Where sin begins in same-sex physical intimacy

  • Thread starter Thread starter SMGS127
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should remember that before the modern sex craze, it was not uncommon for same-sex friends to be seen as “couples”, to show public displays of affection, to raise children together (in the case of having been “made brothers” by the Church), to proclaim their undying love, and even sleep in the same bed, but presumably in a chaste manner.

All this talk of near occasion of sin (and even scandal - but I’ll stay away from it other than to say people should learn minding their own business) seems to imply that gay people should live like if stranded on an island, with no hope of personal (as opposed to sexual) intimacy. The problem is that this increases sexual temptation, instead of lowering it. I see nothing wrong with two members of the same sex living together, being personally intimate, and, actually, even adopting children together - there are many children in need, and no one will ever convince me it’s somehow better for a child to live in an orphanage than together with two adoptive parents of the same sex.

This has been done in the Church earlier; it is ancient practice and very traditional. It is inaccurate to use adelphopoiesis as a precedent for gay marriage, but it is a precedent for same-sex, chaste “families”. If such an alternative was more culturally accepted among Catholics, I think being gay would be a much lighter cross to bear.

As to details of what’s okay and not - couples would be responsible to make their own boundaries - it’s impossible to tell people whether kissing is okay or not. It depends on the people involved. I don’t necessarily see it as a problem - if it was, it would be sinful for unmarried heterosexual couples as well.
Indeed, it is also important to note that we know that that type of relationship was not perceived as marriage because it was seen as transcending death whereas marriage very much was seen (and does) end at death. Yes, friendship was seen as far more permanent than marriage.
 
I wish I had more time to respond, but I’m getting ready to head into the wilderness for the next week.
Because sexual orientation goes past sexual desire; it also goes to your very core as a being, and your ability to connect to that person. Pheromones do not limit themselves to your libido; they also bond you in ways that you can’t reach without them. Unlike the vast majority of women (>98% of the Williams Institute surveys), I can never experience that emotional connection to a man. Ever. But being in an emotional relationship with another woman would allow me to experience that without a need to engage in any form of sexual activity.

Why do you consider the desire for emotional intimacy with another woman to be inappropriate? We are not discussing an engagement of one’s physical libido but rather an establishment of a very strong, emotional bond that I can only find in the arms of another woman with SSA.
I was trying to get at how much the level of physicality has to do with emotional bonding between friends and how much it goes to sexual desire. I have several friends (male and female) whom I have very deep emotional connections with. That being said I do not need to passionately kiss them to reach that level of connectedness.

Yes, I have a deeper emotional bond with my wife, but that is not purely because of the physical nature of our relationship. In some ways I think the physicality of our relationship can occasionally be a hindrance to emotional bonding. In other words, while physicality can be a bonder, I do not think it is an absolute requirement to have a deep bond with another person.

I am not concerned with someone with SSA having an emotional bond with someone else with SSA. I think we all need emotional bonds with others, but if we only seek out the deepest bonds with those we are sexually attracted I do see that as an area of concern. When someones says that “making out” is required to achieve that bond it implies an attachment to the physical that could be unhealthy. We should be able to have deep meaningful relationships without having to passionately kiss each other.
I think that’s a little bit harsh. I feel uncomfortable even holding the hand of someone I’m interested in front of my grandparents. And that uncomfortability is due to the cultural norms of their generation, not immorality of actions.
I suspect I am closer to your age then your grandparents, but I was taught that any display of affection you have to do with your love interest in private is not chaste. A kiss on the cheek or forehead - chaste. 10 minutes of passionate kissing - not chaste. Holding hands - chaste. Laying in a full body embrace - not chaste.

The reason I used your grandparents is I have seen plenty of kids have no problem playing tongue hockey in front of their parents and the world. The laxity and relativism that has come about since the sexual revolution has seriously distorted what is considered chaste (assuming most people even knew what the word meant).
Not at all. The potential relationships I describe would not in any way reference a pseudo-marriage. For one, there is no sex or even potentiality of sex, so how could I possibly reach the physical bond that a spouse shares?

