Where is Catholicism in the Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Allan1972
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is true individual Catholics don’t agree but the Magisterium teaching of the Catholic Church is one and no other teachings is different.

Any religious who disagree with the Church are schismatic, or are execommunicated. They are no longer in union with the Holy See.

The teachings of the Catholic Church are defined in Catechism of the Catholic Church, and any magisterial document.

There are those who claim to be Catholic like society of Pius, and those traditional Catholics who are against the Vatican II but these Churches are Schismatic…

A True Catholic are those in union with the Holy See in Rome. This include the Eastern or Byzantine Rite Catholic Church, whose practices are more Eastern Greek Orthodox but are united with the Pope.
You mentioned that Catholics excommunicate people who do not believe like them. That is just a way to get rid of someone who disagrees with you, but it doesn’t make the Catholics more righteous.
 
Ignatius preaches in opposition to Jesus because Jesus said that anyone who does miracles in his name or is not against him is a Christian.
No he didn’t. St. Ignatius was taught by St. John the Apostle, and St. Peter. He believe in the real presence of Jesus Christ in Holy Bread at Mass.

He wrote the following;
Be not seduced by strange doctrines nor by antiquated fables, which are profitless. For if even unto this day we live after the manner of Judaism, we avow that we have not received grace… If then those who had walked in ancient practices attained unto newness of hope, no longer observing Sabbaths but fashioning their lives after the Lord’s day, on which our life also arose through Him and through His death which some men deny … how shall we be able to live apart from Him? … It is monstrous to talk of Jesus Christ and to practise Judaism. For Christianity did not believe in Judaism, but Judaism in Christianity — Ignatius to the Magnesians
If Jesus Christ, yielding to your prayer, grants me the favor and it is His will, I shall, in the subsequent letter which I intend to write to you, still further explain the dispensation which I have here only touched upon, regarding the New Man Jesus Christ–a dispensation founded on faith in Him and love for Him, on His Passion and Resurrection. I will do so especially if the Lord should reveal to me that you–the entire community of you!–are in the habit, through grace derived from the Name, of meeting in common, animated by one faith and in union with Jesus Christ–who in the flesh was of the line of David, the Son of Man and the Son of God–of meeting, I say, to show obedience with undivided mind to the bishop and the presbytery, and to break the same Bread, which is the medicine of immortality, the antidote against death, and everlasting life in Jesus Christ.
 
