Where is she?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Horizon18
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with staying away from **missionary dating **and completely secular girls.
What exactly is “missionary dating”? Does that mean dating multiple women concurrently without them knowing?
…] too bad only robot wives come in boxes.
Well, there are “mail order brides”. They aren’t shipped in physical boxes, but they’re certainly being used as objects.
 
What exactly is “missionary dating”? Does that mean dating multiple women concurrently without them knowing?

Well, there are “mail order brides”. They aren’t shipped in physical boxes, but they’re certainly being used as objects.
Missionary dating is dating a non-Christian (or even a non-Catholic) with the hope that you can “save” them or convert them.
 
I agree. While it is noble to want to marry within ones faith and quite often the simplest thing to do, one is limiting themselves and possibly completely by passing the chance of finding their one true mate. I heard a joke once that this thread reminds me of but for the life of me I cannot remember it or find it, but at the end of it The man asks God “Lord why didn’t you save me?” and God replies “Didn’t you see the life boats, the national guard and air rescue?”
It’s more than noble–it’s what we are called to do. Also, I don’t think that analogy applies because God would never send you a non-Christian to marry in the first place :confused: That would directly contradict His word. And it’s just asking for trouble. But most people (including myself depending on the day you ask me) are too impatient to wait for God’s best. It’s much easier to go out there and do what you want. While it *may *work, it won’t be God’s best.
 
I strongly reccommend that you read the following catechism on vocations (particularly the part on married life).

lxoa.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/a-catechism-on-vocations/

There are basically two types of marriages that a person can enter into. The first is when you are called to marriage and you marry the spouse that God has chosen for you. This type of marriage would serve to make you a better Catholic… This type of marriage would bring you closer to heaven and strengthen the bond that you have with God. It is important to note that, in this type of marriage, God would never lead you to marry a spouse who wasn’t already a practicing Catholic who accepts all the teachings of the church. In this type of marriage, you would also never take your spouse for lustful reasons (you would enter into this type of marriage primarly because you want to do God’s will… the same reason why a priest would enter into the priesthood). Remember what Sara said in the book of Tobias:

Tobit 3:16-18 - Source: biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Tobit+3&version=DRA

So, when we consider this, what purpose would we have to actively seek a spouse? Our purpose for taking a spouse is to follow God’s will… why would we ever want to fast-track such a thing? That’s not to say that one shouldn’t go on dates and be personable with others… But to specifically search for a spouse on your own with your own timeline is akin to saying to God “I want to do things my way, not yours”.

The second type of marriage is when two people get married who have not been called to marriage. This would include a Catholic dating a non-Catholic (or a non-practicing Catholic). As mentioned in the catechism, these types of marriages are extremely dangerous to one’s soul and can greatly inhibit one’s path to salvation (for example, one spouse might expect the other to commit mortal sin by using contraception or using natural family planning without having a truly serious reason). To enter into such a marriage one would have to actively reject God from their lives and decide to do things their own way.

I hope this helps. 🙂
This was great. This is how I’ve always felt but I never had the words to express it. 👍 Thank you.
 
She might be in another city. She might be in your city, but busy with volunteering and not “in the group”. Or shy, so she doesn’t grab a donut after Mass.

My thoughts are that you have a lot of questions to pray over, that only you can give the answers to:
  1. How open are you to online dating?
  2. How open are you to beginning something long-distance?
  3. Do you have the temperament and will to make a life with a woman who doesn’t share your spirituality?
I’m being pressured by family to give up my criteria of “Catholic” on my intentional boyfriend wishlist. But I’ve discerned, that for me personally, I can’t commit to share a life with a guy who might come to at best “put up with” my expression of the faith - talking about work projects (I work for a Catholic organization), living out Church teachings on sex and family, and being a co-partner in leading the family in growing up Catholic. The other issue I have is I know myself and don’t feel like God is calling me to actively try to convert someone or to bear the cross of disappointment when I can’t.

So if you discern either of the above is something you’re comfortable trying, by all means uncheck the box… but if not, start getting creative with you search. We single, fun but faithful gals do exist!
So, basically, if you spot a nice-looking girl leaving church without company and there is no wedding ring in sight, you need to move in for the kill. 😛 😉

Joking, of course, but it may come to approaching strangers if we are to bridge the gaps. I’ve never really had the nerve to do it in church (obviously not during Mass). One would basically need to avoid being overly nervous or otherwise creepy and have a nice small-talk subject ready at hand, I guess. It should probably become more natural after a couple of attempts. The first words would be the most difficult. The critical moment would be to survive the first minute or two of the conversation without leading to a thank you, goodbye.
 
Strangely enough people use the case of when a non-Catholic marries a Catholic and later the non-Catholic converts as proof that mixed marriages work.

BUT just as many Catholics fall FURTHER away from their faith because of mixed marriages.

