What is exactly and precisely "invincible ignorance"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nahar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Ammi:
But not after being convinced He is a Trinity.
That is precisely the point. You can only believe something if you are convinced of it. You cannot simply will yourself to believe something.
Pope Benedict XVI, at the time, Cardinal Ratzinger, wrote:
For this reason, the distinction between theological faith and belief in other religions must be firmly held. If faith is the acceptance in grace of revealed truth, which “makes it possible to penetrate the mystery in a way that allows us to understand it coherently”,21 then belief, in the other religions, is that sum of experience and thought that constitutes the human treasury of wisdom and religious aspiration, which man in his search for truth has conceived and acted upon in his relationship to God and the Absolute.22

This distinction is not always borne in mind in current theological reflection. Thus, theological faith (the acceptance of the truth revealed by the One and Triune God) is often identified with belief in other religions, which is religious experience still in search of the absolute truth and still lacking assent to God who reveals himself. This is one of the reasons why the differences between Christianity and other religions tend to be reduced at times to the point of disappearance. (Dominus Iesus, 7)
 
There is nothing illogical about that. It is an example of a belief. There may be no evidence for it but it is not illogical. It is an example of a belief you cannot will yourself to hold. It would be similar to asking a non-Catholic to will herself to believe that what is chemically, physically, visually etc. a piece of bread is actually bodily flesh. To believe this one must be convinced; it is not possible to will oneself to believe it.
No. Please stay focused on the Gospel. We arent discussing Transubstantiation.

Transubstantiation can ONLY be accepted after one accepts the Gospel and seeks Baptism. Eucharist is the result of accepting the Gospel.
 
Last edited:
You choose Hell and eternal separation from God by committing a mortal sin and dying unrepentant.
Is that a joke?? You are talking nonsense. I never said anything like that. How on earth can you read such stupidity into my comment.
Obviously nobody is saved at birth. That’s why the Church wants infants baptised as soon as possible.
Please think before you talk!!!
 
Ok. I was mistaken. Sorry.

The OP is not Baptized, right?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for this interesting discussion! I’ll give my final thoughts and then no longer comment unless asked.

I suppose someone could brainwash themselves into a belief. I hardly think that’s what ant Christian wants of someone. I had tried the fake it till you make it school of thought and it failed.

I’ve read the Gospels and the rest of the NT several times and even participated in bible study groups. I loved many of its parts. I loved many of its messages but it never rang true for me. I understood what it was saying and asking for and while I have no problem saying, Of course, we should love our neighbor as ourselves. Of course, we should feed the hungry, welcome the stranger, share our gifts, etc. The story of Jesus, his miraculous birth, He being God on earth, and finally His resurrection, I was unable to believe it was anything other than a pious story. The death for our sins never made sense. Us needing a sacrifice for sin never made sense. His returning sooner or later never made sense. None of the theology made sense to me. It just never rang TRUE.

I’m sorry, I don’t try to bring my beliefs in here often. I’m a guest and I’m here to learn your beliefs, not mine. But you really can not believe something without believing it’s true. I’d like to think I’m not hopeless. I don’t fear Hell nor hope for heaven. To me, it’s wishful thinking and without evidence I’d accept. Your beliefs are often comforting and I admire your commitment to anti abortion and charity and eliminating the death penalty. I just can not make myself believe them.
 
Thanks for this interesting discussion! I’ll give my final thoughts and then no longer comment unless asked.

I suppose someone could brainwash themselves into a belief. I hardly think that’s what ant Christian wants of someone. I had tried the fake it till you make it school of thought and it failed.

I’ve read the Gospels and the rest of the NT several times and even participated in bible study groups. I loved many of its parts. I loved many of its messages but it never rang true for me. I understood what it was saying and asking for and while I have no problem saying, Of course, we should love our neighbor as ourselves. Of course, we should feed the hungry, welcome the stranger, share our gifts, etc. The story of Jesus, his miraculous birth, He being God on earth, and finally His resurrection, I was unable to believe it was anything other than a pious story. The death for our sins never made sense. Us needing a sacrifice for sin never made sense. His returning sooner or later never made sense. None of the theology made sense to me. It just never rang TRUE.

I’m sorry, I don’t try to bring my beliefs in here often. I’m a guest and I’m here to learn your beliefs, not mine. But you really can not believe something without believing it’s true. I’d like to think I’m not hopeless. I don’t fear Hell nor hope for heaven. To me, it’s wishful thinking and without evidence I’d accept. Your beliefs are often comforting and I admire your commitment to anti abortion and charity and eliminating the death penalty. I just can not make myself believe them.
That is the Gospel… the best and most important part. The rest relies on that.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for this interesting discussion! I’ll give my final thoughts and then no longer comment unless asked.

I suppose someone could brainwash themselves into a belief. I hardly think that’s what ant Christian wants of someone. I had tried the fake it till you make it school of thought and it failed.

