Ah, and here it is. The classic “Nixon Southern Strategy”, where it is implied (or straight up boldly stated) that southerners only started voting Republican because Nixon catered to their racism and drew them away from the Democrats. And implicitly all southerners today, or at least the majority who vote Republican, are racists at heart and can therefore be ignored or despised. I’m sure it had nothing to do with an emphasis by the Republican party on “Christian” social values.
I’ve read a lot about the “last acceptable prejudice” on CAF being anti-catholicism, but I propose that there is another “last acceptable prejudice” in this country, in which southerners are by default backwards, religiously fundamentalist, closet racists. In fact I remember once being asked, seriously, by a girl from Michigan if we had paved roads in the south.
I would ask, sir, that you do not paint entire regions of the country based on your prejudices, and I would have you know that the KKK and neo-nazi groups are as despised here as they are everywhere else in the country. Sure, they exist, just as they do in New York, Michigan, Kansas, and California. Living in their trailers where everyone ignores their nonsense. Hint: It wasn’t the residents of Charlottesville, VA waving tiki torches and chanting racist tripe. They wanted nothing to do with those clowns. Perhaps if you visited the south instead of believing in worn out caricatures of it, you would realize this.