Why are Americans universally despised today?

  • Thread starter Thread starter romano
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Shoshana:
Fitz, Aimee, WhiteDove, and the many others…

I am not trying to pick a fight. I try to be as down to earth as possible. And I call them as I see them…usually.
I don’t begrudge you your opinion Shoshana. I know you have a good heart.
40.png
Shoshana:
Code:
....
Now we were raised all Catholics with all of its teaching. On the surface this may seem the case…but the reality is, my family is far from being Catholic at all. It doesn’t matter that people compliment us on our being a beautiful family…it doesn’t matter that it makes great family reunions…the fact of the matter is that we truly are not…

And this is how I see the US (since they claim to be Christian). I do not know of any other country who makes this claim. Am I being understood here???

I do not want to make enemies with anyone…I love you guys (and gals)…so try to understand…😦

Blessnigs,
Shoshana

Ok, so we know that you don’t see us as Christian. I have only ever claimed that we were founded on Christian principals. Many still claim to be Christian. However, groups like the ACLU and the far left are busy attacking from within and doing their very best to attack what is left of the Christian founding principals. I do believe that there are many European countries that think they are Catholic, but we know that is in name only also. The European Union won’t claim Christianity as their roots in their constitution.

As far as abortion, divorce, drugs, ehthanasia, etc. I don’t claim that we are better than other countries but we did not invent those ills nor do we export them. Other countries have their own problems. I don’t expound on the injustices done to Irish by the English for example. I may have an opinion, but I don’t live there.

I do know that in spite of what other countries want to point to us and complain about, we have people coming here legally and illegally at a fast rate.

I love my country, and I don’t feel that we are despised. I know many question the war in Iraq, but they never question when we give aid for the ills around the world. No one plasters that on the front page for it would not sell papers.

Shoshana, you have a right to your opinions and I don’t think you are always right or wrong. I don’t base my feelings about you by how I think of your government, or by the liberal leanings of your country. You are yourself, and that is all I care about. I think most people feel the same when they meet someone from another country. You have not offended me.
 
40.png
walstan:
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary:

REGIME; *n. *regimen: administration.- Also **Regime **[Fr.,-L. *regimen.
]

English Oxford:

regime // n. (also régime)
1 a a method or system of government. b derog. a particular government.
2 a prevailing order or system of things.
3 the conditions under which a scientific or industrial process occurs.
4 a (medical) regimen.
[French régime (as regimen)]

So you may call it an administration but it’s still a Regime.

Uhhh…in the first definition do you see the abreviation derog? Meaning derogatory? Otherwise, a slur? Nice try.

Main Entry: de·rog·a·to·ry
Pronunciation: di-'rä-g&-"tOr-E, -"tor-
Function: adjective
1 : detracting from the character or standing of something – often used with to, of, or from
2 : expressive of a low opinion : DISPARAGING
 
40.png
Lurch104:
Uhhh…in the first definition do you see the abreviation derog? Meaning derogatory? Otherwise, a slur? Nice try.

Main Entry: de·rog·a·to·ry
Pronunciation: di-'rä-g&-"tOr-E, -"tor-
Function: adjective
1 : detracting from the character or standing of something – often used with to, of, or from
2 : expressive of a low opinion : DISPARAGING
No, I see it as an alternative or second usage definition to the first definition, that’s why it is prefixed “b”

The second usage meaning does not replace or overide the primary meaning except for it’s application in common usage. In other words what you think it means has no effect on what it actually means. Therefore you cannot change its meaning but you can change your interpretation.
 
