where did we get the bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Odell
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
**
Gary and Brian…yeah…they look A LOT alike…
Listen I don’t mess up your …French…I think… name…so don’t mess up mine:mad: :mad:
:D**

I happen to be a GIRL, viz my signature Christine.
 
Sometimes the quoting system on this forum has a bug. It has the tendency to not work all the time. So excuse me for mixing up the posts. Second, why do you have to be mad or angry at me?

Remember Jesus said, “He who is angry with his brother is liable to judgement.”
Well, you will ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt from me 🙂 Just wanted to set the record straight for the benefit of the thread.
 
I had to choose none of the above because of “where” and “who”. The answer to “where” is absolutely the Catholic Church, and the answer to “Who” is God. The general answer based on the question is The Catholic Church.

It’s so heart wrenching when protestants don’t acknowledge that we got the Bible from the Catholic Church. I was told vehemently by a moderator on a rapture forum (a few years ago) that it wasn’t true. But it is true. We did get the Bible from the Catholic Church, as given to the Catholic Church by God.
Protestants must be that. See they can’t believe that they were part of the Catholic church and then left it. Then they have to deal with leaving the church that Jesus instituted. So they claim with no evidence that they draw their history from the early church which they claim was individual in nature. They essentially don’t allow the Catholic church to be even formed until the 400 CE and in some cases even later. It’s fairly nonsensical in my opinion, but I can see the dilemma they would be in if they didn’t insist on this.
 
I have been told it is the Catholic Church. And that is what I believe. But if it is true waht do protestants have to say or do they believe the bible came about any different.

anyway I would like to know both sides so I can determine for my self who really knows what they are talking about.
There is a logical fallacy here that makes a vote for the “Catholic Church” (with the proper caveats) misleading. I will call it an inheritance problem (from the realm of object oriented programming).

I will illustrate with a neutral example.

Let us say we have a country A. In the history of country A they perform great deed X.

Let us say later on that country A divides into three countries. One country keeps the same name, while we also add countries B and C. Over time a little rivalry develops between these three countries.

Now country A begins boasting of accomplishment X to countries B and C, claiming that accomplishment X was exclusively the domain of country A and countries B and C have no claim to this great deed.

Is country A justified in its boasting?

The problem here is the inheritance problem. Countries B and C inherit just as much from country A prior to the point of division as country A does.
 
Protestants must be that. See they can’t believe that they were part of the Catholic church and then left it. Then they have to deal with leaving the church that Jesus instituted. So they claim with no evidence that they draw their history from the early church which they claim was individual in nature. They essentially don’t allow the Catholic church to be even formed until the 400 CE and in some cases even later. It’s fairly nonsensical in my opinion, but I can see the dilemma they would be in if they didn’t insist on this.
👍
 
I have a few question of how the Protestants got their bible (66 books instead of 73).

When the reformers set their canon, did they meet in a council to do this, and if so, who attended it, were the Catholic and eastern orthodox churches invited?

By what authority did they remove them?

Why did they remove the books from the old testament, I assume they didn’t believe them to be inspired, but why did they question the inspiration of these particular books?
(I am looking for a protestant response on this one, since I know the Catholic response)

Did they believe that their canon was an infallible decision?
 
<<These ideas don’t stand up to five minute’s real anlysis, but they are quite prevalent.>>

I’ve actually met people–mostly pop-evangelicals–who think the Bible came about by automatic writing. They won’t use the occult term, but that’s what their idea boils down to.
 
There is a logical fallacy here that makes a vote for the “Catholic Church” (with the proper caveats) misleading. I will call it an inheritance problem (from the realm of object oriented programming).

I will illustrate with a neutral example.

Let us say we have a country A. In the history of country A they perform great deed X.

Let us say later on that country A divides into three countries. One country keeps the same name, while we also add countries B and C. Over time a little rivalry develops between these three countries.
are we adding or splitting countries? If splitting, why?
Now country A begins boasting of accomplishment X to countries B and C, claiming that accomplishment X was exclusively the domain of country A and countries B and C have no claim to this great deed.
Boasting has no relevance in claiming Truth, just as Authority is not the same as Power.
Is country A justified in its boasting? The problem here is the inheritance problem. Countries B and C inherit just as much from country A prior to the point of division as country A does.
Assuming a split, countries B and C inherit X. But they split from A, because they did not want to obey the Authority of A. Then B and C took X, which they inherited from A, and claimed only B and C had Authority.
 
I have been told it is the Catholic Church. And that is what I believe. But if it is true waht do protestants have to say or do they believe the bible came about any different.

anyway I would like to know both sides so I can determine for my self who really knows what they are talking about.
Are you talking about the Christian’s N.T.?