I disagree. There is no talk of children, no talk of sex. While two people in this relationship may call each other their girlfriends to those whom it would not cause scandal to, it is meant in a deeply emotional manner, and the trajectory is vastly different than the trajectory for a heterosexual couple looking forward towards marriage. I see no inherent problem with physical contact improving one’s emotional bond, as long as said physical contact isn’t inherently immoral. Which brings me to…
What I meant by pseudo-marriage is something that would replace marriage since it’s not an option for those that are exclusively SSA. I guess I am talking about an exclusive physical and emotional relationship; something that goes beyond good friends. It doesn’t have to include actual sexual intercourse. I guess what I’m seeing is essentially something akin to a SSA Josephite marriage.

I guess I cannot ever jive what you describe as making out with chastity. Yes in the past friends of the same sex may have shared a bed and given each other kisses, but I do not see anything that implies that they would lay naked and kiss for hours.

At this point I will leave you all to your discussions as we seem to have reached the point of talking circles around each other. Both camps believe their POV is correct and cannot be swayed otherwise. Wish you all the best.
 
In various examinations of conscience, making out, or passionate kissing, is included:

catholicnewsagency.com/resources/sacraments/reconciliation/examination-of-conscience/
Did I engage in acts such as “petting,” “necking,” passionate kisses, or prolonged embraces?
From St Alphonsus (Doctor of Moral Theology):
…]every time someone with sufficient reflection and full consent of the will delights in carnal or sensual pleasure associated with to whom he is not married he commits a mortal sin. This is not only true with kisses but also with respect to other touches performed for carnal pleasure. The reason is that any delight taken in carnal pleasure, that is to say any delight taken in stirring up the appetites which surround the creative power, is a movement towards the martial act…]
From the Denzinger catecheticsonline.com/SourcesofDogma12.php:
1140 40. It is a probable opinion which states that a kiss is only venial when performed for the sake of the carnal and sensible * delight which arises from the kiss, if danger of further consent and pollution is excluded.
That is one of the erroneous propositions in moral matters that are condemned.

From EWTN:
Directly Stimulating Actions
The first is the action that is, by its very nature, so closely related to the sexual desires that they serve no other purpose except to stimulate and arouse the persons involved. Some examples of these would be: prolonged and passionate kissing, impure embracing or petting, and sexual intercourse.
These actions are always gravely wrong between unmarried people, and no “good intention” can ever make them right. If the action is committed intentionally and with sufficient reflection, then it is a mortal sin.
 
From Moral Theology - A Complete Course Based on St. Thomas Aquinas and the Best Modern Authorities, by John A McHugh, O.P. and Charles J. Callan, O.P.
That even slight yielding to impurity is a serious peril is the teaching of Scripture (which declares that lust has killed even the strongest, Prov., vii. 26), of the Church (which condemns the opinion that libidinous kisses are not dangerous, see Denzinger, Enchiridion, n.1140), of theology (which reminds us that by original sin reason has been darkened, the will enfeebled and the passions strengthened), and of experience (which shows that those who expose themselves to passion’s flame will be burnt). A small spark of fire is not trivial in the vicinity of a powder magazine, a minute flaw in a machine is not unimportant if it may bring on disaster, a first step is not safe if it is made on a slippery downward declivity.
 
