When were confederate monuments erected and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny. People appear to hate statues. Some churches think we actually worship statues.
We all know this is totally false.
I have been here in the Deep South for over 30 years. Never once have I had a “hankering” to loll about and think about these statues. I consider it part of the history of this place, nothing more.
I doubt if the millions of people who saunter past them give them another thought.
It’s STUFF.
STUFF doesn’t make people behave one way or another.
It would be a shame to simply erase the history we don’t like.
They don’t harm me, they don’t influence me, and I don’t study them.

It seems like people could spend their time in more PRODUCTIVE endeavors, like trying to get along. Maybe even learn from history.
Thank you, Clare! The whole ‘erasing the history we don’t like’ is the heart of the matter.

Until I had to return North due to a family crisis I lived the happiest years of my life in Charlottesville and often passed through the park with the statue of Gen Lee either on my way to the library or to Holy Comforter church (which is downtown). People in Charlottesville weren’t all in my face over coming from “the North”, they didn’t harp on and on about "the war against Northern Aggression’ (a term I heard on these fora but never from anybody who actually was a Southerner!) And it’s not because we’re full of ‘white privilege’ or ‘Euro privilege’ or whatever; the black people I knew had long ago chosen to move beyond the past and were far more involved making life better for the people in the present, as shown by the many volunteer groups, the work of the Interfaith groups, the work of the man and woman on the street who were always ready to lend a hand to people in need, black or white or pea green.

I was talking about the matter with friends today and while obviously this is not the case with every person, the people we see and hear making the loudest noise about the hate and ‘how people would feel bad’ aren’t the people who actually are on the spot, or who have lived this themselves. It’s people who usually have absolutely no connection to the South, or to the war; who usually have no idea of history, even their own modern history, and who shout the loudest and most intolerant rants about these ‘crimes’ while treating virtually everything that passes their own ‘muster’, even if those things offend others or involve moral evils at least equal to slavery (think, ‘abortion’), as being ‘shades of gray’, "capable of many different interpretations’, ‘needing to be dealt with sensitivity’, ‘requiring tolerance and respect’ etc.

Yeah, we understand. The loud-mouthed self-appointed experts who want to wrap themselves in the mantle of noble ‘compassion for others’ when it comes to an issue that doesn’t affect them call for utter contempt on those who do not toe their line. . .but insist that for what affects them that we bend over backward lest we cause even the glimmer of a ‘hurt feeling’.

Double standard, anyone?

I despise racism. I also despise bullying. Too many it seems will only permit ‘one way of thinking’ and will snarl and snap and tear apart any who deviate from that thinking in the slightest.
 
Wasn’t Robert Byrd, the senator, a member of the KKK?

The democrats seemed to be a friend of him.
Well, he died in 2010, so…

If you look at his view over the years, they did change. If you look. (Did you?)
 
"As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated, my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt … would have the effect of … continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour."
–Robert E Lee, 1866 Letter to Confederate Gen. Thomas L. Rosser

He seems to have thought it better to erect memorials to those who gave their lives in the war and to tend their graves, and leave it at that.

Ironic?
 
The state of Virginia voted 2 to 1 against succession after South Carolina left the Union. When Lincoln decided to raise an army to put South Carolina in its place and asked the states to provide men, Virginia then voted 2 to 1 to succeed. Many other southern states were in the same boat. It was the decision of President Lincoln to start a war that drove the mass succession of Southern States. And they fought an almost entirely defensive war, although they probably could have ended it day 1 after Bull Run by marching directly to Washington instead of doing the gentlemanly thing and letting the enemy retire.

Virginia’s governor:

The primary reason you see so many statues of Robert E. Lee in the southeast and mid-atlantic states is that he was one of the major contributors to peaceful reconciliation between the North and South after the end of the war. Lee led by example to “bury the sword” and become good citizens of the Republic again. Without him, guerrilla warfare probably would have continued for years afterwards. He died only 5yrs later after the end of the war. The statues of him were done in this spirit of reconciliation, as an olive branch to heal the sectarian divisions.

