What's on your dashboard/hanging from your rearview mirror?

• Thread starter Thread starter Timidity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I have is a parking pass for the garage of the Hospital at which I work once a month. I don’t know why I keep it there everyday, though. One of my kids left a pin of George Bush in the car so I stuck that by the speedometer. I used to have a sticker collection on my old car’s steering wheel from when my kids were younger and would always give me stickers. I have a nice funeral prayer card in the glove compartment but I’m not sure where to put it.

I responded a rosary and “other”. The other is a cd case with Christopher West’s Theology of the body lecture series (Very Good listening)

40.png
kramerbaby:
We have a rosary on ours to remind us to pray. It also in kinda like a reminder of not to drive faster than you guardian angel can fly! I would just put something simple up. Something that reminds you of God’s love for you.
It does work as a great reminder. I would not have anything else!

I have a Rosary and a scapular on my mirror, a small crucifix on the dash, and a fish (Christos) on the back of my car. I drive proud!

I have a wooden rosary from Medjugorje that was given to me by a priest, and clipped to that are both a little dove pin from the Holy Land given to me by a friend and a Miraculous Medal given to me. Also I have my “Member of Catholic.com Radio Club” license plate holder on the back of my car, so believe me - I can’t be driving crazy and making angry signals anymore! I don’t want to give anyone a bad idea of Catholics - sure helps to keep me in line!

Holy water in my glove box - I sprinkle it around the inside and outside of the car before I go out on the open road (i.e. a trip out of the city). I figure I’m more in danger at high speeds! :hmmm:

Nothing…I can’t drive and don’t want to nor own a car…never mind :rotfl: (still got two feet last time I looked)

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I don’t have anything hanging from my mirror, as it tends to get in the way of my vision. But I’ve enjoyed reading the responses here. I’m not so much interested in WHAT is hanging, as I am in WHY you chose what you did. It’s fascinating.

I used to have a pastor who would get upset if he saw a rosary hanging from the rear view mirror of a car. In this area, many people do it because they think it will protect them from accidents. :tsktsk: So he would tell them to take it down and use it. :yup:

I have Eyore in a Tigger suit on my mirror. On my dash I have a magnet that says to call a priest in case of an accident. I have a rosary in the car in case it comes on our Catholic station while I am driving, but I also have 2 in my purse and several at home. I would rather use them than see them just hanging there.

I have my rosary from Lourdes hanging from my mirror, but it isn’t for decoration. I use it every chance I get. I also have a St. Christopher visor medal.

40.png
KathyT:
I have a rosary in the car in case it comes on our Catholic station while I am driving…
Huh? Why? If it’s on the radio you can be pretty sure that they’re keeping the right count…

And how can you meditate on the mysteries while driving? Sounds either unsafe (distracted driving) or ineffective (distracted mediating).

an ornament a customer gave me of a dove with an olive branch (i have a tattoo of it on my shoulder…) :o

If you are ever driving in Illinois:

625 ILCS 5/12-503
(c) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any objects placed or suspended between the driver and the front windshield, rear window, side wings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver which materially obstructs the driver’s view.

In specific cases, an air freshener (Jackson, Smith cases) was a material obnstruction, and fuzzy dice (Mendoza case) were adjudged an obstruction. All of those cases involved [unsuccessful] attempts to suppress evidence seized in cars that were pulled over on account of the obstructions. The courts did not view the cops’ reasons for pulling the cars over as pretext. The issue of dangling rosaries does not appear to have come up. Realistically, it is unlikely that anyone will be pulled over for a dangling rosary unless a cop suspects you have contraband in the car.

BTW I have a rosary and a St. Christopher medal in my ride.

40.png
Timidity:
When I was growing up, my cousins had a St. Anthony (or was it St. Christopher?) medal on the dashboard.
It was probably St. Christopher the patron saint of travel I think. However his sainthood was in question the last I remember- does anyone know. We always had his medal in our car too.I don’t now because I got away from many of the outward signs.

For safety purposes, I don’t want my vision to be obstructed or distracted in any way so I don’t have anything hanging from my rear view mirror.

HowEVEVer, on the dashbord - passenger side – I have laid out a bumper sticker that says this:

You can’t be Catholic AND pro-abortion.

When I park, I position it with tissues behind it to prop it up directly against the inside front window for people who are passing by it in the parking lot can see it.

40.png
Fitz:
It was probably St. Christopher the patron saint of travel I think. However his sainthood was in question the last I remember- does anyone know. We always had his medal in our car too.I don’t now because I got away from many of the outward signs.
St. Christopher’s sainthood was never in question.

What was going on in America in the the late 60’s post Vatican II is that it became recognized that sometimes people were attributing to St. Christopher qualities of divinical nature, so efforts were made to make it very clear that St. Christopher is not divine.

Even so, it – back then and now – of course is perfectly okay to hang a St. Christopher medal. As long as you don’t attribute to St. Christopher qualities other than that a saint has.

At the time, my parish was St. Christopher RC Church. It still IS St. Christopher RC Church.

Oh excellent dhgray!! 🙂

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Rosary and a flower lei my son made at summer bible school hang from the review mirror. A visor clip of St. Joseph and Jesus that says “whether near or apart, you are always in my heart” holds onto a prayer card of Pope John Paul II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back