I was trying to get at how much the level of physicality has to do with emotional bonding between friends and how much it goes to sexual desire. I have several friends (male and female) whom I have very deep emotional connections with. That being said I do not need to passionately kiss them to reach that level of connectedness.
I never said I “needed” to passionately kiss a girlfriend. I just said that it improves the emotional bond in a way that does not necessarily use sexual faculties.
Yes, I have a deeper emotional bond with my wife, but that is not purely because of the physical nature of our relationship. In some ways I think the physicality of our relationship can occasionally be a hindrance to emotional bonding. In other words, while physicality can be a bonder, I do not think it is an absolute requirement to have a deep bond with another person.
I agree. But I also do not think it to be something (outside of sexual activities) uniquely tied to marriage.
I am not concerned with someone with SSA having an emotional bond with someone else with SSA. I think we all need emotional bonds with others, but if we only seek out the deepest bonds with those we are sexually attracted I do see that as an area of concern. When someones says that “making out” is required to achieve that bond it implies an attachment to the physical that could be unhealthy. We should be able to have deep meaningful relationships without having to passionately kiss each other.
But this is my problem. “Need;” “required;” Where are you getting these terms? Nowhere have I said it is needed or required. I have said that there is no necessary prohibition against it, and it can help build an emotional bond between two people committed to taking care of each other emotionally.
I suspect I am closer to your age then your grandparents, but I was taught that any display of affection you have to do with your love interest in private is not chaste. A kiss on the cheek or forehead - chaste. 10 minutes of passionate kissing - not chaste. Holding hands - chaste. Laying in a full body embrace - not chaste.
Which is a product of the sexual repression movement that has happened the last century, mostly by Puritans, I might add. Before the 20th Century, very very few things indeed were linked to marriage: sex and childrearing were pretty much the only two things uniquely tied to marriage. It has only been recently that people have gone into sexual meltdowns because they so much as (:eek:) touched a girl’s arm. Speaking exaggerated, of course, but making out has, historically, not been seen as either a uniquely marital activity nor as a lead-up to sex.
The reason I used your grandparents is I have seen plenty of kids have no problem playing tongue hockey in front of their parents and the world. The laxity and relativism that has come about since the sexual revolution has seriously distorted what is considered chaste (assuming most people even knew what the word meant).
No, the current “you cannot do anything physical whatsoever ever with any person because it might possibly lead you to sex” movement is the relativistic movement. It is a modern concept that has no basis in history.
What I meant by pseudo-marriage is something that would replace marriage since it’s not an option for those that are exclusively SSA. I guess I am talking about an exclusive physical and emotional relationship; something that goes beyond good friends. It doesn’t have to include actual sexual intercourse. I guess what I’m seeing is essentially something akin to a SSA Josephite marriage.
No, because a Josephite marriage still involves the possibilities of childrearing (through adoption) and the reality of a Sacramental bond. This is nothing like a marriage at all. At closest, you would be calling it a commitment ceremony, which is only a small part of what a Josephite marriage entails.
I guess I cannot ever jive what you describe as making out with chastity. Yes in the past friends of the same sex may have shared a bed and given each other kisses, but I do not see anything that implies that they would lay naked and kiss for hours.
Where are you getting these ideas? Nowhere in this thread have I said I would “lay naked” while making out with my girlfriend. Rau asked me if that’s what I meant when I said I had a natural desire to sleep with women, and I said [to prove the point about near occasion of sin] that I could lay naked next to a girl and still have full control over my actions. You are bringing in topics that aren’t being discussed in the thread.
At this point I will leave you all to your discussions as we seem to have reached the point of talking circles around each other. Both camps believe their POV is correct and cannot be swayed otherwise. Wish you all the best.
Which is a shame, because I specifically started this thread to get actual theological arguments from people. Instead, this is the second post accusing me of intransigence on the issue, when all I have ever asked is for some form of evidence that this would be sinful in any way, and I have been mostly left to dry. Which leads me to…
 
In various examinations of conscience, making out, or passionate kissing, is included:

catholicnewsagency.com/resources/sacraments/reconciliation/examination-of-conscience/

From St Alphonsus (Doctor of Moral Theology):

From the Denzinger catecheticsonline.com/SourcesofDogma12.php:

That is one of the erroneous propositions in moral matters that are condemned.

From EWTN:
The problem I have with many quotes of the kind you post, is that some (not all) of what is being said is very much affected by the context of time and culture. Some of the specific examples in the texts above would actually be perfectly fine at some places and times during the Middle Ages, and some would for sure be perfectly fine now.

One has to distinguish between sexual pleasure (which is what is probably meant by carnal pleasure) and non-sexual physical pleasure. I for one would not in any way see receiving a scalp massage as sinful in any sense of the word, but it is very pleasurable. I see no difference between that and let’s say holding a friend while watching a movie. All of these things can be done sexually or platonically. The latter would not be sinful. Various expressions of “platonic” intimacy have been condemned by theologians on grounds of cultural context, not immemorial teaching. It is important to keep this in mind - just as we have to do with regards to standards of modesty, use of language and virtually every other area that is affected by time and culture.
 