Dwight D. Eisenhower on Lee:

Let us not devolve to some cartoon, comic book version of civil war history in which the losing side were black hearted villains and the winning courageous heroes. To hold people of the past accountable to current, 21st century, 2017 values is unfair and unrealistic. And to compare the confederate states or those who served in the confederacy to Nazi Germany, Hitler and Hess is dishonest and does nothing more than shut down any conversation.

You are of course free to disagree with whether or not civil war memorials should stand in public places. But I think you owe it to those memorialized and those who did the memorializing to actually understand their motivations and their mindset before you go on a righteous crusade.
Well said! 👍
 
The Robert E Lee monument here in Dallas was erected in the 30s, during a time when segregation and KKK membership were at their highest. Thank goodness our mayor has opted to have it removed along with others.
 
… The primary reason you see so many statues of Robert E. Lee in the southeast and mid-atlantic states is that he was one of the major contributors to peaceful reconciliation between the North and South after the end of the war. Lee led by example to “bury the sword” and become good citizens of the Republic again. Without him, guerrilla warfare probably would have continued for years afterwards. He died only 5yrs later after the end of the war. The statues of him were done in this spirit of reconciliation, as an olive branch to heal the sectarian divisions.

Dwight D. Eisenhower on Lee:

…]

Let us not devolve to some cartoon, comic book version of civil war history in which the losing side were black hearted villains and the winning courageous heroes. To hold people of the past accountable to current, 21st century, 2017 values is unfair and unrealistic. And to compare the confederate states or those who served in the confederacy to Nazi Germany, Hitler and Hess is dishonest and does nothing more than shut down any conversation.

You are of course free to disagree with whether or not civil war memorials should stand in public places. But I think you owe it to those memorialized and those who did the memorializing to actually understand their motivations and their mindset before you go on a righteous crusade.
Thank you, FirstFiveEighth, for pointing out that war is not all about winning and losing. What good does it do to win the war but lose the peace?

See, for example, what happened after we “won” the war in Iraq. Mission Accomplished. We won the war but had no plan for restoring peace and prosperity. The US and the world (not to mention the people of Iraq) would be better off today if we had never started that war.

We should thank God that the Civil War had honorable and courageous “losers” like Robert E. Lee.
“Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.”
 
More importantly for today, who are the people who put up those monuments? They are the people who were Southern Democrats when Republicans were for equal rights, and became Republicans in the 1960s when the Democrats were for equal rights. There is no ideological continuity between the nominal political parties in the South before 1950 and the political parties after 1970. So your observation has no relevance to political parties of today.
The Democrats were never about equal rights; they were and are about maintaining their own power at the expense of minorities, exploiting them and keeping them on the plantation. Nothing they have done in my lifetime has changed that truth.
 
It is not allowed to make so much sense, in addressing these issues.

In certain places.
 
No. Some states did secede and specifically name slavery as a reason, but many other states gave no official reason. But why they seceded doesn’t really matter. What matters is the Union still had slavery, its president said he had no intention of ending slavery and was not fighting for that purpose, and he backed an amendment to protect slavery. The CSA fought the war to maintain their independence and the North fought to prevent political freedom.
I didn’t say the Union fought the war to end slavery, but it is clear the CSA fought to preserve it.
 
According to statistics cited here and on another thread, far and away most of them were erected between 1900 and 1914. There was another, far smaller “uptick” during the Civil Rights era. I too noticed how that monument to the generic confederate soldier crumpled when it was pulled down. But it was probably bronze. I think a lot of bronze castings are hollow.
There was a time, and a business mode, that offered cheap, mostly generic, and rather ugly representative statues, and a variety of mounting selections, and that one that was toppled in Durham was certainly one such. Hollow cast metal was the usual choice for the figure.