St. Ignatius of Antioch:
With joy in God I welcomed your community, which possesses its dearly beloved name because of a right disposition, enhanced by faith and love through Christ Jesus our Savior. Being imitators of God, you have, once restored to new life in the Blood of God, perfectly accomplished the task so natural to you. Indeed, as soon as you heard that I was coming from Syria in chains for our common Name and hope–hoping I might, thanks to your prayer, obtain the favor of fighting wild beasts at Rome and through this favor be able to prove myself a disciple–you hastened to see me. In the name of God, then, I have received your numerous community in the person of Onesimus, a man of indescribable charity and your bishop here on earth. I pray you in the spirit of Jesus Christ to love him, and wish all of you to resemble him. Blessed, indeed, is He whose grace made you worthy to possess such a bishop.
  1. As to my fellow servant Burrus, your deacon by God’s appointment and blessed with every gift, I wish he would stay at my side both for your honor and that of the bishop. But Crocus, too, a man of God and worthy of you, whom I received as a living example of your affection, has brought relief to me in every way; and I wish that the Father of Jesus Christ may comfort him in turn, as also Onesimus and Burrus and Euplus and Fronto, in whose persons I saw tokens of the affection of all of you. May you ever be my joy, if indeed I deserve it! It is therefore proper in every way to glorify Jesus Christ who has glorified you, so that you, fully trained in unanimous submission, may be submissive to the bishop and the presbytery, and thus be sanctified in every respect.
  2. I give you no orders as though I were somebody. For, even though I am in chains for the sake of the Name, I am not yet perfected in Jesus Christ. Indeed, I am now but being initiated into discipleship, and I address you as my fellow disciples. Yes, I ought to be anointed by you with faith, encouragement, patient endurance, and steadfastness. However, ,since affection does not permit me to be silent when you are concerned, I am at once taking this opportunity to exhort you to live in harmony with the mind of God. Surely, Jesus Christ, our inseparable life, for His part is the mind of the Father, just as the bishops, though appointed throughout the vast, wide earth, represent for their part the mind of Jesus Christ.
  3. Hence it is proper for you to act in agreement with the mind of the bishop; and this you do. Certain it is that your presbytery, which is a credit to its name, is a credit to God; for it harmonizes with the bishop as completely as the strings with a harp. This is why in the symphony of your concord and love the praises of Jesus Christ are sung. But you, the rank and file, should also form a choir, so that, joining the symphony by your concord, and by your unity taking your key note from God, you may with one voice through Jesus Christ sing a song to the Father. Thus He will both listen to you and by reason of your good life recognize in you the melodies of His Son. It profits you, therefore, to continue In your flawless unity, that you may at all times have a share in God.
  4. For a fact, if I in a short time became so warmly attached to your bishop–an attachment based not on human grounds but on spiritual–how much more do I count you happy who are as closely knit to him as the Church is to Jesus Christ, and as Jesus Christ is to the Father! As a result, the symphony of unity is perfect. Let no one deceive himself: unless a man is within the sanctuary, he has to go without the Bread of God. Assuredly, if the prayer of one or two has such efficacy, how much more that of the bishop and the entire Church! It follows, then: he who absents himself from the common meeting, by that very fact shows pride and becomes a sectarian; for the Scripture says: God resists the proud. Let us take care, therefore, not to oppose the bishop, that we may be submissive to God.
  5. Furthermore: the more anyone observes that a bishop is discreetly silent, the more he should stand in fear of him. Obviously, anyone whom the Master of the household puts in charge of His domestic affairs, ought to be received by us in the same spirit as He who has charged him with this duty. Plainly, then, one should look upon the bishop as upon the Lord Himself. Now, Onesimus for his part overflows with praise of the good order that, thanks to God, exists in your midst. Truth is the rule of life for all of you, and heresy has no foothold among you. The fact is, you have nothing more to learn from anyone, since you listen to Jesus Christ who speaks truthfully.-- St. Ignatius to the Ephesians
 
Ignatius preaches in opposition to Jesus because Jesus said that anyone who does miracles in his name or is not against him is a Christian.
I read most of his writings and they aren’t in opposition with Jesus Christ. How can John the Apostle taught Ignatius erroneous doctrine? Was not John the Apostle taught by Jesus Christ? I don’t think you know most of St. Ignatius writings. Becareful what you say to things you do not understand.
 
In what way, form or fashion can you interpret the bible? You are not a scholar. It appears to me that you have your own opinions based on nothing. Nowhere does it say in the bible that it is the only source. Your arguments I’m sorry to say are based on pure ignorance.
What makes you think that I’m not a scholar? I have a college degree. If my belief was based on nothing, then I wouldn’t be using scipture with it. And usually anyone who calls someone ignorant does that when they have nothing to stand on and uses it just to anger someone. What have I said that is ignorant? You didn’t even say what was ignorant.
 
Nowhere, but that’s not important since i’m not a protestant. I don’t care.
You are. Are you not a Protesting the teachings of the Catholic Church? You are protesting, and believe the CC is teaching contrary to the Bible. So you are a Protestant.

You aren’t Catholic. You aren’t Orthodox. You are a Protestant Christian.
 
Allan,

Supposing someone cannot afford a Bible or cannot read (something that was quite common before the printing press, and a problem for some people even today) . What are they to do?
15Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) 16In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. Romans 2:15
God knows peopoles hearts and if they never had a chance to hear the word of God, they have had a chance to be saved.
 
What makes you think that I’m not a scholar? I have a college degree.
In Scripture Studies? And you didn’t know that the word “Bishop” is in the Bible?
What have I said that is ignorant?
Would you like a list? You stated with certainty that the word “Bishop” cannot be found in the Bible.

You stated with certainty that the Hail Mary is prayed by making a mark like a cross.