In various examinations of conscience, making out, or passionate kissing, is included:
WHOO EVIDENCE!! Thank you Cesar!
From EWTN:
Directly Stimulating Actions
I would like to address the EWTN quote first, because I generally do not trust EWTN to stop itself at Church teaching when discussing moral theology. It is fantastic on faith issues and on the history of the Church, but as I told a member who PMed me with EWTN’s guidelines, they have a history of going far beyond what the Church teaches in what they advise. They are a good resource when debating strongly taught teachings (contraception, abortion, premarital sex), but they are also run by uber-conservatives who go much further on many issues. So on issues that have not been discussed or taught about, I generally avoid them. And before anyone complains, I would certainly prefer an uber-conservative (EWTN, NCRegister) source than an uber-liberal (NCReporter) source on the issue, as it is better to be too strict than too lenient, or, God forbid, heterodox, but I trust neither to stop itself at a reasonable area.
From Moral Theology - A Complete Course Based on St. Thomas Aquinas and the Best Modern Authorities, by John A McHugh, O.P. and Charles J. Callan, O.P.
This is an interesting quote, but it only deals with near occasion of sin, an issue I have repeatedly said is not of concern, as near occasions of sin have literally nothing to do with the inherent [im]morality of an action.
From St Alphonsus (Doctor of Moral Theology):
Here you go. This is the first thing anyone has posted that has actually made me question my position. I have a few questions for you in regards to his quote though:

a) Women hug each other in order to improve their emotional bond, but it also causes carnal/sensual pleasure on a minor scale; would that necessitate a mortal sin? If not, what differentiates it from kissing, passionate or otherwise?

b) Could not St. Alphonsus’s opinion be unduly biased by his being a heterosexual male? Needless to say, heterosexual men are going to see kissing or making out in a much different light than homosexual women. It seems ridiculous to attribute a non-sexual action as inherently tied to sex for everyone just because it is for you.

c) Considering his reasoning is based on an assumption that the act is taken in order to achieve the “delight” of “stirring up the appetites,” would this not almost certainly mean that the morality of the action itself is entirely based on the intentions of those engaging in it mixed with whether or not the action is a near occasion of sin for that couple? If a couple engages in the act for a reason other than “stirring up the appetites” and have sufficient self-control to keep themselves barred from doing so, it would seem his quote would not apply.
 
WHOO EVIDENCE!! Thank you Cesar!

I would like to address the EWTN quote first, because I generally do not trust EWTN to stop itself at Church teaching when discussing moral theology. It is fantastic on faith issues and on the history of the Church, but as I told a member who PMed me with EWTN’s guidelines, they have a history of going far beyond what the Church teaches in what they advise. They are a good resource when debating strongly taught teachings (contraception, abortion, premarital sex), but they are also run by uber-conservatives who go much further on many issues. So on issues that have not been discussed or taught about, I generally avoid them. And before anyone complains, I would certainly prefer an uber-conservative (EWTN, NCRegister) source than an uber-liberal (NCReporter) source on the issue, as it is better to be too strict than too lenient, or, God forbid, heterodox, but I trust neither to stop itself at a reasonable area.
Über conservative? seriously?? Far from it. I think they are moderate in various topics.

If you check Moral Theology manuals you are going to be very surprised then.

Sadly, in recent decades many topics have been left untouched by catechists, Priests, etc.
This is an interesting quote, but it only deals with near occasion of sin, an issue I have repeatedly said is not of concern, as near occasions of sin have literally nothing to do with the inherent [im]morality of an action.
What about concupiscence?

