D
dvdjs
Guest
But it is a fact that the secessionists were fighting to preserve it.It is a fact that the Union wasn’t fighting to end slavery,…
But it is a fact that the secessionists were fighting to preserve it.It is a fact that the Union wasn’t fighting to end slavery,…
Yes, because you are equivocating.I have been attacked on this and other threads, REPEATEDLY, with baseless accusations that because I have the audacity to point out historical fact the Confederacy were “losers,” heavens forbid the Confederate snowflakes would get their feelings hurt by the word “losers”, that it somehow means I would ever criticize our Vietnam veterans - heroes, all of them. When I have REPEATEDLY praised their sacrifices for the U.S. and for U.S. interests. They fought for America - not against America. It’s not rocket science.
Not surprisingly, no answer from that poster as to my question as how it’s a-okay for one particular then-candidate to attack a great patriot and statesman by name, John McCain, because he was POW. That’s the epitome of un-American and un-patriotic, and I still want to know if he got ever an apology. What about it, runningdude?
politico.com/story/2015/07/trump-attacks-mccain-i-like-people-who-werent-captured-120317
weeklystandard.com/trump-attacks-mccain-for-being-prisoner-of-war-i-like-people-that-werent-captured/article/993092
True, but I would take that farther.How many times does it need to be repeated.
The democrat party of today shares little in any ideological ground with civil war democrats or later Dixiecrats.
Slavery existed. Unfortunately, it was a way of life in the South and other areas in theThese are intertwined. And “more to do with” does not eliminate the component of racism.
He was the leader an army of secessionists states whose cause was slavery.
Doesn’t change the simple fact that the CSA was committed to maintaining slavery-so much so that it went to war for that unjust, evil cause.It was a complex problem. It is a fact that the Union wasn’t fighting to end slavery, offering compensation to masters for freed slaves, or offering to accept as refugees the entire slave population. The last two are big issues that aren’t considered by most people.
Yes, because you are equivocating.I have been attacked on this and other threads, REPEATEDLY, with baseless accusations that because I have the audacity to point out historical fact the Confederacy were “losers,” heavens forbid the Confederate snowflakes would get their feelings hurt by the word “losers”, that it somehow means I would ever criticize our Vietnam veterans - heroes, all of them. When I have REPEATEDLY praised their sacrifices for the U.S. and for U.S. interests. They fought for America - not against America. It’s not rocket science.
Not surprisingly, no answer from that poster as to my question as how it’s a-okay for one particular then-candidate to attack a great patriot and statesman by name, John McCain, because he was POW. That’s the epitome of un-American and un-patriotic, and I still want to know if he got ever an apology. What about it, runningdude?
politico.com/story/2015/07/trump-attacks-mccain-i-like-people-who-werent-captured-120317
weeklystandard.com/trump-attacks-mccain-for-being-prisoner-of-war-i-like-people-that-werent-captured/article/993092
You see this a beating up. But others are not talking about beating up. The issue is a call for clarity in messaging a national narrative.Slavery existed. Unfortunately, it was a way of life in the South and other areas in the
world.
Does that make it right? Absolutely not! We are talking about a time in history.
Maybe democrats feel guilty about their role in racism in the south and so they
feel they are making amends for the sins of the past by insisting these statues need
to be removed.
The world was changing when our country was founded and continued to change rapidly in the following 200 years. History was being made. Some of it good and some bad. We cannot change that slavery was part of the fabric of our country.
I am not responsible for the slavery and my mother and father did not participate in
slavery nor did my grandparents or great grandparents. I believe I had a great great
grandfather that had a small plantation in Kentucky and owned a few slaves, but I
am far removed from what was happening in the 1860’s. I grew up in Kansas, a free
state, that voted not to allow slavery in the 1860’s.
I didn’t grow up hating my country or statues because of slavery. I was mature enough to know slavery was wrong, a war was fought and it ended and it was part of history. I wonder how history is being taught in schools in this day and age.
I was born in 1952, before the 100th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.
I don’t understand why people want to keep beating themselves up over history.
Thanks for making those points. Well said!?Yes, because you are equivocating.
Look at it this way: Trump called McCain a loser because he lost the 2008 election. He also questioned whether McCain was a war hero *simply because he was a POW. *
Yet you consider Trump’s calling McCain a loser as wrong, because loser has become an insulting word over the years.
At the same time, you insist on calling those who fought in defense of their states losers… As outraged as you are by Trump’s calling McCain a loser, so are those who see that those who fought for the South were honorable men doing the best that they could at the time.
Because th word loser no longer means only someone who lost but also someone unworthy of much consideration, we need to consider each case on a separate basis. Were the Confederates losers in the pejorative sense? Many think not: as individuals they were good men. Is McCain a loser in the pejorative sense? Many think not: his military service and other aspects of his life would suggest that he is not.
Persoanlly, I think both you and Trump are wrong to be applying the word loser at all.
Also, re the DAR refusing Marion Anderson… as someone already pointed out, but which you seem to have missed, is that the DAR are the Daughters of the *American Revolution, *nothing to do with the Confederacy, the main founder of which, Mary Lockwood, was from New York.