And you keep denying that you are a sola scriptura Protestant - that is, a person who is not a Catholic, who believes that only what is in the Bible can be considered true with any certainty - despite the fact that you deny being Catholic, and you keep saying that everything has to be proven from Scripture.
 
Nowhere, but that’s not important since i’m not a protestant. I don’t care.
Let us define a Protestant Allan 1972

Protestant : is one who protest against the Church

Allan using this definition you are a protestant because you are protesting against the Church.

Here is a list of protestants (which are christian) allan
Just like us Catholics are Christian
  1. Lutherans
  2. Anglicans
  3. Baptist
  4. Methodist
  5. Presbytarians
  6. Church of Christ
  7. non denominational = means they have no affiliation with any group of churches like the southern baptist association.
the list continues and continues allan and all of these christian churches preach a different gospel, yet the Catholic Church preaches one gospel with one doctrine and yes over our 2000 year history our church has made a few changes, but not once in our 2000 year history have we made a mistake within the context of church doctrine or dogma
 
Oh, have you ripped the book of ACTS out of your Bible. It talks about what men such as Paul, Barnabas, Phillp and Peter said and did.

And then there are the Pauline Epistles, which is all about what Paul had to say to other men, such as Titus and Timothy
😉 😛
You missed the whole point of that thread. I’ve already mentioned in other posts that I believe the entire bible.
 
Brendan, you are wasting your time trying to explain. If the evidence of over a billion Catholics is worth less than a misunderstanding from ‘telly’ then it is unlikely that you will convince otherwise.

It is a shame that every religion has something to say about God. He does keep His wisdom exclusivly to Christianity. But, ‘if it is not in the bible’ then ‘they are in error’ or so they would say. To insult other religions without knowing anything about them is the very fanaticism 'the war on terror ’ is tryng to resolve.

You cannot engage using intelligent arguement against ill-informed, bigotted fanatics. Whatever you say, they will disagree with, no matter how absurd their arguements, they will continue to argue. That is the meaning of Protestant: to Protest 😛
I admit my confusion and mistake about that, but what is the scriptual basis for the sign of the cross. Why is it important to do it?
 
God knows peopoles hearts and if they never had a chance to hear the word of God, they have had a chance to be saved.
,
True, but supposing this person is approached by several missionaries, all claiming to follow the Bible but who teach contradicting doctrines (some teach the Trinity, some do not, some say you need to be baptised, others say you don’t, one saying you must be baptised in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit while another says you must be baptised only in the name of Jesus, etc, etc, etc.). Who is this person to believe? Did Jesus really intend his followers to be left in the lurch like that?
 
A Christian needs the Church and the Bible. It was the Church who gave us the Bible.
 
God knows peopoles hearts and if they never had a chance to hear the word of God, they have had a chance to be saved.
1)What about the folks that have not heard the word of God? how will they be “saved”
  1. What about the mormons who hear the word of God? Will they be saved" even if they beleive in Jospeh Smith and the book of mormon too?
  2. What about the JW’s who have heard the word of God? yet they are not allowed to ask questions and believe that they are the only ones who are going to paradise?
  3. What about the Muslims that believe in the propjesy of Muhhamed?
 
You missed the whole point of that thread. I’ve already mentioned in other posts that I believe the entire bible.
But it was written and promulgated by mere men. (Catholics, at that!!) Jesus Himself never wrote down a single word of it.
 
Reply to Manny:

no scripture you’ve quoted proves punishment in purgatory or hell before the end.

How does Jesus making Peter the foundation of the Church prove that the Catholic Church is the true church, just because you say it. Prove it. Ignatius was. And I’ve already said that I don’t recognize him as an athourity because he denies the truth that anyone who believes is a Chistian.
 
,
True, but supposing this person is approached by several missionaries, all claiming to follow the Bible but who teach contradicting doctrines (some teach the Trinity, some do not, some say you need to be baptised, others say you don’t, one saying you must be baptised in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit while another says you must be baptised only in the name of Jesus, etc, etc, etc.). Who is this person to believe? Did Jesus really intend his followers to be left in the lurch like that?
Well if all these people have bibles, since this was a hypothetical question, then he should learn to read and he can find out for himself. That would be the answer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top