I’ve read the Gospels and the rest of the NT several times and even participated in bible study groups. I loved many of its parts. I loved many of its messages but it never rang true for me. I understood what it was saying and asking for and while I have no problem saying, Of course, we should love our neighbor as ourselves. Of course, we should feed the hungry, welcome the stranger, share our gifts, etc. The story of Jesus, his miraculous birth, He being God on earth, and finally His resurrection, I was unable to believe it was anything other than a pious story.
St Paul, had the following argument as to why we believe what we do.

HERE

If that didn’t happen we’ve been massively played. If that didn’t happen We’re the biggest fools on the planet.

Point being, lots of eye witnesses saw Jesus after He resurrected from the dead. AND they saw Him ascend back to heaven. We believe because Jesus is true
40.png
Pattylt:
I’m sorry, I don’t try to bring my beliefs in here often. I’m a guest and I’m here to learn your beliefs, not mine. But you really can not believe something without believing it’s true. I’d like to think I’m not hopeless. I don’t fear Hell nor hope for heaven. To me, it’s wishful thinking and without evidence I’d accept. Your beliefs are often comforting and I admire your commitment to anti abortion and charity and eliminating the death penalty. I just can not make myself believe them.
Don’t give up

AND

Don’t forget to be that MASSIVE PEST. Keep storming heaven with your prayers and requests…without stopping. It will show your perseverance in a positive way. 😆 and maybe the illumination comes when you least expect it.
 
Last edited:
Again, the scripture is not accepted as an authority for non-Christians.
Again, Merely Stating the obvious POV of an atheist/agnostic/non-Christian.

Yep… Maybe you are invincibly ignorant…

Anything else ?
 
HERE

If that didn’t happen we’ve been massively played. If that didn’t happen We’re the biggest fools on the planet.
Your words are too harsh. There are many legends in the world. Some people take them seriously, but that does not mean anything special. It only means that there are people who believe something based upon insufficient evidence. No one calls them liars, or fools.

You don’t call the adherents of other religions either fools or liars. You say that they are mistaken. Maybe you say that they are gullible. But not “fools” or “liars”.
Point being, lots of eye witnesses saw Jesus after He resurrected from the dead. AND they saw Him ascend back to heaven. We believe because Jesus is true
The usual phrase of “Liar, lunatic or Lord”… needs a fourth option: “legend”.
 
40.png
steve-b:
HERE

If that didn’t happen we’ve been massively played. If that didn’t happen We’re the biggest fools on the planet.
Your words are too harsh. There are many legends in the world. Some people take them seriously, but that does not mean anything special. It only means that there are people who believe something based upon insufficient evidence. No one calls them liars, or fools.
Paul said that we are to be the most pitied if it wasn’t true. MOST PITIED of all people… That’s pretty bad
40.png
Lys:
You don’t call the adherents of other religions either fools or liars. You say that they are mistaken. Maybe you say that they are gullible. But not “fools” or “liars”.
I kept it to what Paul said.
Point being, lots of eye witnesses saw Jesus after He resurrected from the dead. AND they saw Him ascend back to heaven. We believe because Jesus is true
40.png
Lys:
The usual phrase of “Liar, lunatic or Lord”… needs a fourth option: “legend”.
Nope!

That’s been debunked.
 
Last edited:
Point being, lots of eye witnesses saw Jesus after He resurrected from the dead. AND they saw Him ascend back to heaven. We believe because Jesus is true
Easily many 1000’s …

And not a one of his enemies ever denied His Existence nor “Miracles” barring the Resurrection

Not even Mohammed denies His Existence - for, everyone back when knew…

Whether folks accepted Him as God’s Son - is another subject

_)
 
But the issue is whether the Gospel is rejected and disbelieved.
Bingo…

Which primarily goes right on back to the object-lesson shown by those whom Jesus preached to:

Some Joyfully accepted Him… and others rejected Him to the point of killing Him

)
 
Last edited:
40.png
steve-b:
Because you don’t declare the adherents of those religions to be either fools or liars. They are simply considered to be mistaken, and as such their beliefs are simply “legends”.
When I quoted Paul, Who was Paul writing to?
40.png
Lys:
On that “detailed explanation” we can end this dialog.
On your lack of detail, I say OK. Because there was no dialogue
 
Last edited:
Because there was no dialogue
Indeed. I simply pointed out that the list of “liar, lunatic or Lord”, needs to be expanded to include “legend”. You said that this has been “debunked”. Now, how can a suggestion be “debunked” is beyond me. So our dialog needs to be abandoned, because you said nothing which is worth to be considered.

All the mythologies of the yore are based on the same platform, unsubstantiated beliefs. All of them are believed to be true by some people. And the same people discard the the ones held by others. There is a very good expression, which says: “Who are the people who belong to a religious sect? Answer: Everyone, who goes to the church next to yours.” There was a time, when everyone was called “infidel”, if they subscribed to a different religion.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top