Jewish teaching is that TORAH The first 5 books of the Jewish Bible was in heaven and G-d gave it to Moses.
 
I would say that God gave us the bible.
He used human authors to write it, who under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, wrote what God wanted, and only what God wanted.
God used his Church which His son Jesus established, to sift through all the competing documents claiming to be inspired, to infallibly recognize which of these books were indeed inspired by God.
I was going to post this very thought. But you summed it up better than I ever could have. IMHO, the perfect response! 👍
 
Protestants must be that. See they can’t believe that they were part of the Catholic church and then left it.
The larger issue is that the typical Protestant believer, while firm in their faith, and as sincere as anyone in their desire to live a God-pleasing life, has no concept of Church history.
None. It’s simply not a topic of conversation.

They have no idea of how the Bible in their laps came into existance (although most could tell you whose writings are credited to each individual book).

It’s not, as you say, that they can’t believe it. It’s much more that they simply aren’t informed that this is so.

-Michael (former Free Will Baptist)
 
The larger issue is that the typical Protestant believer, while firm in their faith, and as sincere as anyone in their desire to live a God-pleasing life, has no concept of Church history.
None. It’s simply not a topic of conversation.

They have no idea of how the Bible in their laps came into existance (although most could tell you whose writings are credited to each individual book).

It’s not, as you say, that they can’t believe it. It’s much more that they simply aren’t informed that this is so.

-Michael (former Free Will Baptist)
I agree that they aren’t informed, but, I have yet to come across a protestant/non-denom that *wants **to be *informed. They seem so closed minded. I don’t mean this in a judgemental way, I just wish they would read about the History, (of the one and only true church of Jesus Christ, the RCC:D ), and then decide the path they want to take. One of the things that led me to convert, was the holiness I felt in the CC. There is such a reverance for the Lord in the traditions of the Mass. Most protestant’s etc., say that we never read the Bible or that they did not hear readings from the Bible (when they had visited the CC.) How could anyone sit through Mass and not hear the readings (that are straight out of the Bible)🤷
 
I agree with what both SpiritMeadow and BankofTheTiber posted. Having been raised in a Baptist home, this is what we were taught.
  1. Most people had no idea how the Baptist Religion came to existence (including myself 🙂 ). Some people in our church believed that it was a church instituted by John the Baptist (hence the name).
  2. As far as the Bible is concerned, were taught that the Bible was written by men, inspired by God. And somewheres, somehow, it all got put together nicely in a book 😛 Not much else was ever discussed, like BanksofTheTiber said, “It’s simply not a topic of conversation”. And the “extra books” that Catholic Bibles had were stuff they added themselves to make their religion work. Hence why my father, after hearing that I was joining the Catholic Church, was/is convinced that I have joined a cult and will forever burn in Hell. (very sad indeed 😦 )
 
I agree that they aren’t informed, but, I have yet to come across a protestant/non-denom that *wants **to be ***informed. They seem so closed minded.
If you approach the typical Protestant (well, really the typical Evangelical: Episcopals and Lutherans have a pretty good knowledge of Church history in my experience. I don’t want to over-generalize), knowing you are Catholic, their guard goes up. It’s seen as proseltysing , and you clearly have an agenda. 🙂
I don’t mean this in a judgemental way, I just wish they would read about the History
Every Christian should attempt to understand the roots of their faith. While I have not converted to Catholocism, it was important for me to dig into this. Even if I choose not to join the CC, it is important for me (and I think, others) to weigh the evidence fairly, and with an open mind.
Most protestant’s etc., say that we never read the Bible or that they did not hear readings from the Bible (when they had visited the CC.) How could anyone sit through Mass and not hear the readings (that are straight out of the Bible)🤷
Ignorance. It’s easy to dismiss that which you have no exposure to. Fifteen minutes into The Mass on EWTN is more Scripture than the typical Evangelical gets in two hours at their church. They just don’t realize this, because they choose not to expose themselves to it.
 
  1. Most people had no idea how the Baptist Religion came to existence (including myself 🙂 ). Some people in our church believed that it was a church instituted by John the Baptist (hence the name).
Thank you for backing me up on this! 👍
  1. As far as the Bible is concerned, were taught that the Bible was written by men, inspired by God. And somewheres, somehow, it all got put together nicely in a book 😛
I don’t think I received even that much detail. It is what it is, and that’s about as far as the discussion went.
Hence why my father, after hearing that I was joining the Catholic Church, was/is convinced that I have joined a cult and will forever burn in Hell. (very sad indeed 😦 )
How very sad. 😦
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top