I’m old. And I grew up in a state capital of a state that attempted to leave the Union. The state house grounds were replete with statues relating to that time and at least one of a specific historical figure. All of them from before my birth, and none added in my life time. All big. solid, hunks of cast bronze and granite and shiny rock stuff. All still there. The only dates they were erected known to me were 1911, 1923, and 1938. It can be assumed that the date of one other was roughly in the period around 1905.
 
That’s what books and museums are for. How, exactly, do you learn by looking at a statue? And not just any statue, but the loser’s 2nd place consolation prize.

Do we ask Jewish Americans to honor the Gestapo losers of WWII? I’m sure they have statues, too.

Books, people, books-! History’s not going anywhere.
Anyone who lauds books gets my approbation. Lots of books, with lots of viewpoints, to see history in the round, concretely and solidly.

I like solid stuff to look at, too.
 
I am sure if he wanted to remain in the Senate his views would have to change.
He had more seniority than the marble on the floors, so I wouldn’t bet a lot on that. As they say, all politics are local. Voters don’t like giving up a senator for their state who has a lot of leverage, and they tend to be more forgiving of attitudes that were more acceptable back when the candidate was elected, because they know the guy.

It is kind of a parallel to the statues. A lot of people who wouldn’t support erecting the same statues new right now still want to keep the old ones with a lot of patina on the bronze. They’re attractive statues; it is understandable to want to keep them and do a re-education campaign about how to take them. Well, that is, unless your family is one that has remembered what they meant when they went up and you figure two or three generations is quite enough.
 
I did answer, and I will again. All of our Vietnam veterans, including John McCain (who then-candidate Trump attacked by name because he was POW), are heroes and patriots who fought for - not against - U.S. interests. Shame on anyone who would compare our heroic Vietnam veterans to CSA traitors.

And again, I will point out that Maya Lin (an Asian artist) designed the Wall in Washington, D.C., and she faced a lot of opposition - not surprisingly, from CSA types - to get that wall built for our Vietnam veterans.

I don’t think Senator McCain, a true patriot and statesman, ever got an apology from Trump for attacking him. Please answer that, runningdude. Do you agree with attacking Vietnam POW’s? It doesn’t get any more un-American and un-patriotic than that.

To recap:
there
Our Vietnam veterans - all heroes - were pro-America
The CSA losers - no heroes - were anti-America
I agree with most points. Disagree with one, but the discussion would take more time than I want to put into it.

I’m retired military. Not a CSA type, though I never knew a CSA type might have a particular view of the memorial. I thought the chosen selection for the Vietnam Memorial was a bad one. I wanted something more traditional. And some other folks did too, hence the added group of 3 soldiers that were set looking toward it. I never went to the Memorial, until the day after I retired, 6 years after it was erected. And I was totally, absolutely wrong. The walls are perfect. The statues add a concrete presence. I was wrong.
 
I am not opposed to the confederate monuments and statues being taken down, but then again I am not a (White) Southerner. On another thread, I stated that this whole business seems to me a distraction from some of the real problems facing the country, and I stand by that view. Symbolism may be important but constructive action even more so.

I am also curious concerning whether these confederate monuments were the subject of opposition during the civil rights era of the 1960’s by leaders such as MLK, Malcolm X, and the like? I don’t recall they were but I might have forgotten. Or are the protests a rather new development?
 
I am not opposed to the confederate monuments and statues being taken down, but then again I am not a (White) Southerner. On another thread, I stated that this whole business seems to me a distraction from some of the real problems facing the country, and I stand by that view. Symbolism may be important but constructive action even more so.

I am also curious concerning whether these confederate monuments were the subject of opposition during the civil rights era of the 1960’s by leaders such as MLK, Malcolm X, and the like? I don’t recall they were but I might have forgotten. Or are the protests a rather new development?
In those days, as I recall, the focus was on the flag, and where it flew. I could be wrong.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top