40.png
WhiteDove:
Probably people who dislike or resent America have quite a variety of reasons. I’ll list some possible ones below.
  1. JEALOUSY- This is a materially rich nation. People oftentimes will villify that which they envy.
  2. CULTURAL IMPERIALISM-- The world has been inundated with some of the more banal aspects of our culture, such as McDonalds, Walt Disney, Brittiney Spears and company. These things are negatives and don’t represent the best of what we have to offer.
  3. AMERICAN GREED-- In order to support our lifestyle and economic system we have garnered perhaps an unfair share of the Earth’s resources. We also rely on cheap labor from abroad in order to keep ourselves supplied with the multitude of inexpensive material goodies to which we’ve all become accustomed.
  4. LOUD MOUTHED AMERICANS WITH MONEY TO TRAVEL
    Unfortunately, some of our compatriots have embarrassed us while traveling abroad, giving us all a reputation as being loudmouths with too much money and not enough class.
  5. THE INABILITY OF ENGLISH SPEAKING PEOPLE TO LEARN OTHER LANGUAGES
    Therefore, ours has become utterly dominant. It makes us look uncouth to other people.
6)COWBOY STYLE FOREIGN POLICY— Sometimes it makes me want to cringe, such as when we’re bombing the heck out of some country and call it “Shock and Awe” and everyone cheers.
Why are you always saying bad things about me ?
 
40.png
Fitz:
As far as abortion, divorce, drugs, ehthanasia, etc. QUOTE]

Can’t you just say mercy kills instead of fancy words like that? It sounds like we’re talkin’ bout Asia’s youth.
 
40.png
777:
40.png
Fitz:
As far as abortion, divorce, drugs, ehthanasia, etc. QUOTE]

Can’t you just say mercy kills instead of fancy words like that? It sounds like we’re talkin’ bout Asia’s youth.
Oops, I misspelled euthanasia. Now I get what you are saying. OK, change it to mercy killing…:o
 
All of these selections above are so pathetic it makes me wonder. Why, Romano did you start this post anyway? You posted this as if the whole world hates us or something. Given the poison which comes from the flaming liberal media, hedonistic hollywood, the pop culture with their pro-abortion, pro-homosexuality, pro- euthanasia agenda it is understandable why the muslim world gets irritated. Deep down of course many of them want justice, and all the media do is disrespect it with their baised coverage of the war. Given that that the Republican party is pro-life with exceptions which puts them at odds with devout catholics and other religious alike. The fact that they support abusing the environment, advocate the death penalty, doesn’t help the poor, their greed for oil and so on its a wonder why media is so angry at the republican party. The sad truth is the media as a consequence loves to equate this with people who are pro-life and anti-homosexuality. Hollywood with all its violent films and filth infuriates the muslim world. This gives a bad message doesn’t it. The kingdom of heaven for example only increased anger towards christians over in the middle east. It gives off the impression that christians are a bunch of uncivilized people. Our nation is really going to get it if we don’t shape up and reform our sinful ways.
In the words of Father Corapi, “Wake up America.”
 
The “they” in the poll above is not America, it should be about the “they”, that “despise” America.

“They”, the people who have issue with America, are correct when they see the excesses (material or sexual perversity) and are turned off. BUT…

“They” have an inferiority complex

“They” would rather blame, than take resposibility for their own failures

“They” are militarily impotent

“They” can’t criticize their own government, for fear of getting shot, so they parrot their gov’t’s propaganda for survival’s sake

“They” oddly, hate religious freedom, or decry any form of secularism, and certainly despise them working side-by-side (Honestly, this is THE key to America’s success.)

“They” are either silver-spoon elitists, or suffering poor, who are told by the elites that their problems are with the US government, and not their own.

“They” are liberals, who history will show will have been the force behind the economic collapse of Europe.
 
40.png
Fitz:
I don’t begrudge you your opinion Shoshana. I know you have a good heart.
Code:
Thank you so much for your kindness and love, Fitz. You truly have made my day! :dancing: I will not even post anything like this anymore…better clean my own backyard! Catholics in Canada will suffer so much in the next few years as my country is going to hell…I am so frustrated. And yet, this is where I was put by my Lord and this is where I will bloom!😃

I thank God I have many good, good friends in the US (of course as well in Canada). This is my community and I do pray for all of us as we journey towards holiness…no matter where we are. I thank God for Catholic forums…it is the only place where I can cry in community over the sins of our countries…:crying: and not feel emotionally challenged. I received no consolation here for the plight of Terri Shiavo, the death of John Paul 2, etc…even the desecration of a Host on e-bay! I am able to join here in oetitions, prayers, tears and laughter…

