Not open for further replies.
So, the 3 main 3rd orders for married people I see talked about here are
-Carmelite
-Franciscan
-Dominican (someone gave links above)

Any others that are known about?

Are there 3rd order Jesuits?

Dorothy,

Thanks. Yes…I was a 15 year old Baptist kid in Oklahoma reading the Lay Carmelite Rule. I remember saying to my Grandma I think -that “this is what I want to be --something like this one” or something of that sort.

Later when I was 16-17 I was very Franciscan --so I wanted to be a Franciscan Tertiary…then When I finally became a Catholic at 18…I did not prosue it. But three years later I became a Trinitarian Tertiary. So I am a Tertiary of the Order of the Holy Trinity and Captives founded in 1198 to ransom Christian Captives taked by the muslems. Our Motto is Glory to the Trinity and Liberty to Captives --which sums up our Charism.

I also did for my thesis in Theology at Steubenville --on the Theology of the Third Order Seculars

Kevin, O.SS.T.,Ter.
Thanks you for sharing that Kevin. Now, I have just heard of another third order that I have not heard of before!

May the Lord bless you on your journey!

-Carmelite
-Franciscan

No Jesuits --though I think they do have lay associates…

Some Main Historical ones:

Franciscan
Trinitarian
Carmelite
Discalced Carmelite
Mercedarians
Augustinians
Augustinian Recollects
Servites
Dominicans

Oh and
Premonstratensian

Thanks you for sharing that Kevin. Now, I have just heard of another third order that I have not heard of before!

May the Lord bless you on your journey!
Your welcome! Say some prayers for me… 😉

By the way the Discaled Carmelites had a big influence on the Reform of our order in the 16th cent…by St. John Baptist of the Conception…

-Carmelite
-Franciscan

You have probably named the three most well-known third orders, but I am sure there are more, including the one that “ECAT” (Kevin) belongs to.

Oblates of St. Benedict are also found in many areas. They are attached to a Monastery Abbey which they visit once a year, and they live according to the Rule of St. Benedict. Oblates can be of other Christian denominations, but of course they do not go to Mass or receive the Sacraments as Catholics do.

I do not know if there are Jesuit third orders - have never heard of such a thing, but I can always be surprised.

You have probably named the three most well-known third orders, but I am sure there are more, including the one that “ECAT” (Kevin) belongs to.

Oblates of St. Benedict are also found in many areas. They are attached to a Monastery Abbey which they visit once a year, and they live according to the Rule of St. Benedict. Oblates can be of other Christian denominations, but of course they do not go to Mass or receive the Sacraments as Catholics do.

I do not know if there are Jesuit third orders - have never heard of such a thing, but I can always be surprised.
Interesting for B. Oblates out there is that they came on the scene long before tertiaries…They predate us! But they are as mentioned attached to only one Monastary, where as tertiaries are usually member of the Order. Oblates imitate the Monks “vow of stability” and belong to one Monastary. I guess they are “more stable then us” 🙂

Your welcome! Say some prayers for me… 😉

By the way the Discaled Carmelites had a big influence on the Reform of our order in the 16th cent…by St. John Baptist of the Conception…
I am a member of the Carmelites of the Ancient Order, (O. Carm.) but do know many Secular Discalced Carmelites.(O.C.D.S.) The two branches seem to be gradually coming together in ways they never have before. Conferences, and publishing certain guidelines with regard to the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, are some areas. I know that the spirit and charism of the two orders have the same roots.

I meant to mention before…how great is that, that you went to Steubenville! I was so happy to hear about that school many years ago. Would that all Catholic colleges were like that!

Interesting that you wrote on the theology of the third orders!

Peace and Prayers,

Dorothy

I am a member of the Carmelites of the Ancient Order, (O. Carm.) but do know many Secular Discalced Carmelites.(O.C.D.S.) The two branches seem to be gradually coming together in ways they never have before. Conferences, and publishing certain guidelines with regard to the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, are some areas. I know that the spirit and charism of the two orders have the same roots.

I meant to mention before…how great is that, that you went to Steubenville! I was so happy to hear about that school many years ago. Would that all Catholic colleges were like that!

Interesting that you wrote on the theology of the third orders!

Peace and Prayers,

Dorothy
Thanks!

yes a great School. And of course I had friends there who where Carmelite Tertiaries and of course some Franciscan Tertiaries!

So do people who are members of Secular Third Orders wear the habits of a monk? And i know this was touched on earlier but I am still slightly confused, but if one is part of a Third Order is he or she referred to as Br. ______ or Sr. ______ as part of their name?

Thanks!
Also it is interesting to note that were certainly “tertiary habits” of the larger sort (full tunic, belt, full Scapular). Over time, with the change in culture etc most use only the small scapular as a norm and the larger one on the outside of thier clothing for meetings etc. Though it is possible to get permission to wear a more full tertiary habit In public. … this is rare that it would be done today --since the emphasis is on it being a “secular” vocation and it would cause confusion.

It is still often a possibility to be buried in the full tertiary habit too.