I’d say good coming from such unions is not proof that such unions work OR even that they were God’s will but instead proof that God can make all things good, even things He didn’t want for us.
 
In the same ‘boat’ myself Single Catholic male under 30.

I do have Faith that God will provide…he does promise!

But it is not easy remaining faithful to the Chruch’s teachings when almost all my friends are married. More so when i see couples from ‘Mixed faiths’ who are quite happy.It’s a hard cross to bear that sometimes gnaws at a very deep level. I know i am called to a married vocation, but until i find that girl that God has in mind there will be a hole and an emptiness.

I’ve grown in my faith…I’ve learned there is a difference between being alone v/s being lonely. Thankfully these days i don’t feel very lonely. God’s grace is carrying me through.
Perhaps there is a good reason for all of this!!!

But i do agree- The Church as an institution must do more to help people find their right spouse. The Church does a good job of ‘promoting’ family values and backing that up with great Thoelogy but not enough is being done by them to help people locate their future spouse.They should make that a top priority.

That is what is on the minds of most young adults anyways and it will help draw that age group back to the Church…we want to meet people of our own age and hopefully our own partner for marriage.
 
I’ve grown in my faith…I’ve learned there is a difference between being alone v/s being lonely. Thankfully these days i don’t feel very lonely. God’s grace is carrying me through.
Perhaps there is a good reason for all of this!!!
I have a question. What is the difference between being alone and being lonely? o:
It is because I had learned from experience that both are one and the same. D:
 
I have a question. What is the difference between being alone and being lonely? o:
It is because I had learned from experience that both are one and the same. D:
I know you weren’t asking me but… I wanted to tackle the question.

To me… being alone is not having someone but being okay with it. Finding joy in life despite not having a partner.

Loneliness is despair. Loneliness is giving oneself over to one’s needs and desires and lamenting loss.
 
But i do agree- The Church as an institution must do more to help people find their right spouse. The Church does a good job of ‘promoting’ family values and backing that up with great Thoelogy but not enough is being done by them to help people locate their future spouse.They should make that a top priority.
Salvation is top priority. Back in the time of the Apostles even providing food for the hungry was not the top priority and the Apostles eventually ordained deacons to deal with that work in order to free themselves so they could focus on preaching (but it still must have been a big priority if specifically ordained ministers were tasked with it). And food for the hungry is much more important than spouses for the single. Especially “the right spouses”, as in helping everybody find someone special enough, soulmate, whatever (for people who won’t marry just about any faithful Catholic but want to be attracted to personality etc.).

On the other hand it certainly wouldn’t hurt to find more ministries for this type of thing.

Generally, I think it would probably be the most ground-breaking if people actually somehow got over the taboo against talking to strangers. I’ve had my head spin a couple of times in a church but never got myself to actually approach someone and start a conversation. Too weird, too taboo, I guess. But it probably shouldn’t be stopping anybody. The societal taboo is far less important than the potential chance lost.
 
Generally, I think it would probably be the most ground-breaking if people actually somehow got over the taboo against talking to strangers.
Exactly, chevalier! Maybe this makes me a weird woman, but I wouldn’t find it creepy if after a few weeks of a man seeing me regularly at Mass introduced himself. I attend a Mass at which the priest encourages us to greet one another, so we know with whom we are celebrating. Now, the traditionalists haaaate this (because it’s in addition to the Sign of Peace…and don’t get them started), but hey…to me it provides opportunities for men to be bold. 🙂 Example: after Mass - "Hi, B… right? [something humorously self-deprecating about the perceived cultural awkwardness followed by -‘lovely singing’ or ‘funny homily, eh’ or ‘there’s donuts, want one?’]
On the other hand it certainly wouldn’t hurt to find more ministries for this type of thing.
Completely with you. We need Catholic yentas! 🙂 Also, my non-demonimational, semi-evangelical Christian friends always speak highly of mentor couples - new young marrieds in the congregation who still socially embrace the singletons…and even set people up! Often in my Catholic social world the newly marrieds are rarely seen again (unless you’re also newly married, and eventually, newly pregnant/parenting). It’s especially unfortunate because the single men aren’t getting positive modeling of married life, only reinforcing the pleasures of the single life.

Ultimate lesson OP: “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.” And if you need GPS…pray! 👍
 
That’s not to say that one shouldn’t go on dates and be personable with others… But to specifically search for a spouse on your own with your own timeline is akin to saying to God “I want to do things my way, not yours”.
But this doesn’t seem to make sense. God won’t simply send us spouses. We need to make ourselves available to eligible individuals and possibly date several people to find a compatible spouse.
 
But this doesn’t seem to make sense. God won’t simply send us spouses. We need to make ourselves available to eligible individuals and possibly date several people to find a compatible spouse.
God will very much send you a spouse if you are called to marriage!

