court, you will have women’s groups in this country screaming, yelling and suing again should you attempt to deny this right. Unfortunately it’s the legal mish mash we are all living through with these “rights” groups. In this issue, it isn’t about the draft, it’s about women’s rights as they are now perceived in this politically charged climate - just look at the situation with the President of Harvard - they are calling for his head because he stated aloud a simple observation.
40.png
gnjsdad:
In the short time I’ve been here, my motives have been impugned (“supports Bin Laden”; “supports suicide bombers”); my character assaulted (“selfish”; “coward”; “dangerous”; “unpatriotic”); my patriotism hijacked (“no right to be called an American”)…
That’s the “how” of forums - if you ask for opinions you’re going to get them and most do feel that if you can’t have your family pay the price for the benefits of being an American, then you shouldn’t weep at the cost end of the deal. Parents of sons weep just as long, suffer just as much when losing their child as do parents of girls.
40.png
gnjsdad:
This is standard chat room stuff, and I’d hoped I’d found a site where that was frowned on.

I did not expect such a lack of charity on the Catholic Answers website. So, yes, militarist vitriol sounds accurate to me.
I hope we do continue to allow posters to say what they think and why. The world is too politically correct as it is. As far as a lack of charity, I’d rather be told the truth than I would be lied to. No one here has any obligation to agree with you, to kitchy koo you, – civility should always be striven for, but charity isn’t usually in over abundance in political forums or discussions. That’s just how it is in life.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
I hope we do continue to allow posters to say what they think and why. The world is too politically correct as it is. As far as a lack of charity, I’d rather be told the truth than I would be lied to. No one here has any obligation to agree with you, to kitchy koo you, – civility should always be striven for, but charity isn’t usually in over abundance in political forums or discussions. That’s just how it is in life.
What she said!! I hope to learn one day how to communicate my ideas without coming across as hostile, yet still being true to my ideals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back