Again, thank you for your love…👍

Blessings,
Shoshana
 
Let’s face it everyone, Non-Americans are all part of a dark, evil and sinister force that is against all that is good and right. They want to deny us our freedom to eat what we want, when we want it, to drive the type of car we so choose, and to have 80 channels on our cable of excellent programing. Why, they probably even want to take Judge Judy away from us!!! :eek:
 
40.png
WhiteDove:
Why, they probably even want to take Judge Judy away from us!!! :eek:
Code:
No way Jose, I love Judge Judy. She is the only one that makes sense…I love her no-nonsense attitude! I wish she lived in my own country. We could use her…👍
 
The United States is home to 5% of the world’s population, yet consumes 30% of the world’s resources. How is this justified? This isn’t just a fault of the United States, but also of all Western countries (it just so happens that the United States has the highest population…so her impact is far greater). My own country Canada actually consumes more energy (and perhaps uses more resources, not sure on this point) per capita than does the United States, so I’m not singling out the USA, but we can not continue to consume such excessive quantities of the world’s resources. There is more than enough food, for example, in the world to feed everyone…but there are certainly not sufficient resources to allow all the world to share in a Western lifestyle–it’s simply not possible, given the limited size of our planet, and the limits of our environment. How can we (the Western World again) justify our lavish lifestyles considering the following two facts: a) There is more than enough food to feed every human being alive b) Millions starve to death every year because this food is not properly distributed.
 
40.png
twf:
The United States is home to 5% of the world’s population, yet consumes 30% of the world’s resources. How is this justified?
What’s the US percentage of world production? (We make a bunch of stuff the world economy wants to have.)
 
40.png
twf:
The United States is home to 5% of the world’s population, yet consumes 30% of the world’s resources. How is this justified? This isn’t just a fault of the United States, but also of all Western countries (it just so happens that the United States has the highest population…so her impact is far greater). My own country Canada actually consumes more energy (and perhaps uses more resources, not sure on this point) per capita than does the United States, so I’m not singling out the USA, but we can not continue to consume such excessive quantities of the world’s resources. There is more than enough food, for example, in the world to feed everyone…but there are certainly not sufficient resources to allow all the world to share in a Western lifestyle–it’s simply not possible, given the limited size of our planet, and the limits of our environment. How can we (the Western World again) justify our lavish lifestyles considering the following two facts: a) There is more than enough food to feed every human being alive b) Millions starve to death every year because this food is not properly distributed.
We use more energy, but we use it to feed the world.
 
I don’t think everyone hates us, but…
  1. We want everyone to like us, even admire us and imitate us, preferably openly and often. Not going to happen.
  2. We want a lot of security, and since we can intervene a lot, we do. Maybe not wrong, per se, but no way to be popular.
  3. Not only do we tolerate a great deal of impurity, vulgarity, and immorality, we export it for profit. Not a recipe for creating an international admiration society.
  4. We are competitive, rather than humble… we speak too often of how we are best, too little of how much other cultures have to offer. When we travel, we do not make enough effort to respect the local customs and culture.
  5. We seem to believe we are entitled to a life that people in other countries don’t have. That breeds resentment, too.
  6. Because we are very powerful and speak of our way of life in such lofty terms, we are held to a higher standard. We don’t always live up to that.
On the other hand, many people dream of coming here because:
  1. We give the chance for people to say what they think and worship as they please.
  2. We give the chance to advance by working hard, valuing merit more than accident of birth.
  3. We welcome strangers and believe anyone can become our friend.
  4. We have great cities that combine the art and culture of many other nations, along with vast and beautiful undeveloped spaces.
 
I think BLB says it beautifully. I don’t think ‘universally despised’ is true, but I think there’s a lot of frustration out there! I think a lot of people are scared at how powerful the US is too!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top