The trouble is that we live in a society that tells us that we have to “do for ourselves” to avoid catastrophy. It rejects the Truth that God is intimately present in each and every decision that we make in our daily lives and that He never gives us more then we can handle. Nothing happens by coincidence and it’s only when we give into the temptation of Satan that our lives become complicated. There are two things and only two things that we need to worry about in this life, that is: to love God with our whole heart and to love our neighbour by extension. If we can do these two things perfectly, then God will handle absolutely everything else! 🙂
 
I’ve had my head spin a couple of times in a church but never got myself to actually approach someone and start a conversation. Too weird, too taboo, I guess. But it probably shouldn’t be stopping anybody. The societal taboo is far less important than the potential chance lost.
Perhaps she’d be impressed by your courage if you tried to chat her up on the sidewalk outside the church after leaving mass, no? If you were to go to mass daily, and you see her there too, that would give you a reason to talk. “Hey, I see you here every day. You also appear to be wearing scrubs. Are you involved in health care?” There’s a convo starter! (Though don’t sound as lame as I did here 😛 )

I see some cute girls in mass that I recognise from the neighbourhood. I even saw one that I recognise from my building. I never talked to her even though I see her in the lobby occasionally. (Which, since I’m not Catholic … though I might be one day … she’d probably not be interested, if the attitudes I’ve seen thus far are indicative of a larger sampling of the population.)
Also, my non-demonimational, semi-evangelical Christian friends always speak highly of mentor couples - new young marrieds in the congregation who still socially embrace the singletons…and even set people up!
This is a fantastic idea!
Example: after Mass - "Hi, B… right?
You guys actually say each other’s names? The people at the church I attend look like they’re barely holding back their disgust when they have to say “peace be with you” to strangers. I’m scared to even look at some of them for fear of the barely contained scowls.
God will very much send you a spouse if you are called to marriage!

The trouble is that we live in a society that tells us that we have to “do for ourselves” to avoid catastrophy. It rejects the Truth that God is intimately present in each and every decision that we make in our daily lives and that He never gives us more then we can handle. Nothing happens by coincidence and it’s only when we give into the temptation of Satan that our lives become complicated. There are two things and only two things that we need to worry about in this life, that is: to love God with our whole heart and to love our neighbour by extension. If we can do these two things perfectly, then God will handle absolutely everything else! 🙂
But we have to actually get out and look if he is to help us find a spouse. Again, it’s a three-man effort. God, Man, Woman. The man and the woman have to not sit around playing World of Warcraft all day, have to go outside, have to open their mouths and talk to one another, etc. You aren’t going to be pleasantly surprised one day when a spouse-in-a-box® magically appears on your doorstep.

God just plants the idea in their heads or makes it click. I think a lot of what God does involves planting ideas or instincts in people – he’s very subtle and passive in this regard. But then one day it goes from being subtle to being like a lightbulb that just turns on for the first time.
 
Yes, SgtSchultz…some people in the pews say their names, some just say hello. It’s quite a joyous congregation, actually. 🙂

The issue with being bold is that some women may still be uncomfortable with a random hello on the sidewalk. Start small: wave. Next Mass, if you see her sitting alone, ask if the seat near her is taken and simply sit and exchange peace. When you want to engage in small getting to know you talk, be bashful. The right woman would find it endearing and recognize that sometimes this is how it’s done.
God will very much send you a spouse if you are called to marriage!
I’ve gotta say…this is not what I’ve been taught, nor is it what even what other Christians are taught. There’s an article on boundless.org about this very subject. Because God is outside of time, He knows if/who you’ll marry or won’t depending on your actions or those of other people. It’s mainly up to you and the specific person to discern if you are called to each other to make the sacrament - not “there was only one person who could be your spouse, and you missed the boat.”

We have to use our free will to cooperate with God’s will. Why prayer is so important!
 
Now hold on just a minute, doesn’t the Church allow marrying Protestants?
My priest discourages it as it puts the Catholic spouse at risk for not being able to fully practice his/her faith (Being Catholic is more than just going to Church on Sundays. It’s a lifestyle), and makes it difficult to raise the children Catholic.

The purpose of marriage is to have children and to get our families to heaven. It’s especially more difficult if a woman marries a non-Catholic husband, as she is to be subject to him and it’s his primary duty to see to the spiritual well-being of his family. He’s the one who is supposed to lead the family rosary, prayer, etc. Now roles will have to be reversed, things will be unstable. What if the spouse doesn’t accept the Church’s teachings on birth control? :eek:

I used to not care, but now I’d rather be single than to marry a non-Catholic, non-practicing Catholic, or a dissenting Catholic.
 
But we have to actually get out and look if he is to help us find a spouse. Again, it’s a three-man effort. God, Man, Woman. The man and the woman have to not sit around playing World of Warcraft all day, have to go outside, have to open their mouths and talk to one another, etc. You aren’t going to be pleasantly surprised one day when a spouse-in-a-box® magically appears on your doorstep.

