When were confederate monuments erected and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times does it need to be repeated.

The democrat party of today shares little in any ideological ground with civil war democrats or later Dixiecrats.
Perhaps respond to what is posted then instead of repeating old lines. If you read my response to First FiveEighth you will see that I agree much has changed in political parties as you would expect. That doesn’t address though what was posted.
 
Opposition to the Vietnam memorial was based on its design, not by “CSA types”, whatever that means. Many people felt a solid black wall was nihilistic and did not honor the dead as a more traditional memorial would. The White House very nearly revoked the permit. After it was built, people changed their minds and felt it was a worthy remembrance. The concern was that the memorial would paint them as oppressors, not patriots.
I have been attacked on this and other threads, REPEATEDLY, with baseless accusations that because I have the audacity to point out historical fact the Confederacy were “losers,” heavens forbid the Confederate snowflakes would get their feelings hurt by the word “losers”, that it somehow means I would ever criticize our Vietnam veterans - heroes, all of them. When I have REPEATEDLY praised their sacrifices for the U.S. and for U.S. interests. They fought for America - not against America. It’s not rocket science.

Not surprisingly, no answer from that poster as to my question as how it’s a-okay for one particular then-candidate to attack a great patriot and statesman by name, John McCain, because he was POW. That’s the epitome of un-American and un-patriotic, and I still want to know if he got ever an apology. What about it, runningdude?

politico.com/story/2015/07/trump-attacks-mccain-i-like-people-who-werent-captured-120317
weeklystandard.com/trump-attacks-mccain-for-being-prisoner-of-war-i-like-people-that-werent-captured/article/993092
 
I’m with you there. At this point I think it’s little more than an insulting way of saying “this person cares about something I think they shouldn’t care about.”
 
There are still racist Democrats in the rural south.
There are racist Democrats in the Democratic leadership and elected office …Joe Biden ring a bell?

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”
 
Opposition to the Vietnam memorial was based on its design, not by “CSA types”, whatever that means. Many people felt a solid black wall was nihilistic and did not honor the dead as a more traditional memorial would. The White House very nearly revoked the permit. After it was built, people changed their minds and felt it was a worthy remembrance. The concern was that the memorial would paint them as oppressors, not patriots.
Yep, to all points.
 
No Leaf, that card has been played so many times that it has been self internalised by Democrats.

Such thinking is in their hearts. It doesn’t stand up to scrutiny but such demonization perpetuates division and retards open conversation.

It is not left wing speakers that are being shut out and shouted down at university gatherings. Such a twisted belief that Republicans are Deplorables and a lack of self examination lies at the heart of the current Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The idea that the Republican President gives succour to the Ku Klux Klan is the latest flight from reality caused by such derangement.
No, it’s what these groups themselves have said about Trump’s remarks.
 
Only God can see into the hearts of people. You can only guess.
Well, if one of the “confederate” groups refused to let Marian Anderson sing in their concert hall, it’s a fairly educated guess that the whole heritage and “honoring our forefathers” thing was less their m.o. than encouraging racism.

They could have shown some leadership and allowed a black artist to use their concert hall, but they didn’t.
 
I have been attacked on this and other threads, REPEATEDLY, with baseless accusations that because I have the audacity to point out historical fact the Confederacy were “losers,” heavens forbid the Confederate snowflakes would get their feelings hurt by the word “losers”, that it somehow means I would ever criticize our Vietnam veterans - heroes, all of them. When I have REPEATEDLY praised their sacrifices for the U.S. and for U.S. interests. They fought for America - not against America. It’s not rocket science.

Not surprisingly, no answer from that poster as to my question as how it’s a-okay for one particular then-candidate to attack a great patriot and statesman by name, John McCain, because he was POW. That’s the epitome of un-American and un-patriotic, and I still want to know if he got ever an apology. What about it, runningdude?

politico.com/story/2015/07/trump-attacks-mccain-i-like-people-who-werent-captured-120317
weeklystandard.com/trump-attacks-mccain-for-being-prisoner-of-war-i-like-people-that-werent-captured/article/993092
Perhaps the poster was merely pointing out the historical fact that Americans were “losers” in the Vietnam War as they did not realize any of their geopolitical goals in that region and communist influence grew both in Southeast Asia and worldwide?

Or perhaps the point was that calling people of the past, particularly soldiers who sacrificed their lives, “losers” isn’t particularly helpful. Especially when they all fought valiantly for their love of home, whether they “won” or “lost”.

Or perhaps you are being a bit of a snowflake and getting your feelings hurt when someone points out that Vietnam veterans were “losers”? Just something to think about, man. Play some devil’s advocate. 😛 🙂
 
The Robert E Lee monument here in Dallas was erected in the 30s, during a time when segregation and KKK membership were at their highest. Thank goodness our mayor has opted to have it removed along with others.
It was also at a time when last surviving Civil War veterans were dying off. I suspect these memorials had more to do with honoring the sacrifices of their fathers and grandfathers than with promoting racism. If racism was the intent, Robert E. Lee was a poor choice for a statue, Lee having preached reconciliation with the North in the final years of his life (he passed away in 1870), and having freed his own slaves before the war. He was also a reluctant secessionist, resigning his US Army commission only after his home state of Virginia had left the Union.
 
It was also at a time when last surviving Civil War veterans were dying off. I suspect these memorials had more to do with honoring the sacrifices of their fathers and grandfathers than with promoting racism.
These are intertwined. And “more to do with” does not eliminate the component of racism.
If racism was the intent, Robert E. Lee was a poor choice for a statue, Lee having preached reconciliation with the North in the final years of his life (he passed away in 1870), and having freed his own slaves before the war. He was also a reluctant secessionist, resigning his US Army commission only after his home state of Virginia had left the Union.
He was the leader an army of secessionists states whose cause was slavery.
 
The Robert E Lee monument here in Dallas was erected in the 30s, during a time when segregation and KKK membership were at their highest. Thank goodness our mayor has opted to have it removed along with others.
FDR at the dedication ceremony of the Robert E.Lee memorial and Robert E. Lee Park in Dallas:
I am very happy to take part in this unveiling of the statue of General Robert E. Lee.
All over the United States we recognize him as a great leader of men, as a great general. But, also, all over the United States I believe that we recognize him as something much more important than that. We recognize Robert E. Lee as one of our greatest American Christians and one of our greatest American gentlemen.
It drips with racism, I am sure…😛
 
There are racist Democrats in the Democratic leadership and elected office …Joe Biden ring a bell?

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”
:rolleyes:
Given the ensuing history of friendship, it’s odd to bring this up. But, frankly, the story was malarkey even at the time.

economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2007/01/joe_biden_moron_racist_or_poor
itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004131.html#more
 
Including independence concerning slavery. Their documents tell us they were established for the purpose of maintaining slavery. I see no reason not to believe that.
Their documents… no some documents. Some states had secession documents that mentioned slavery, but not all states had such documents. And the documents are more complex than you suggest. It was a complex problem. It is a fact that the Union wasn’t fighting to end slavery, offering compensation to masters for freed slaves, or offering to accept as refugees the entire slave population. The last two are big issues that aren’t considered by most people.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top