Also on a day to day basis you may see a pin on tertiaires clothing too (or a medal or necklace) —such as the coat of arms for the carmelites(s) or the Tau for Franciscans or the Trinitarian Cross for Trinitarians, or a cross for Dominicans or the shield for Mercidarians etc

Kevin, O.SS.T.,Ter.

-Carmelite
-Franciscan
The third orders aren’t only for married people – single people can be in them, too. For the Secular Franciscans, celibacy is required if one is single, but married people are simply to practice chastity as it is defined within the marriage relationship.

**Crazy Internet Junkies Society
**Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
Pace e Bene
🙂

My parish is a Franciscan parish and the priests are TORs. I’m thinking that stands for Third Order Regular and they are a religious order.

Am I correct?

My parish is a Franciscan parish and the priests are TORs. I’m thinking that stands for Third Order Regular and they are a religious order.

Am I correct?
Yes, they are a religious order, not seculars.

That’s why secular Franciscans are no longer called “third order Franciscans” – so as not to confuse them with the TOR.

Here’s a web site you can check out:

franciscanfriarstor.com/

**Crazy Internet Junkies Society
**Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
Pace e Bene
🙂

Also it is interesting to note that were certainly “tertiary habits” of the larger sort (full tunic, belt, full Scapular). Over time, with the change in culture etc most use only the small scapular as a norm and the larger one on the outside of thier clothing for meetings etc. Though it is possible to get permission to wear a more full tertiary habit In public. … this is rare that it would be done today --since the emphasis is on it being a “secular” vocation and it would cause confusion.

It is still often a possibility to be buried in the full tertiary habit too.

Also on a day to day basis you may see a pin on tertiaires clothing too (or a medal or necklace) —such as the coat of arms for the carmelites(s) or the Tau for Franciscans or the Trinitarian Cross for Trinitarians, or a cross for Dominicans or the shield for Mercidarians etc

Kevin, O.SS.T.,Ter.
Thank you! Oh and Ecat, I just visited the website for the Trinitarians after reading you initial post. I have to say that was, well inspiring. I am certainly going to be doing some further reading into your Order!

Third Order follow a rule approved by vatican. It is an order and not an organization.

The SFO is a third order but they do not vow in in PCO (poverty, chastity, obedience). They made a promise and not a vow.

The Life of SFO is both Active and Contemplative.

I just want to emphasize that the third orders are equal to the first order though with regards to spiritual assistance the 3rd order is depending on the priests of the order either 1st or 3rd order.

SFO is open to all Catholics Men and women, and diocesan priests. They have at least 3 years of formation before Profession and continuous formation after profession.

All these years I never met anyone or heard of a third order. Learn something new everyday.
As it is all about enriching the interior life of a soul…it is not something people generally discuss…growing up in the 60s and 70s I never knew of the existance of this state…it is a beautiful oportunity for those who want to do more…

as a third order member I have responsibilities but not under the pain of sin, I receive letters from the spiritual director. My badge and crucifix I received on my profession are my most treasured possessions…and a constant reminder of what my duties are…

I hope you find what you are looking for and maybe you will consider an order for yourself…

Hi! I’m a new member and I noticed this topic. I am a member of the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelite (OCDS) here in the Philippines. We were formerly called Third Order of Discalced Carmelites but the term “Third Order” was channged to “Secular Order” because as part of the whole Discalced Carmelite Order we share equally with the Discalced Carmelite Friars (priests and religious brothers) and the nuns the Charism of the Order but we have different expressions of the Charism. It is the role of the OCDS to keep the Carmelite Charism alive in the family and in the workplace. The three branches enrich each other.

The OCDS is open to both married and single individuals. Although part of the promise we make after undergoing several years of formation include CHASTITY, it doesn’t mean those who are single among us could no longer get married. In some areas of the Philippines some Diocesan Priests have joined the OCDS.

As one of the replies above said, joining the OCDS (or any of the Third Order for that matter) is not like joinig a club or an organization. It is a vocation - much the same as that of the friars and the nuns. It is a way of life. This is why before making the promise of Obedience, Poverty, Chastity for the rest of our lives (our Definitive Promise) we have to undergo a period of formation. And we continue to have ongoing formation even after making our Definitive Promise.

Do Third Order Dominicans have a greater chance of getting out of purgatory sooner than other Third Orders for the simple reason that since there are more Dominicans that there are more people praying for them after they die than in other orders?

They write: “We were formerly called Third Order of Discalced Carmelites but the term “Third Order” was channged to “Secular Order” because as part of the whole Discalced Carmelite Order we share equally with the Discalced Carmelite Friars (priests and religious brothers) and the nuns the Charism of the Order but we have different expressions of the Charism.”

It may be the case that part of the motive for changing the name from third order to secular order was to remove confusion of thinking that they were not equally sharing in the charism–but this it is not I would suggest the case that the term ‘third order’ --per se infers that a tertiary did not share fully in the charism.

Third order and secular order are equivilant terms…infact often they are used together in the past (and present) such as “third order secular” or “secular third order”.

Canon law itself from 1983 says that they are called “third orders” or some equivilant name…CIC 303.

So they are interchangeable. The emphisis on the term ‘secular’ brings out quite nicely the ‘secular character’ of tertiaries which Vatican II and Pope John Paul’s CL–highlighted…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back