But it is a fact that the secessionists were fighting to preserve it.
That makes no sense. If a married man had mistresses and divorced his wife, even though she said he could keep his mistresses, would you say he was divorcing her to keep have mistresses?Doesn’t change the simple fact that the CSA was committed to maintaining slavery-so much so that it went to war for that unjust, evil cause.
I didn’t mean for the question mark to be at the end!Thanks for making those points. Well said!?
Is this tortured analogy supposed to prove that the CSA did not consider the preservation of the slave economy an important goal of the Civil War? The analogy fails because the Northern States did not give solid assurances that they would always respect that economy. There may have been other reasons for the war in addition to the question of rights of slaves, but that was surely one of them.That makes no sense. If a married man had mistresses and divorced his wife, even though she said he could keep his mistresses, would you say he was divorcing her to keep have mistresses?
How is the analogy tortured? The North and Lincoln did give assurances. They supported the Corwin Amendment which would have protected slavery forever from the federal government.Is this tortured analogy supposed to prove that the CSA did not consider the preservation of the slave economy an important goal of the Civil War? The analogy fails because the Northern States did not give solid assurances that they would always respect that economy. There may have been other reasons for the war in addition to the question of rights of slaves, but that was surely one of them.
And just how many southerners had slaves, do you think? I’d say darn few. Back in those days I dare venture most of those who fought on the Confederate side were fighting for their states and states rights, as set out in the Constitution. The Civil War causes were much more complex than just slavery as so many liberals want to portray it. And with the schools being as they are, two sides of any subject are seldom offered.Doesn’t change the simple fact that the CSA was committed to maintaining slavery-so much so that it went to war for that unjust, evil cause.
What makes no sense is the deflection and denial of the obvious, which is that the CSA was expressly committed to maintaining the evil system of slavery and that its leaders were willing to wage a civil war that was motivated by in part by a desire to remain free to own other human beings as property.That makes no sense. If a married man had mistresses and divorced his wife, even though she said he could keep his mistresses, would you say he was divorcing her to keep have mistresses?
No, I readily admit the CSA wanted to maintain slavery. I reject they fought a war to own slaves. They are two distinct issues. The morality of the war, in denying political independence, is predicated in the fairytale that the Union fought to end slavery. It is like saying the US fought Germany to end the Holocaust. It’s just not true.What makes no sense is the deflection and denial of the obvious, which is that the CSA was expressly committed to maintaining the evil system of slavery and that its leaders were willing to wage a civil war that was motivated by in part by a desire to remain free to own other human beings as property.
And I have not argued that the Union fought to end slavery. What I maintain is that one of the chief reasons for the desire of the CSA to gain independence was a concern that the institution of slavery would be threatened apart from independence.No, I readily admit the CSA wanted to maintain slavery. I reject they fought a war to own slaves. They are two distinct issues. The morality of the war, in denying political independence, is predicated in the fairytale that the Union fought to end slavery. It is like saying the US fought Germany to end the Holocaust. It’s just not true.
Even if we do accept that slavery per se played no role in the initial declaration of the the war, it certainly became an issue as the war progressed, and becomes how we think of the war afterwards. So it is natural that symbols and memorials of the Civil War would relate to slavery just as symbols of Nazi Germany relate to the Holocaust. Since we are talking about confederate memorials in this thread, this is relevant.No, I readily admit the CSA wanted to maintain slavery. I reject they fought a war to own slaves. They are two distinct issues. The morality of the war, in denying political independence, is predicated in the fairytale that the Union fought to end slavery. It is like saying the US fought Germany to end the Holocaust. It’s just not true.
Repeating a falsehood a million times doesn’t make it true. Democrat ideology has changed remarkably little over the past 150 years. It’s still an ideology built around the idea that the vast majority of people are incapable of handling there own affairs and need someone in authority, whether that person be a master, a bureaucrat, or a Google executive, to strictly limit their freedom.How many times does it need to be repeated.
The democrat party of today shares little in any ideological ground with civil war democrats or later Dixiecrats.
There are supposed statistics on that. Maybe they can be believed, maybe not. It sort of depends on how you count. If, say, a man had one slave, a wife and seven children, would the wife and children be counted as “slave owners” or just the husband?And just how many southerners had slaves, do you think? I’d say darn few. Back in those days I dare venture most of those who fought on the Confederate side were fighting for their states and states rights, as set out in the Constitution. The Civil War causes were much more complex than just slavery as so many liberals want to portray it. And with the schools being as they are, two sides of any subject are seldom offered.
Is that why Thomas Jefferson founded the party, to limit people’s freedom? The author of the Declaration of Independence of all people?Repeating a falsehood a million times doesn’t make it true. Democrat ideology has changed remarkably little over the past 150 years. It’s still an ideology built around the idea that the vast majority of people are incapable of handling there own affairs and need someone in authority, whether that person be a master, a bureaucrat, or a Google executive, to strictly limit their freedom.