S
steve-b
Guest
From what you were taught, in your formation,I know the arguments…
Were you taught
- a messiah was coming ergo needed
- we needed a savior
Last edited:
From what you were taught, in your formation,I know the arguments…
“It’s like asking me to believe gravity doesn’t apply to me. I just can not make myself believe that I’ll float”What illogical proposition are you referring to?
Pope Benedict XVI, at the time, Cardinal Ratzinger, wrote:Ammi:![]()
That is precisely the point. You can only believe something if you are convinced of it. You cannot simply will yourself to believe something.But not after being convinced He is a Trinity.
For this reason, the distinction between theological faith and belief in other religions must be firmly held. If faith is the acceptance in grace of revealed truth, which “makes it possible to penetrate the mystery in a way that allows us to understand it coherently”,21 then belief, in the other religions, is that sum of experience and thought that constitutes the human treasury of wisdom and religious aspiration, which man in his search for truth has conceived and acted upon in his relationship to God and the Absolute.22
This distinction is not always borne in mind in current theological reflection. Thus, theological faith (the acceptance of the truth revealed by the One and Triune God) is often identified with belief in other religions, which is religious experience still in search of the absolute truth and still lacking assent to God who reveals himself. This is one of the reasons why the differences between Christianity and other religions tend to be reduced at times to the point of disappearance. (Dominus Iesus, 7)
No. Please stay focused on the Gospel. We arent discussing Transubstantiation.There is nothing illogical about that. It is an example of a belief. There may be no evidence for it but it is not illogical. It is an example of a belief you cannot will yourself to hold. It would be similar to asking a non-Catholic to will herself to believe that what is chemically, physically, visually etc. a piece of bread is actually bodily flesh. To believe this one must be convinced; it is not possible to will oneself to believe it.
Is that a joke?? You are talking nonsense. I never said anything like that. How on earth can you read such stupidity into my comment.You choose Hell and eternal separation from God by committing a mortal sin and dying unrepentant.
Obviously nobody is saved at birth. That’s why the Church wants infants baptised as soon as possible.
Please think before you talk!!!
That is the Gospel… the best and most important part. The rest relies on that.Thanks for this interesting discussion! I’ll give my final thoughts and then no longer comment unless asked.
I suppose someone could brainwash themselves into a belief. I hardly think that’s what ant Christian wants of someone. I had tried the fake it till you make it school of thought and it failed.
I’ve read the Gospels and the rest of the NT several times and even participated in bible study groups. I loved many of its parts. I loved many of its messages but it never rang true for me. I understood what it was saying and asking for and while I have no problem saying, Of course, we should love our neighbor as ourselves. Of course, we should feed the hungry, welcome the stranger, share our gifts, etc. The story of Jesus, his miraculous birth, He being God on earth, and finally His resurrection, I was unable to believe it was anything other than a pious story. The death for our sins never made sense. Us needing a sacrifice for sin never made sense. His returning sooner or later never made sense. None of the theology made sense to me. It just never rang TRUE.
I’m sorry, I don’t try to bring my beliefs in here often. I’m a guest and I’m here to learn your beliefs, not mine. But you really can not believe something without believing it’s true. I’d like to think I’m not hopeless. I don’t fear Hell nor hope for heaven. To me, it’s wishful thinking and without evidence I’d accept. Your beliefs are often comforting and I admire your commitment to anti abortion and charity and eliminating the death penalty. I just can not make myself believe them.
St Paul, had the following argument as to why we believe what we do.Thanks for this interesting discussion! I’ll give my final thoughts and then no longer comment unless asked.
I suppose someone could brainwash themselves into a belief. I hardly think that’s what ant Christian wants of someone. I had tried the fake it till you make it school of thought and it failed.
I’ve read the Gospels and the rest of the NT several times and even participated in bible study groups. I loved many of its parts. I loved many of its messages but it never rang true for me. I understood what it was saying and asking for and while I have no problem saying, Of course, we should love our neighbor as ourselves. Of course, we should feed the hungry, welcome the stranger, share our gifts, etc. The story of Jesus, his miraculous birth, He being God on earth, and finally His resurrection, I was unable to believe it was anything other than a pious story.
Don’t give upI’m sorry, I don’t try to bring my beliefs in here often. I’m a guest and I’m here to learn your beliefs, not mine. But you really can not believe something without believing it’s true. I’d like to think I’m not hopeless. I don’t fear Hell nor hope for heaven. To me, it’s wishful thinking and without evidence I’d accept. Your beliefs are often comforting and I admire your commitment to anti abortion and charity and eliminating the death penalty. I just can not make myself believe them.
Again, Merely Stating the obvious POV of an atheist/agnostic/non-Christian.Again, the scripture is not accepted as an authority for non-Christians.
Your words are too harsh. There are many legends in the world. Some people take them seriously, but that does not mean anything special. It only means that there are people who believe something based upon insufficient evidence. No one calls them liars, or fools.HERE
If that didn’t happen we’ve been massively played. If that didn’t happen We’re the biggest fools on the planet.
The usual phrase of “Liar, lunatic or Lord”… needs a fourth option: “legend”.Point being, lots of eye witnesses saw Jesus after He resurrected from the dead. AND they saw Him ascend back to heaven. We believe because Jesus is true
Paul said that we are to be the most pitied if it wasn’t true. MOST PITIED of all people… That’s pretty badsteve-b:![]()
Your words are too harsh. There are many legends in the world. Some people take them seriously, but that does not mean anything special. It only means that there are people who believe something based upon insufficient evidence. No one calls them liars, or fools.HERE
If that didn’t happen we’ve been massively played. If that didn’t happen We’re the biggest fools on the planet.
I kept it to what Paul said.You don’t call the adherents of other religions either fools or liars. You say that they are mistaken. Maybe you say that they are gullible. But not “fools” or “liars”.
Point being, lots of eye witnesses saw Jesus after He resurrected from the dead. AND they saw Him ascend back to heaven. We believe because Jesus is true
Nope!The usual phrase of “Liar, lunatic or Lord”… needs a fourth option: “legend”.
Easily many 1000’s …Point being, lots of eye witnesses saw Jesus after He resurrected from the dead. AND they saw Him ascend back to heaven. We believe because Jesus is true
Fine. But don’t expect that it is relevant for others.Paul said that we are to be the most pitied if it wasn’t true. MOST PITIED of all people… That’s pretty bad
I kept it to what Paul said.
Really?Nope!
That’s been debunked.
How so?steve-b:![]()
Fine. But don’t expect that it is relevant for others.Paul said that we are to be the most pitied if it wasn’t true. MOST PITIED of all people… That’s pretty bad
I kept it to what Paul said.
Lye:Nope!
That’s been debunked.
Yep!Really?
Bingo…But the issue is whether the Gospel is rejected and disbelieved.
Because you don’t declare the adherents of those religions to be either fools or liars. They are simply considered to be mistaken, and as such their beliefs are simply “legends”.How so?
On that “detailed explanation” we can end this dialog.Yep!
When I quoted Paul, Who was Paul writing to?steve-b:![]()
Because you don’t declare the adherents of those religions to be either fools or liars. They are simply considered to be mistaken, and as such their beliefs are simply “legends”.How so?
Yep!
On your lack of detail, I say OK. Because there was no dialogueOn that “detailed explanation” we can end this dialog.
Indeed. I simply pointed out that the list of “liar, lunatic or Lord”, needs to be expanded to include “legend”. You said that this has been “debunked”. Now, how can a suggestion be “debunked” is beyond me. So our dialog needs to be abandoned, because you said nothing which is worth to be considered.Because there was no dialogue