TWO
I donāt know how to work the quote thingy too well, so youāll have to string along.
Thatās OK, I like to reply āin lineā anyway.
The two sentences re belief are not in opposition. I said that you donāt have to believe a lot of doctrine and dogma to be saved by God. I said that the only thing you do have to believe in is the One He sent: His son Jesus Christ. If you donāt believe in hell you could be wrong, and it could be discussed, however God will not send you to the hell you donāt believe in because you donāt believe it exists. No contradiction.
How can salvation be predicated upon belief? Beliefs are not voluntary. Is it right to punish or reward for that which is involuntary?
Re saints. I donāt read the saints - what they personally believed is of no interest to me. Iāve studied a few - Iām not against them. St. Teresa of Avila, St. Francis de Salles. My problem is that weāre not supposed to be getting our beliefs from different saints - this is why youāre all upset to begin with. I think we should stick to the bible - maybe the CCC - Iām not even sure about that but you do need something to make you understand your faith. I like using the Holy Spirit myself and my own rapport with Jesus - but maybe that doesnāt work for everyone? So Iām not putting anyone down.
If you care to discuss what the bible says, fine - if you want to throw the saints at me, Iām not willing. Augustine had his to say, then Anselm contradicted it, then he himself changed his mind on some things before dying. Saints have had visions that are not in conjunction with what I read in the bible, etc etc. People here who know me a bit, know how I feel about this. Just to clarify.
I donāt believe what many Catholic saints say either. I suppose many of them were severely mentally ill. Iām sad for the sheer amount of suffering they seem to have undergone!
Plus, you should reread my whole pp. Itās the total opposite of how you unerstood it. Your prejudice (pre judgement) affects you too much!
Iām not sure what you mean. I am definitely prejudiced about many things.
Debating. You donāt sound like a young kid PumpkinCookie. Neither am I. Hereās why I donāt debate: It doesnāt change anybodyās mind! Iāve spoken to many atheists. Some are sincere and you could tell. Some just want to carry on forever. No time or inclination for that. Do I sound like an unreasonable person to you?? How about a reasonable person who doesnāt like to debate at infinitum without good reason?
Fair enough. I used to be a serious traditionalist Catholic. I changed my mind through debate, research, reflection, and prayer. Hell is a particularly damaging belief though, so I argue against it because I think it is untrue, harmful, and blasphemous. Maybe Iām wrong, my mind is open to change.
Grace. No need for you to explain grace to me. One quick question: Do you think God gives grace even to unbelievers? And that whole pp I quoted from a previous post of yours requires an answer all to itself. If you understand grace so well, how come your perception of it is so skewed?? And the problem with understanding free will⦠Once again, are you just being sarcastic?
I donāt believe in grace as is it formulated by the Church. I think we all have the power to do what is right and we all have the power to disobey, by nature. I am being sarcastic (previously). I think the Catholic notion of free will is self-contradictory and self-destructive.
Judging you. Much confusion about judging. Judge not lest ye be judged. OR if you see a brother sinning, correct him. Which is it? Mathew 7:1 and Galatians 6:1
We are not to judge others in the sense that how can we know if a BROTHER is lost or not. We are not to judge in this way. Only God can judge. On the other hand if someone blasphemes God or the Holy Spirit I have no doubt of the judgement since the word of God tell me this. I can say it if in discussion. And if we see a brother sinning - a whole different matter - we should go to him, but no one of us does this anymore unless itās someone in the family or something comes up in discussion.
I am fine with you judging me, donāt worry about it.

I appreciate candor and honesty.
Job: Okay! We agree on something. Only God knows why bad things happen. You could blame it on evil on original sin the sin nature, whatever - when you get right down to the SOURCE, there is no answer.
There is an answer, but only God knows it. Our minds canāt handle it, according to the author of Job. I agree.
Not accepting unreasonable beliefs. I agree with your statement; however, how is believing in hell unreasonable? Didnāt Jesus speak about it a lot? Do you believe in the New Testament? Do you not believe Jesus knew what He was talking about?
I believe eternal hell is intrinsically unreasonable and self-contradictory, given the axiomatic beliefs of Christianity. There is a thread in the philosophy forum called āIs eternal suffering pointless?ā where I have painstakingly spelled this out in many different ways. Millions or possibly tens of millions of people have had the same insights. Some people think Jesus spoke about it, but it could be the result of translation error, among other things. I do not believe the New Testament is inspired by God. I do not believe the Catholic Church knows what it is talking about, and I have no idea what Jesus himself thought or talked about. I have only a fourth hand account of what he said to go on.