Also, that quote makes mention of the condemned proposition that is listed under the numeral 1140 40 from the Denzinger that deals exactly with this.
Here you go. This is the first thing anyone has posted that has actually made me question my position. I have a few questions for you in regards to his quote though:

a) Women hug each other in order to improve their emotional bond, but it also causes carnal/sensual pleasure on a minor scale; would that necessitate a mortal sin? If not, what differentiates it from kissing, passionate or otherwise?

b) Could not St. Alphonsus’s opinion be unduly biased by his being a heterosexual male? Needless to say, heterosexual men are going to see kissing or making out in a much different light than homosexual women. It seems ridiculous to attribute a non-sexual action as inherently tied to sex for everyone just because it is for you.

c) Considering his reasoning is based on an assumption that the act is taken in order to achieve the “delight” of “stirring up the appetites,” would this not almost certainly mean that the morality of the action itself is entirely based on the intentions of those engaging in it mixed with whether or not the action is a near occasion of sin for that couple? If a couple engages in the act for a reason other than “stirring up the appetites” and have sufficient self-control to keep themselves barred from doing so, it would seem his quote would not apply.
The thing, is that he states that these acts are linked to the marital act.
 
What about concupiscence?
What about it? I am discussing using a disordered desire to further a moral good, in helping to keep each other celibate and in good health, psychologically and physiologically.
Also, that quote makes mention of the condemned proposition that is listed under the numeral 1140 40 from the Denzinger that deals exactly with this.
The censured quote was, as follows:
It is a probable opinion which states that a kiss is only venial when performed for the sake of the carnal and sensible * delight which arises from the kiss, if danger of further consent and pollution is excluded.
Emphasis mine. I am not discussing making out for the “sake of the carnal and sensible delight.” I am discussing making out for the purpose of strengthening an emotional bond. It is obvious why the statement was censured, as it basically says one can make out with lust venially if there is no risk of sexual activity afterwards, which is a clear violation of Catholic doctrine. But I am talking about making out without lust, which is a different topic entirely.
The thing, is that he states that these acts are linked to the marital act.
He actually says that “any delight taken in stirring up the appetites which surround the creative power” is linked to the marital act, not the act inherently. And just as St. Paul was affected by his cultural norms (e.g. women need to cover their heads in Mass, women can’t speak during Mass) that no longer apply today, so was St. Alphonsus affected not just by cultural norms but also by his libido and gender. He seems to make it very clear that making out (or kissing) leads him to lust. But that is not always the case with every person, nor has it historically been the case until very recently. Making out has never been a core uniquity to the marital act nor even to marriage nor even to dating until the Puritans freaked out during the last century.
 
What about it? I am discussing using a disordered desire to further a moral good, in helping to keep each other celibate and in good health, psychologically and physiologically.

The censured quote was, as follows:

Emphasis mine. I am not discussing making out for the “sake of the carnal and sensible delight.” I am discussing making out for the purpose of strengthening an emotional bond. It is obvious why the statement was censured, as it basically says one can make out with lust venially if there is no risk of sexual activity afterwards, which is a clear violation of Catholic doctrine. But I am talking about making out without lust, which is a different topic entirely.

He actually says that “any delight taken in stirring up the appetites which surround the creative power” is linked to the marital act, not the act inherently. And just as St. Paul was affected by his cultural norms (e.g. women need to cover their heads in Mass, women can’t speak during Mass) that no longer apply today, so was St. Alphonsus affected not just by cultural norms but also by his libido and gender. He seems to make it very clear that making out (or kissing) leads him to lust. But that is not always the case with every person, nor has it historically been the case until very recently. Making out has never been a core uniquity to the marital act nor even to marriage nor even to dating until the Puritans freaked out during the last century.
Are you sure?

The Denzinger quote is from Alexander VII papacy, in the XVII century.

Have you heard the sermon I linked?
 
Also, have you thought about the other person involved and their response to lust?
 
Are you sure?

The Denzinger quote is from Alexander VII papacy, in the XVII century.

Have you heard the sermon I linked?
It says the sermon is missing.

