First of all, I would sincerely like to thank all of you who have responded to the ORIGINAL question of this thread. Your wisdom and insight have been a source of inspiration that I will definitely remember the next time I find myself in this situation (which, as I said, is quite often…)
I sincerely liked CAT’s suggestion as well about the blessing (especially the conviction with which you shared it…) and believe that on occasion it would be “just what the doctor ordered”; however, I also believe that sometimes we are obliged to say something more. Especially in America, wherein the pragmatic culture sometime abounds, it is necessary to give REASONS to back up our convictions and not fall into the trap of merely hanging onto our emotions.
Furthermore, to smile and walk off could sometimes give the wrong impression. In other words, it could make them think that I care less about which church they attend…
Personally, aware that at times there are huge and even scandalous differences between what I believe (a Roman Catholic) and what a member of a non-denominationaI church believes, I always try to love them and wish for their entrance into full-communion with the One Church of Christ! The Church founded by Christ and intended by Christ for all Christians… In other words, I can’t just walk away. I feel the moral obligation to share with them this treasure.
But how? That’s the question… With LOVE, that’s the answer.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS Love. Love is the only invariable… Love is the greatest gift of Christianity to humanity.
“Always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence.” (1 Pet. 3:15)
But love can be manifest in many ways: it can be manifest in a gesture (eg. a blessing) and it can be manifest through words.
In the end, I guess the real solution to the inquiry is about being “in tune” with the Holy Spirit. Like some of you said earlier, in an encounter of this type, the important thing isn’t ME, its HIM. Its about what HE wants… And in order to know what HE wants, what HE wants me to say, it is necessary to be in tune with the Holy Spirit. And again, whatever I do, do it with love.
Which brings me to a final point…
At the beginning of this thread, it seems that there was at least one thing we all agreed upon, i.e. “In the end, we (ALL) believe in the same God”.
Well, for those of you who have chosen to go off on a tangent (Fred, James, Manny…) perhaps you should pause to assimilate this Truth first before proceeding with your responses. It is natural to get worked up, but it doesn’t make it right to respond as such.
Well, its just past eleven here in Rome :yawn: so after remembering you all in my prayers

, I’ll be heading off to bed…
God bless!