God just plants the idea in their heads or makes it click. I think a lot of what God does involves planting ideas or instincts in people – he’s very subtle and passive in this regard. But then one day it goes from being subtle to being like a lightbulb that just turns on for the first time.
Agreed, but I think one’s reasons for not playing Warcraft should be out of love for God and for one’s neighbour (not to find a spouse). We need to seek to grow in charity and love and when we do this we will find that God will work for us in other ways! 🙂
 
Perhaps she’d be impressed by your courage if you tried to chat her up on the sidewalk outside the church after leaving mass, no? If you were to go to mass daily, and you see her there too, that would give you a reason to talk. “Hey, I see you here every day. You also appear to be wearing scrubs. Are you involved in health care?” There’s a convo starter! (Though don’t sound as lame as I did here 😛 )
I’ve done university, public transport, courthouse… but church steps are kinda extreme. One thing to say here is that the weirdness of the situation includes the fact that the purpose of striking a conversation with a strange woman is very obvious, while at that point you don’t know anything much about her and are certaintly not in a position to make commitments. On the other hand, I think if I actually had an opportunity to see some positive behaviours or signs of character to my liking, I probably would dare it and probably would pull it off. But it’s a weird thing to do.
I see some cute girls in mass that I recognise from the neighbourhood. I even saw one that I recognise from my building. I never talked to her even though I see her in the lobby occasionally. (Which, since I’m not Catholic … though I might be one day … she’d probably not be interested, if the attitudes I’ve seen thus far are indicative of a larger sampling of the population.)
Well, get Catholic and get things going with the girls! 😉
Agreed, but I think one’s reasons for not playing Warcraft should be out of love for God and for one’s neighbour (not to find a spouse). We need to seek to grow in charity and love and when we do this we will find that God will work for us in other ways! 🙂
Warcraft was in 1994. You surely mean World of Warcraft, don’t you? Unless you play Warcraft 3. Some people still do. I was in a Warcraft 2 clan once (studying law for exams was not comparatively as interesting back in 2004).
Exactly, chevalier! Maybe this makes me a weird woman, but I wouldn’t find it creepy if after a few weeks of a man seeing me regularly at Mass introduced himself.
Thanks. As I said, the stopping factor is that you only really see a person’s looks and some samples of behaviour plus the knowledge the person at least sometimes goes to church (well, you presume always when needed but still), while the move is kinda obvious, so it would be a bad letdown if you later became less interested.
 
I really feel like I’m in the same boat as some of the guys here, I really can’t find a guy if my life depended on it. It’s been very difficult for me, potentially for a different reason. I was raised agnostic and came into the faith at the age of 25. By that point I’d been a bit wild, and my family was and is still very, very crazy. I think that has made me less desirable, I mean noone wants a girl with baggage.The spring of 2005 I was knocked upside down by the Holy Spirit. It’s a long story but I came to believe and now I go to mass daily, pray daily, even when I don’t feel like it, am passionately prolife and love God with my whole heart, I pray in front of abortion clinics and spend a good deal of my time helping women in crisis pregnancies (it’s my thing). What’s a girl who’s converted with her whole heart and soul from the insanity of a sick and suffering family to do?
From what I’ve discerned religious communities, regardless of how pious you might presently be really want women to come from a solid foundation and not chaos, which I totally get. My question is can anyone look beyond the craziness I endured as a kid and young adult and see that there is value in a convert?
 
I really feel like I’m in the same boat as some of the guys here, I really can’t find a guy if my life depended on it. It’s been very difficult for me, potentially for a different reason. I was raised agnostic and came into the faith at the age of 25. By that point I’d been a bit wild, and my family was and is still very, very crazy. I think that has made me less desirable, I mean noone wants a girl with baggage.The spring of 2005 I was knocked upside down by the Holy Spirit. It’s a long story but I came to believe and now I go to mass daily, pray daily, even when I don’t feel like it, am passionately prolife and love God with my whole heart, I pray in front of abortion clinics and spend a good deal of my time helping women in crisis pregnancies (it’s my thing). What’s a girl who’s converted with her whole heart and soul from the insanity of a sick and suffering family to do?
From what I’ve discerned religious communities, regardless of how pious you might presently be really want women to come from a solid foundation and not chaos, which I totally get. My question is can anyone look beyond the craziness I endured as a kid and young adult and see that there is value in a convert?
Yes, of course. Plus, plenty of Catholics are converts. Plenty of men themselves “have baggage” too. It wouldn’t be too hard to find someone in a similar situation or in a healthier situation but with an understanding.

For the record, I’ve scared a woman recently with a family tale too. Some women won’t touch you if you’re from a broken family.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top