Also, the Denzinger quote, again, was attempting to defend the ability of one to lustfully make out with another person without committing grave matter. Such would never be okay, even if there was no near occasion of sin, which Pope Alexander VII clearly states. But making out is not an inherently evil action. Intentions are thus important when discussing it. Again, only in the last century has making out been seen as somehow “unique” to marital relations. Again, in Victorian England, women would make out and have other physical intimacy short of sex with their female friends while their husbands were at work. The physical intimacy and making out were seen as strengthening their emotional bond, whereas sex and childrearing were seen as unique to the marriage. This has traditionally been the view throughout history, before the Puritans got mad that, as the popular saying goes, “someone, somewhere is enjoying themselves.”

One can make out without engaging lust; I don’t know what’s so hard for people to understand about this. Are people’s libidos and lustful appetites so out of control now that it’s impossible to so much as lovingly kiss someone without uncontrollably having sex with them? I mean, seriously, this is ridiculous. I cannot be the only person who can make out with someone without feeling like I must have sex with them.
Also, have you thought about the other person involved and lust?
Yes! Which is why you discuss it before the relationship starts (or gets serious) and you make sure that whatever boundaries they need to keep from lusting are being met as well.
 
Go to the page I linked, look at the temporary link, right click, and “save as”.

I want to see sources that corroborate that making out between females was something acceptable and with no lust involved through history.
 
Go to the page I linked, look at the temporary link, right click, and “save as”.

I want to see sources that corroborate that making out between females was something acceptable and with not lust involved through history.
I’m not downloading a file to my computer; sorry.

As for romantic friendships, this is a wonderful short read, and you can look into the sources if you so wish.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_friendship
The term romantic friendship refers to a very close but non-sexual relationship between friends, often involving a degree of physical closeness beyond that which is common in the contemporary Western societies, and may include for example holding hands, hugging, kissing, and sharing a bed.
The term was coined in the later 20th century in order to retrospectively describe a type of relationship which until the mid 19th century had been considered unremarkable but since the second half of the 19th century had become more rare as physical intimacy between non-sexual partners came to be regarded with anxiety.
Emphasis mine.
 
Maybe some of these sources are revisionist, that is, they would try to force things and make a good argument for certain contemporary agendas.

But for the moment, I don’t have time for these.
 
Try this link:

files.audiosancto.org/20060730-Review-of-Sins-Against-the-6th-and-9th-Commandments.mp3

I knew that article.

But, does it mention making out?
Thank you, that link works.

I think we are using different definitions of “passionate kissing.” I am using passionate kissing merely to mean kissing that lasts longer than a few seconds, that may or may not involve the use of tongues, end of definition, which is why I prefer the term “making out.” In the sermon, he uses passionate kissing to mean, literally, kisses of sexual passion. As St. Alphonsus says, kissing specifically for the passions or for the delight of kissing is mortally sinful, but this would involve any type of kiss that led to the inflammation of lust. On the contrary, I use the term “making out” because it has a much more strict, physiological definition of the actions involved in said kiss, but makes no assumptions on the intentions behind such a kiss. On the other hand, people generally think of the push for sexual pleasure when they consider the term “passionate kissing,” as if the term necessarily somehow means someone is kissing to achieve some aroused state.

I don’t think we are discussing the same thing. I am talking about prolonged kissing for the improvement of an emotional bond, not lustfully maximizing one’s internal pleasure.
 
SMGS - could you imagine a relationship such as you contemplate with your sibling (sister)? Would that be no less proper?
 
SMGS - could you imagine a relationship such as you contemplate with your sibling (sister)? Would that be no less proper?
I disagree with this concept. I have never once suggested that the relationship not be romantic; indeed, I have theorized that the relationship is fully able to be romantic and be moral.

Historically, romantic relationships/friendships that did not involve sex were performed with extremely close friends; indeed, they were not necessarily homosexual in nature, and lesbians historically actually took advantage of the commonality of such occasions to clandestinely have sex under the guise of a romantic relationship. Historically, people were just as averse to pursuing intrafamilial romantic relationships/friendships as they were to pursuing intrafamilial marital relationships.

So I see no reason that my aversion (or view that it is improper) to having such a relationship with my sister somehow implies that it is immoral. There is no theological evidence that a romantic relationship must be confined to marital discernment if one has no concurrent obligation (either as a religious, priest, or spouse) and the romantic relationship involves no sex or lusting/seeking of “delight.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top