What is a third order?

• Thread starter Thread starter Atk_Aheeni
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not mean to imply that Franciscans are not encourged to enter into contemplation, only that, as I understand it and am willing to be corrected, that is not emphasized as much for Franciscans as it is for Carmelites.
That’s possible – I’m not familiar with the lay Carmelite orders. For Franciscans, it should be about a 50-50 split – active/contemplative. That’s pretty much the way Francis did it. 🙂

**Crazy Internet Junkies Society
**Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
Pace e Bene 🙂

I was confused by this when I started researching Franciscan Third Orders, but know that I am starting the process of entering SFO I have a clearer picture of the situation.

Third Order Franciscans and Secular Franciscans are not the same thing. I am still trying to get a good history of all the details of the differences but the main difference is that Third Order Franciscans TEND to be priests and nuns that may live in a community but they tend to live a more secular existance then the First Order or Second Order Franciscans.

SFO is primarily made up of lay people that wish to follow Franciscan spirituality. Priests/deacons/bishops, etc. that aren’t part of a religious orders can be members of SFO.

Both Third Order Franciscans and SFO trace their history back to the Third Order created by Saint Francis himself.
Thank you! That makes a lot more sense to me now. So basically, if I wanted to follow the spirituality of the community of nuns that were at my school, I could join a SFO; and I would not have to become a nun, which would be the requirement for the Third Order Franciscans.

:yup: :yup: Also,if both partners feel called, the SFO is a great spirituality for a married couple to explore.

That’s possible – I’m not familiar with the lay Carmelite orders. For Franciscans, it should be about a 50-50 split – active/contemplative. That’s pretty much the way Francis did it. 🙂

Pace e Bene 🙂
I am in the process of becomming a Lay Carmelite and what attracted me to them was that the charism given to the Carmelites is contemplation. What is the specific charism as detailed in the Rule for Franciscans?

I am in the process of becomming a Lay Carmelite and what attracted me to them was that the charism given to the Carmelites is contemplation. What is the specific charism as detailed in the Rule for Franciscans?
After reading more about this order and the Charism of the Carmelites and prayer I am coming close to thinking of joining this order as well. Although I do alot things they have rules of the couple things i dont do i want to start practising before I talk to anyone about joining. I am going to start with the Lectio Divina.

After reading more about this order and the Charism of the Carmelites and prayer I am coming close to thinking of joining this order as well. Although I do alot things they have rules of the couple things i dont do i want to start practising before I talk to anyone about joining. I am going to start with the Lectio Divina.
Lectio Divina is an excellent practice, and highly recommended for lay Carmelites, which many do for their daily half hour of mental prayer. We even do it in community at our monthly meetings.

We also pray the Liturgy of the Hours. In particular, the Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Night Prayer.

The best way to get a sense of what the Secular Franciscans are all about is to read their rule, which I’ve linked to, below. It’s four pages – sounds like a lot, but it’s just 26 short articles.

Rule of the Secular Franciscan Order

Pace e Bene 🙂

I encourage you to research the different orders and figure what the different spiritualities are about. Becoming a member of a Third Order is not like joining a club like the Knights of Columbus. A Third Order is a way of life. You have to determine which order you are being called to. Research Franciscan spirituality vs. Carmelite spirituality. Talk to people in both. Attend meetings of both if you are interested in both. Read books on both. Read the rules of both.

I know SFO requires that you attend at least 3 meetings before you can even start any type of formation. I don’t know whether the Carmelites have the same thing, but use it to your advantage.

As was mentioned before if you are married and your spouse feels a calling to this, invite them along on your journy. They may find that they are not called to an order or a different order, but they can benifit from this also.

I know people in several different Third orders and Franciscan spirituality was the only one that interested me. Different people will have different paths.

They can attend information meetings together and have a prayer partner for the Liturgy of the Hours.:hmmm:
I think what the person was getting as is that most people don’t realize that most secular Orders are for both males and females and that if both husband and wife are called, they can both join the same secular order.

The Lay Carmelites allow those interested in knowing more about the order to attend meetings. They are assigned a mentor, and given some literature and a tape to listen to. This can help them discern whether they would like to go further.

Some of those interested just know right away they were meant to be there, while others may take a longer time to discern.

I figured it was not a club when I read the part where it calls it a Third Order. I just never knew that existed. I read some things on the franciscan third order and the dominican third order as far as the Carmelite Order it has alot of standards I already practice. I am no Angel but I try to do the right thing. We will see how it goes.

The Lay Carmelites allow those interested in knowing more about the order to attend meetings. They are assigned a mentor, and given some literature and a tape to listen to. This can help them discern whether they would like to go further.

Some of those interested just know right away they were meant to be there, while others may take a longer time to discern.
I still feel very drawn to it.I know there would be a few things i need to work out with myself but isnt that a part of religon

I still feel very drawn to it.I know there would be a few things i need to work out with myself but isnt that a part of religon
None of us in the Lay Carmelites feel we have “arrived” at any special place in our spiritual journey. It is the desire to go on the journey that counts! And, being in a like-minded community is inspiring.

One of the lay Carmelites in our community recently left to join the Benedictines (I don’t know if she will get the permission to switch). When I heard this news I also was told that you don’t have to be Catholic to be a Benedictine Oblate. I was wondering if that was true? I’m just a little curious about that.
It does happen that occasionally someone has discerned wrongly about a community they should be in. With the help of the superiors in the Benedictines, hopefully, that person can be directed if that is where they should be.

And, yes, it is true that Christians of other denominations can follow the rule of St. Benedict as oblates. Of course, they don’t receive the Eucharist at Mass.

So do people who are members of Secular Third Orders wear the habits of a monk? And i know this was touched on earlier but I am still slightly confused, but if one is part of a Third Order is he or she referred to as Br. ______ or Sr. ______ as part of their name?

Thanks!

So do people who are members of Secular Third Orders wear the habits of a monk? And i know this was touched on earlier but I am still slightly confused, but if one is part of a Third Order is he or she referred to as Br. ______ or Sr. ______ as part of their name?

Thanks!
I belong to the Lay Carmelite Third Order, and we call each other by our first names. At our monthly meetings, and other special Carmelite gatherings we wear a large brown Ceremonial Scapular which is approximately 6 x 8 inches, over our regular clothing.

We have the option of being buried in the full habit, or the large Ceremonial Scapular over our clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back